• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Owners Associations

stainless1911

Banned
popkorn.gif

scot623

Now isn't that a great question. I would say yes, as sickening as it is. I just found one more reason to stay in my old neighborhood, and leave all those subs with names like, The Staffordshire or Douche Bags Who Overpaid Place to the Libs.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
it probably depends on if you are considered part owner of the common areas. if it is YOUR private property, then i don't think they can. you'd have to read your agreement.

PDinDetroit

Now isn't that a great question. I would say yes, as sickening as it is. I just found one more reason to stay in my old neighborhood, and leave all those subs with names like, The Staffordshire or Douche Bags Who Overpaid Place to the Libs.

ROFL!

I would check the ownership agreement as well to determine if the common areas are somehow "owned/rented" by the condo owner. With the advent of the SCOTUS Ruling in McDonald, the "fundamental right of self-defense" has now become, IMO, a civil right. Does this have the potential to affect rental/leasing/ownership agreements?

sprinklerguy28

Common areas are paid for and maintained using money from your association fees. Therefore you have rights to the property.

Yooper

I hope I never ever, ever, ever have to live in a HOA controlled area, or somewhere where there's all kinds of stupid ordinances (which are 100% of them). It would drive me absolutely NUTS!

stainless1911

Banned
Trailer parks suck. Ive been stuck in one for about 10 years. Always somebody banging on something, slamming the neighborhood with their car stereos, somebody's always drunk or high, people fighting, stereotypes, prejudice, poverty, I could go on.

Yooper

The one trailer park I did live in for a couple of year had more restrictive rules than I've ever had before. There was limits on cars, dogs, wood piles, clothes lines, "appearance" # of visitors @ a time... It sucked, so I moved.

Agent1

I don't live anywhere near a trailer park. But, since my township doesn't have zoning ordinances, I can cut my grass when I have time, and not when I'm told, and I can take my time to fix my cars the right way, instead of being time limited by the government.

Sounds like my kind of place.......wait a minute........it is my place! I have a little shack up in the woods near Kenton. You close?

A friend of mine lives in davison and he tells me that he has just as much right of use to the property as anyone else according to his assoc. agreement. I would think that these would be standard in Michigan.

Last edited:

scot623

Common areas are paid for and maintained using money from your association fees. Therefore you have rights to the property.

True, but associations often vote on "rules" within the sub. You can't put up a fence in certain subs until it's voted on which type will be allowed...and thats on your own, bought and paid for private property!! No pools, no sheds, no play places...all in your OWN backyard. Would't surprise me at all if the common areas had(or could be voted in) restrictive rules against firearms. I'm sure these people have inadvertently signed some rights they weren't aware of when Pulte or Lombardo got them to sign on the line that is dotted in these subs.

lapeer20m

i've built jacuzzi buses and parked them in my driveway, i have several cords of firewood piled up in the winter, I target practice in my back yard. no issues.

my town rocks!

I did have to get a retro-active permit when i installed my woodstove.....who would have thought that you need a permit for a woodstove? Just another tax... grrr!