• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something for my wife.

Regular_Joe

My wife carries the Sig P239 (9mm). The small grip fits her hand better than most. She has noticed that her hands/arms get a little tired after 30 minutes at the range - gun has a lot of steel and is heavy to her.
(http://www.sigsauer.com/products/showcatalogproductdetails.aspx?categoryid=9&productid=71)

She is currently shopping around and has her sights (extra credit for the obligatory gun pun) on the new Taurus Slim 709 - very light and easy to rack. The only problem is that we haven't been able to find a range that has it for rent.
(http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=611&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=700)

25sierraman

My wife carries a Charter Arms .38 spl undercover model. She abso-freakinlutely loves it. I tried to get her a Glock, woman is hooked on wheel guns. It is a reliable and simple gun. Easy to clean, always goes bang and is dirt simple to operate. All in all a good sidearm. Picked it up new for around $320.

I bought my Wife a charter arms mag pug 2.2in barrel and she loves it. Like NRAMARINE said its simple to use and i got it for $380 at the last Nations gun show here in VA. It was also a good compromise because she likes the 38spl's easy to control recoil and i can shoot 357mag if i choose. It's also extremely easy to conceal. overall a solid purchase and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

ooghost1oo

Just bought for my wife (and for my occasional carry) a Kel-Tec PF-9.

I've been waiting to handle one for months, and the main gun shop in my city just got some in. Fantastic. 9mm 7+1, $300 (half that of the Walther PPS), and is the thinnest and lightest 9mm ever made. Love it, cleaned it--can't wait to shoot it.

tcmech

My wife carries a taurus PT709 slim. She won't open carry it, but it's nice to know I have some back up.

Curmudgeon

Mrs Curmudgeon is currently sporting a Beretta Cougar 8045, .45ACP. She absolutely loves it and is a really good shot with it.

Her Beretta on the right, my XD45 tactical on the left...

DSC_0744.jpg

DSC_0731.jpg

Last edited:

MSteve

If she's going to be carrying OC, or in a large purse, I'd go with a decent 9mm, instead of the mouse guns. Nothing against them for pocket carry, but unless that's what you're doing, it's kind of a waste.

I'd recommend an XD subcompact. It's great for being able to varry capacity by going with the short mag in the purse, or the long mag for OC/in the house. The grip safety, and passive trigger make a good safety combo for less experienced shooters.
I'f she doesn't mind the extra inch, I'd recommend an M&P compact over the XD. It's a little larger, but I like it better. You can't go wrong with either, though. (One other note, my wife has issues racking the slide on my Sig P228/9mm, but can rack the slide on my M&Pc/.357sig easily).

merc460

Thanks for all of replies!!! We have went out and checked a few of the suggestions. She hasn't found any she "likes" yet. She keeps coming back to my Makarov. She is also getting cold feet about the whole deal. I think she was just really scared when she felt danger, and now that it is gone she is getting comfortable again. I'm trying to stay on her, but she gets, ummm, touchy about it. I will stay on her.

Nevada carrier

If your wife digs open carry, have her try to shoot a Govt. Model 1911, if she's more inclined to carry concealed, have her try to shoot a Commander model. My girlfriend was pretty intimidated by such a large firearm and such a large caliber, but after she realized that the recoil wasn't going to launch her back 6 feet when she squeezed the trigger and she really could control it, she loved the 1911.

HvyMtl

I would look at the Cornered Cat http://corneredcat.com/ it is a website about women carrying firearms. A good read.

Thoughts: Instead of suggesting a specific firearm, I would suggest this: Go to a range which rents firearms. Take yours, and rent calibers you do not have.

have her shoot a 38 special, a 9, 40, 45, 357. See which caliber she likes. Have her shoot wheel and semi-auto. See which type she likes.

Then, look for a quality firearm in this caliber and type. Make sure she is happy with the feel in her hand, and how the gun fits in her aim.

Remember: If she is not happy with the gun, she will never carry it. SHE has to make the decision as to what she carries. IF possible (it is rare) have her rent and shoot the specific model she wants at the range before purchase.

I would advise you to have a 3rd party teach her proper safety and shooting. This way, it is not YOUR fault... One of the quickest ways of getting into marital arguments is trying to teach your soul mate about firearms. Save yourselves the irritation.

Be supportive. Remind her how proud of her you are.

She wouldn't have a sister who is single, would she? ;)

At Mrs. Curmudgeon, Nice holster. Excellent firearm. Love the Tactical Camo Winter Sweater! ;)

Last edited:

JeffinWesternWA

Medium Framed 9MM/.38 REVOLVER. Laser/Grip sights too. Never worry about "one in the chamber", spring pressures, safety use, etc., reliable, simple, easy to teach, PROVEN over the years. My galfriend was "sold" a complicated 9mm semi auto as her first gun. Never could remember the "chambering" and the complicatd (for her) safety usage. Hand strength/coordination for chambering wasn't satisfactory either. Leaving it around gathers dust, etc., that can be hazardous to the weapon and owner. I took her to the range, gave her my Taurus M85 .38 snubbie. She shoots TIGHT, carries and now is confident. Gun by the bedside too. If someone isn't gonna shoot at least 2x a year, constantly check/clean the weapon, then a solid revolver would be my choice. I'm a retired USAF officer and the .38 was my sidearm. Today I carry the S&W 642 .38+P w/ laser sights and long grip. That weapon does need practice to stay sharp with but, I rarely have to "pay attention" to it, just "strap and go" with confidence. Leave a speed loader in the car, bed stand and jacket pockets....