Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Owners Associations

Home Owners Associations

Can a HOA restrict legally carried firearms from common areas? IE a condo association with common area parks etc. Not a gated community.

Thanx

Banned

i would guess that they could, as they are private property.

is your home owners association considering it?

Legally, they probably can.

However, there's nothing to stop you from telling the story to a local news station.

-Richard-

Now isn't that a great question. I would say yes, as sickening as it is. I just found one more reason to stay in my old neighborhood, and leave all those subs with names like, The Staffordshire or ****** Bags Who Overpaid Place to the Libs.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    it probably depends on if you are considered part owner of the common areas. if it is YOUR private property, then i don't think they can. you'd have to read your agreement.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    Now isn't that a great question. I would say yes, as sickening as it is. I just found one more reason to stay in my old neighborhood, and leave all those subs with names like, The Staffordshire or ****** Bags Who Overpaid Place to the Libs.
    ROFL!

I would check the ownership agreement as well to determine if the common areas are somehow "owned/rented" by the condo owner. With the advent of the SCOTUS Ruling in McDonald, the "fundamental right of self-defense" has now become, IMO, a civil right. Does this have the potential to affect rental/leasing/ownership agreements?

Common areas are paid for and maintained using money from your association fees. Therefore you have rights to the property.

I hope I never ever, ever, ever have to live in a HOA controlled area, or somewhere where there's all kinds of stupid ordinances (which are 100% of them). It would drive me absolutely NUTS!

Banned
    yup, might just as well go live in a trailer park.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    yup, might just as well go live in a trailer park.
    I don't live anywhere near a trailer park. But, since my township doesn't have zoning ordinances, I can cut my grass when I have time, and not when I'm told, and I can take my time to fix my cars the right way, instead of being time limited by the government.

hey,,,whats wrong with a trailer park?

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    hey,,,whats wrong with a trailer park?
    Nothing, but apparently the only places that people can live fairly free from government or HOA's is in one, though that's never been the case for me

Banned
    Trailer parks suck. Ive been stuck in one for about 10 years. Always somebody banging on something, slamming the neighborhood with their car stereos, somebody's always drunk or high, people fighting, stereotypes, prejudice, poverty, I could go on.

The one trailer park I did live in for a couple of year had more restrictive rules than I've ever had before. There was limits on cars, dogs, wood piles, clothes lines, "appearance" # of visitors @ a time... It sucked, so I moved.

Banned
    All of the above and more. I hate where I live, and can do nothing about it. I dread coming home.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 07-17-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    I don't live anywhere near a trailer park. But, since my township doesn't have zoning ordinances, I can cut my grass when I have time, and not when I'm told, and I can take my time to fix my cars the right way, instead of being time limited by the government.
    Sounds like my kind of place.......wait a minute........it is my place! I have a little shack up in the woods near Kenton. You close?

A friend of mine lives in davison and he tells me that he has just as much right of use to the property as anyone else according to his assoc. agreement. I would think that these would be standard in Michigan.
    Last edited by Agent1; 07-17-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent1 View Post
    Sounds like my kind of place.......wait a minute........it is my place! I have a little shack up in the woods near Kenton. You close?
    Not all that far away....

Quote Originally Posted by sprinklerguy28 View Post
    Common areas are paid for and maintained using money from your association fees. Therefore you have rights to the property.
    True, but associations often vote on "rules" within the sub. You can't put up a fence in certain subs until it's voted on which type will be allowed...and thats on your own, bought and paid for private property!! No pools, no sheds, no play places...all in your OWN backyard. Would't surprise me at all if the common areas had(or could be voted in) restrictive rules against firearms. I'm sure these people have inadvertently signed some rights they weren't aware of when Pulte or Lombardo got them to sign on the line that is dotted in these subs.

i've built jacuzzi buses and parked them in my driveway, i have several cords of firewood piled up in the winter, I target practice in my back yard. no issues.

my town rocks!

I did have to get a retro-active permit when i installed my woodstove.....who would have thought that you need a permit for a woodstove? Just another tax... grrr!

All HOA's are required to follow the Michigan Condominium Act, the Fair Housing Act as well as the Michigan Civil Rights Act. They are able to restrict some things. However possession of a firearm is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post

I did have to get a retro-active permit when i installed my woodstove.....who would have thought that you need a permit for a woodstove? Just another tax... grrr!
    What the heck is a retro-active permit? Is that a state thing?

sorry, off topic. not technically a "retro-active" permit....

our township utilizes the county construction code authority to enforce building codes. Just my luck, one of the inspectors drives past my house on his way to work and happened to notice the new chimney sticking out of my roof.

then i was sent a letter telling me i was in violation and needed a permit to install a heating device or some such silliness. Who knew you needed a permit for that? I contacted them, paid the money for the permit, a different inspector came to my house and did the final inspection for the permit. I think it cost in the neighborhood of $100 bucks.

Seems kinda silly that i have to pay money to a government official for the privilege of having a wood stove in my living room.

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    sorry, off topic. not technically a "retro-active" permit....

our township utilizes the county construction code authority to enforce building codes. Just my luck, one of the inspectors drives past my house on his way to work and happened to notice the new chimney sticking out of my roof.

then i was sent a letter telling me i was in violation and needed a permit to install a heating device or some such silliness. Who knew you needed a permit for that? I contacted them, paid the money for the permit, a different inspector came to my house and did the final inspection for the permit. I think it cost in the neighborhood of $100 bucks.

Seems kinda silly that i have to pay money to a government official for the privilege of having a wood stove in my living room.
    That does seem silly, I guess if your furnace goes out and you need a new one, you have to set up an appointment with the inspectors too? Maybe you should buy one of those little, portable, electric heaters and call them for an inspection

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    That does seem silly, I guess if your furnace goes out and you need a new one, you have to set up an appointment with the inspectors too? Maybe you should buy one of those little, portable, electric heaters and call them for an inspection
    We need permits for nearly everything down here. That's probably why there is an "open carry permit" myth circulating.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast