• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can anyone help?

tweeder

i recently came into possision of a West Point Graduate Colt .45. and i am having trouble deciding if this should be a sunday carry gun or not. and yes it would be open carry due to the gold parts for show. my problem is i cant find any info on the firearm. i dont know if it is a valueable collectable or another colt firearm. i have no clue what its worth. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Never tell others how to live.

Gold is a very soft metal. If you wear a gold plated pistol, it is going to show that wear VERY fast and deflate the value of that pistol.

If it has the name Colt on it, it is indeed collectable, lots of Colt collectors out there, as to value, you will have to get it appraised or look it up yourself. You can spend some time on Gunbroker and find a sound balpark knowing that some folks too often think they indeed have THE GUN OF ALL TIMES when in reality they have a 3 or 400 dollar gun, but most price close to market.

If you are near St Louis, near St Charles Rock Road and Lindebergh you will find a small gun shop on the south side of the Rockroad east of Lind but before Cypress, arguably one of the top Colt collectors in the US.

Trail Creek is the name but no huge sign or anything.

tweeder

thanks guys i have looked all over online and from what i understand there are less than a handful come available to the public market. seeing as how they are only given out to USMA West Point grads. i will try the place you reccomended in st. louis. i would hate to make it a carry gun and ruin it.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 84

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
There is no way I would fire that, let alone carry it. Its production was indeed as a collectors item only though I am sure it is a fine weapon, it will lose vale doing either with it.

That pistol quite likely has less than 1000 brothers and they are initially available ONLY to grads.

You might call your insurance co to see if there is an appraisal form, I would not be surprised if that is unfired/scratched if it is not flirting with 5k in value, but I am not the colt expert. I would also call the shop and see if they can still do insurance appraisals.

Like I said, I am not a Colt collector myself but there are a lot of them. The collectible guns market is kinda soft because of the economy but there are some buyers out there. Personally, I would shine it up and seal it behind glass for a few more years, rare ones like that do not move around a lot.

tweeder

there is not a single scratch on it. it is flawless and unfired. i got it with the original box and paperwork. ive never bought anything for collection value. i like pourpose driven guns but when i seen i had to have it. originally i thought it would make a great OC gun cause of the artwork and detail, but im thinking that it will stay in the case.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 81

goalseter88

there is not a single scratch on it. it is flawless and unfired. i got it with the original box and paperwork. ive never bought anything for collection value. i like pourpose driven guns but when i seen i had to have it. originally i thought it would make a great OC gun cause of the artwork and detail, but im thinking that it will stay in the case.

nice looking colt.