• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC outing today.

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
Been reading OCDO for awhile, and finally took the plunge today. I have always carried concealed in the past.
Sorry for the long post.
Since it was going to be hot in the Denver area, the Wifey and I decided to head up to RMNP today and get out of the heat. I decided that today I would carry the full size H&K USP in my Serpa holster.
We started by stopping in Estes Park for breakfast at our normal place, the Bighorn Cafe.
From there we went up into the park and spent the entire day there, and it was very busy.
When we got to the alpine visitor center at the top it was packed with people.....I didn't go into any building facilities there...not even the (as my Brother put it) Fed-Head.
My Wife mentioned that she saw a few people point and start talking, but I was oblivious to all this, as I was busy shooting....my Nikon.
On the way down towards Granby and Shadow Mountain, we decided to stop at an overlook to take some more pictures. We pulled in next to 3 park ranger vehicles and got out. I got a bit of a look (and no conversation) from one officer, but the other 2 were both friendly and we all had a good conversation about how busy they were and the fact that we were at the park to get out of the heat.
The last part was when we stopped at the Holzwarth Historic Site. We saw a couple of moose and then started heading towards the trailhead. Once we got there, the nice lady (volunteer) said that it was a 1 mile round trip to see the old homestead. I told the Wife that I would like to go see it, but I would need to head back to the car to drop off 'this'. The volunteer, looking at the camera with the big zoom lens on it that I could leave it with her and get it on the way back. When I pointed to my pistol, she said "Oh, you can't leave that here." I took it back to the car, locked it in the trunk and had a great short hike....I only disarmed because I wanted to go into the buildings.

The entire day was awesome.....great scenery, great company with the Wife and no issues at all.

Sig229

Been reading OCDO for awhile, and finally took the plunge today. I have always carried concealed in the past.
Sorry for the long post.
Since it was going to be hot in the Denver area, the Wifey and I decided to head up to RMNP today and get out of the heat. I decided that today I would carry the full size H&K USP in my Serpa holster.
We started by stopping in Estes Park for breakfast at our normal place, the Bighorn Cafe.
From there we went up into the park and spent the entire day there, and it was very busy.
When we got to the alpine visitor center at the top it was packed with people.....I didn't go into any building facilities there...not even the (as my Brother put it) Fed-Head.
My Wife mentioned that she saw a few people point and start talking, but I was oblivious to all this, as I was busy shooting....my Nikon.
On the way down towards Granby and Shadow Mountain, we decided to stop at an overlook to take some more pictures. We pulled in next to 3 park ranger vehicles and got out. I got a bit of a look (and no conversation) from one officer, but the other 2 were both friendly and we all had a good conversation about how busy they were and the fact that we were at the park to get out of the heat.
The last part was when we stopped at the Holzwarth Historic Site. We saw a couple of moose and then started heading towards the trailhead. Once we got there, the nice lady (volunteer) said that it was a 1 mile round trip to see the old homestead. I told the Wife that I would like to go see it, but I would need to head back to the car to drop off 'this'. The volunteer, looking at the camera with the big zoom lens on it that I could leave it with her and get it on the way back. When I pointed to my pistol, she said "Oh, you can't leave that here." I took it back to the car, locked it in the trunk and had a great short hike....I only disarmed because I wanted to go into the buildings.

The entire day was awesome.....great scenery, great company with the Wife and no issues at all.

Good to hear you had a positive OC experience! Now keep it up until its just natural for you.

Estes park is an amazing place and I think every American should visit there before they die. And OC while they are at it! lol

Here is one of the pics I took when there:
Estes_Cloud_Cover_valley.jpg

Kingfish

I truly loved OCing in CO. Felt very very free. I OCed in TN but is not the same.

I took it back to the car, locked it in the trunk and had a great short hike....I only disarmed because I wanted to go into the buildings.
Did these building house Fed employees and did they have signs?

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
I truly loved OCing in CO. Felt very very free. I OCed in TN but is not the same.

Did these building house Fed employees and did they have signs?

You bring up a good point.....I would have probably been ok in a few of the cabins, but they were doing tours with park employees in some of the others, so not really sure. There were no signs posted.

mahkagari

No signs posted = Good to go.

Oh...WELCOME!!!

Is it? The ranger stations and visitor's centers I saw when I was there a couple of weeks ago had big pretty No Guns signs (can't recall if they said my Buck 119 Special hunting knife was allowed on my belt). Isn't there a law about Federal "buildings" or does it specifically apply to offices of some sort? I keep meaning to double-check.

Last edited:

spinner

My first day was Sat. also. Almost the same, my wife noticed more than me on who was staring. But it's pretty common here in NC. It felt weird at first but became more normal as the day went on. but good for you.

mahkagari

Almost the same, my wife noticed more than me on who was staring.

Does this bug anyone else? I hate it when I do that. Carrying gets to be so "normal" for me, that I don't notice people staring and pointing fingers. Which always makes me question, if I didn't see that, would I notice a BG's out of place behaviour?

Kingfish

Is it? The ranger stations and visitor's centers I saw when I was there a couple of weeks ago had big pretty No Guns signs (can't recall if they said my Buck 119 Special hunting knife was allowed on my belt). Isn't there a law about Federal "buildings" or does it specifically apply to offices of some sort? I keep meaning to double-check.

Right. No carry into ranger stations, gift shops or any other building where Fed employees actually work. These places will be posted.

Unattended restrooms (outside entrances) and other places that do not house employees are good to go.

As always though do your research...IANAL

ZackL

Does this bug anyone else? I hate it when I do that. Carrying gets to be so "normal" for me, that I don't notice people staring and pointing fingers. Which always makes me question, if I didn't see that, would I notice a BG's out of place behaviour?

I don't think that you don't notice. I have found myself ignoring them to the point that it seems like I didn't really notice them at all until a family member points it out. It's just that, to a certain extent, you expect to be gawked at and have people stare at you as you pass because OC isn't something that is commonly seen with people not in a security field or LE. I notice people's behavior more when I'm carrying, but their particular mannerisms don't really seem that remarkable after the fact. Pay attention the next time you OC and if you really don't notice them (as in you aren't aware of them and what they are doing), then it may be time to reassess situational awareness, but I can almost guarantee that you'll see them and your brain, at least, will keep track of them.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I got a bit of a look (and no conversation) from one officer, but the other 2 were both friendly and we all had a good conversation about how busy they were and the fact that we were at the park to get out of the heat.

Good conversations with the local law enforcement is a great way to help continue building bridges of relationships between those of us who are allowed to defend ourselves, and those of us who are authorized to enforce the law.

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
Good conversations with the local law enforcement is a great way to help continue building bridges of relationships between those of us who are allowed to defend ourselves, and those of us who are authorized to enforce the law.

I completely agree with this....I have always tried to have pleasant conversations with LEO's when I see them, even just saying 'hi' as we pass each other.