• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Embarrassed to ask

KRM59

Well i am 50 years old and ex military but i still do not know for sure if i can carry openly in the city of Louisville without fear of Harrassment for Law enforcement. I understand there are places you can not carry open or concealed but what exactly are the laws here? i can't find anything spaciffic anywhere on line. Help please

neuroblades

OC is legal as long as you're legal to own a sidearm, point blank. Granted, there are places that you can NOT carry.

Check this out and it will tell you the specifics: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/237-00/110.PDF

You'll want to skip down into it. Go down to 16 and then A-H (Places you can't carry either OC or CC)

And there's no need to be embarrassed to ask anything on here. That's what we're all here for, the bettering of ourselves and knowledge. :)

Last edited:

KRM59

OC is legal as long as you're legal to own a sidearm, point blank. Granted, there are places that you can NOT carry.

Check this out and it will tell you the specifics: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/237-00/110.PDF

You'll want to skip down into it. Go down to 16 and then A-H (Places you can't carry either OC or CC)

And there's no need to be embarrassed to ask anything on here. That's what we're all here for, the bettering of ourselves and knowledge. :)

and again you have my thanks

flb_78

The only place I can find anything restricting open carry is...

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

Where can I openly carry a firearm? Click here for answer

There are no Kentucky Revised Statutes that govern the open carry of firearms by persons who lawfully possess such firearms except for the following:

* 527.070 - Unlawful possession (whether carried openly or concealed) of a weapon on school property, except for certain specified exceptions.
* KRS 244.125 - Which bars loaded firearms (concealed or otherwise) in places where alcohol is sold by the drink, except for certain specified exceptions.

If you have any questions on the open carry of firearms in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, including whether a particular mode of carrying a firearm would be deemed open or concealed carry, you may wish to consult an attorney.

Now, I have a question. The Lincoln County Sheriffs Office has a "NO GUNS" sign on the door. Could they arrest me for open carrying inside or would the state preemption protect me from prosecution?

hotrod

What to do

How about filing a writ of mandamus with the Circuit Court? The judge would have the authority to order the sheriff or mandate that the signage be removed. I'm not a lawyer yet, but I wish I were so that I could take officials like this to court and embarass the hell out of them. Of course, as soon as the sheriff is served the supeona he would take the sign down.

Last edited: