• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something for my wife.

merc460

Well, due to some recent events http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?78072-Finally!!! , my wife wants a hand gun.

I will have to sit down and talk to here about what she wants, but would like input on what others wives or single women are carring. I am sure she will do both open and concealed (in her purse, large). She does not like recoil, found that out with my Judge. She did like shooting my 9X18 Makarovs though.

Daddyo

My wife has very small hands, so she's somewhat limited in what she can use effectively, however she loves her Keltec P32. She has also tried and liked the new baby Glock, but she can't work the slide release without extending it.
My advice is to run, don't walk, away from the S&W 642. The fool thing kicks like a mule. Only gun I've ever fired that left my hand numb. My wife developed a flinch from it that has taken years to get rid of.

the_fox_man4

here

Here if what my wife carrys Rugar lcp , She likes it alot, thinking about getting here a compact glock, like my glock 23 nexted my be in a 9mm so the 19 if she has Small Hands go for the 26 or 27 I don't like the subcompact one because the grips are way to short.but hey they may work for her

Attachments

• rugar lcp.jpg
    rugar lcp.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 87

Batousaii

My Wife has a lil Beretta

After a good couple hours searching through our local gun show, my wife stumbled upon a Beretta 84fs for around $500 bucks, a great deal for this little gun. Wasn't new, but was never shot that I can tell. She absolutely loves it. It holds 13 rounds of .380 automatic, and being just a little smaller than the full size 92fs it fits her small hands perfect. The double action is smooth and easy to pull, and has good safety features that have natural positions, easy to take apart and put together too. She has a concealed carry purse that has a hidden holster in a secret compartment. My wife also really liked the walther PK380, and was considering a couple smaller 9mm compacts. She has been fickle about the trigger pull on the double actions, and it was a good search to find one that she enjoyed. I would indeed recommend you take your wife to a large gun shop, gun show, or rental place where she can hold and feel the firearms for herself. The search can be half the fun, and choosing her own will endow her with a sense of pride and ownership in the weapon she chooses.

- Have fun and enjoy :)

Bat

irish52084

My girlfriend is the same way, she isn't a fan of my xd sub compact 40, but my cz 82 in 9x18 makarov she loves. If your wife really likes the makarov, maybe she'd be comfortable carrying one. That said, there are a lot of good 9x19 pistols in the same size as the makarov.

Dreamer

I've noticed that too. Two of the five women in my CHP class has Makarovs. And I've seen several women buying them in local gun stores. And they were REALLY good with them. Seems to be a popular firearm with women. I guess the smaller grip size and the VERY gentle recoil might have something to do with that...

merc460

I just happen to have 3 Makarovs. One I won't let her carry. It's the IJ-70 and has adjustable sights on the rear, so it has the high possibility of snagging, the other two are military issue, one I carry, the other I just gave to my son. "Mom" may over ride that if she likes it though. LOL If I can find a slide, I have enough parts to make a fourth. If I know my wife though, I will probably get stuck buying her a new one. THEN, gotta spring for a holster and she also wants a new purse. This is gonna get pricey! :cuss: LOL

The Wolfhound

Most any woman can learn the "push away" technique of racking a slide. A little training, a little practice, she could probably rack a 10mm! Find what fits her hand and that she is willing to practice with, that is the gun for her. My wife loves her LCP until it is range time, then she switches to her .40S&W. The LCP carries well and she does practice with it but when she found the "perfect fit" in a .40, it became her favorite even though it has a much stronger recoil spring to rack. Oh and the recoil of the larger and heavier .40 is more controlable than the .380 in the much smaller and lighter LCP.

Last edited:

daddy4count

my wife is 5'2 and 110 lbs... she does not carry her own gun... yet... but she loves to shoot my XD45

I chat with many women... friends, wives of friends, etc. about this on a regular basis. A lot of women do not like a .45 at first, thinking it is a loud boom and big recoil... but many of them find that there is far less muzzle flip than with say, a 9mm, even though the recoil is heavier.

Case in point: my buddy and his wife accompanied us to the range a few weeks ago. He brought his Beretta 9mm and I brought my XD. After a few mags full she asked to try my .45 since my wife was having so much fun shooting it. They swapped.

Both agreed that the .45 was easier to shoot, easier to handle. The recoil did leave her with a bruise on her hand... after several hundred rounds... but overall they both preferred the .45 because it was easier to hang on to...

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I'm a big fan of medium-framed .357 magnums like the one my wife carries:

SW66.jpg

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Well, due to some recent events http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?78072-Finally!!! , my wife wants a hand gun.

I will have to sit down and talk to here about what she wants, but would like input on what others wives or single women are carring. I am sure she will do both open and concealed (in her purse, large). She does not like recoil, found that out with my Judge. She did like shooting my 9X18 Makarovs though.

Remember to let HER pick out what she wants. Get her to shoot as many that she likes as she can before she decides, borrow from your buddies if you have to. My wife has recoil issues as well, but she perked on the Ruger LCP even though it has that monster trigger and slide spring. She now has a Crimson Trace on it as well...she picked it all out.

That said, the .380 has a snappy recoil that some folks simply do not like at all. We tried a Walther P22, but it was way too picky on ammo so we went with the XD9SC, but that was too bulky. She's shot most of the CZ's and likes shooting them, but wouldn't carry any of them. She has now found that she likes the Glock 19, but it is also too bulky for her to carry.

There are some nice Lady Smith products out there in the semiauto and revolver realms.

Last edited:

Uber_Olafsun

My wife has a Walther PK380 and loves it. The handle is thin enough and long enough that she has a great grip on it and it is not to big as well overall. It has a safety as well since she was concerned about having a round chambered and in her purse so we practice her drawing and sliding off the safety at the same time with her thumb. When she took her NRA course for her permit they practiced right and left hand and since the mag release is underneath the trigger on both sides it made it easier for her then mine would.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My significant other and best friend carries a Kel-Tec P11.

Bought it as an entry level introduction for her years back and though she has shot almost everything I own, she has never wanted anything else - says its perfect for her.

Slave

My wife is teeny tiny. She is about 4'11.75" She weights all off 100 lbs. Her waist is about 20 inches.

She carries a Kahr CW9. She didn't like the PM9 because it was a little too small, but the CW9 is less than 1" thick.

She carries in a crossbreed supertuck and 4 o'clock, and it melts away behind her hips.

She is blessed to have hips and a very nice bum. The kahr hides behind her hip even in low rise jeans like all womens jeans tend to be, and a regular sized t shirt.

There is no safety, but the trigger pull is long and smooth, breaks cleanly, and the recoil is great.

Only thing she is doing is adding a pink Hauge grip sleeve.

NRAMARINE

My wife carries a Charter Arms .38 spl undercover model. She abso-freakinlutely loves it. I tried to get her a Glock, woman is hooked on wheel guns. It is a reliable and simple gun. Easy to clean, always goes bang and is dirt simple to operate. All in all a good sidearm. Picked it up new for around $320.