• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knives

j4l

Come at me bro!

Bringing a knife to a gun fight, even a really big knife, is fail.

Guns exist. This relegates knives to mere utility function, for those of us civilized enough to carry a gun...

But, a good knife can come in handy- and serve as a good back-up to a sidearm, should something go wrong, run out of ammo, etc. I dont think anyone is suggesting "taking a knife to gunfight" on here.

That aside, I began making, carrying and selling my own knives for over the last yr. or so. I always have a knife, of one type or other, on my person, with or without my sidearm. Often times, 2 or more ( Halligan neck knife, pocket-folder,plus on fixed-blade on the belt.)
My larger ones, though, I mainly wear OC @/around the home. More for practical reasons, than any OC/CC concerns of the public, when out and about. Still working on sheath ideas for my larger ones, that are comfy to sit/drive/etc. with day-to-day.

My latest pocket folder -Maple handles - just finshing this one, actually
mf1001_zpse2ed7371.jpg

My larger one- bout 4.75" AUS8 blade
mtkpugioopus.jpg

This one, however, goes with me just about everywhere- handy little thing- I use it for odd tasks/chores around the home, and for cutting my leathers and hides for sheaths, and holsters-
WF2008.jpg

WF2006.jpg

Another of my lil ones= with Purpleheart and Bocote handles - Maple handles for same, are in the works now.

pb1006.jpg

And, another of my big ones- this one, to be made with Purpleheart handles, is going to a Cav Scout troop in Afghanistan when she's finished.

p30007_zps4ce0361d.jpg

And the smaller twin of my Large one- a bit more practical for day-to-day OC carry -

pg2002.jpg

pg2008.jpg

With Mahogany for the handles
pugjr0002.jpg

Last edited:

rvrctyrngr

Actually, if you're within 5 ft of me, I'm not going for my gun. A gun does not make you invincible. Potentially in a bad situation, it can be a liability. I carry every day, but I don't count on having a gun to keep me safe. It is merely a tool that I incorporate into my battle plan.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

What he said.

Bring a gun to my knife fight...you WILL lose!

DamonK

What he said.

Bring a gun to my knife fight...you WILL lose!

You don't have a lot of close quarters experience do you? All I have to do is keep your strong side occupied, and you're done if you only have a gun. Guns are tools, nothing more. At distance, they are far superior. But in hand to hand, they are next to useless against someone that knows what they are doing. I don't bring knives to gunfights. I don't bring guns to knife fights. I bring myself with whatever tools I have available to any situation that I'm forced into.

Guns don't make you invincible.

RRobaldo

But, a good knife can come in handy- and serve as a good back-up to a sidearm, should something go wrong, run out of ammo, etc. I dont think anyone is suggesting "taking a knife to gunfight" on here.

That aside, I began making, carrying and selling my own knives for over the last yr. or so. I always have a knife, of one type or other, on my person, with or without my sidearm. Often times, 2 or more ( Halligan neck knife, pocket-folder,plus on fixed-blade on the belt.)
My larger ones, though, I mainly wear OC @/around the home. More for practical reasons, than any OC/CC concerns of the public, when out and about. Still working on sheath ideas for my larger ones, that are comfy to sit/drive/etc. with day-to-day.

My latest pocket folder -Maple handles - just finshing this one, actually
mf1001_zpse2ed7371.jpg

My larger one- bout 4.75" AUS8 blade
mtkpugioopus.jpg

This one, however, goes with me just about everywhere- handy little thing- I use it for odd tasks/chores around the home, and for cutting my leathers and hides for sheaths, and holsters-
WF2008.jpg

WF2006.jpg

Another of my lil ones= with Purpleheart and Bocote handles - Maple handles for same, are in the works now.

pb1006.jpg

And, another of my big ones- this one, to be made with Purpleheart handles, is going to a Cav Scout troop in Afghanistan when she's finished.

p30007_zps4ce0361d.jpg

And the smaller twin of my Large one- a bit more practical for day-to-day OC carry -

pg2002.jpg

pg2008.jpg

With Mahogany for the handles
pugjr0002.jpg

Nice! Great to see a fellow knifemaker on the forum!

I've been making my own blades for about 5 years, mostly O1 or 1095 high carbon fixed blades. More recently recently I've started venturing ventured into making liner lock folders. I'm also just now starting to venture into selling my work.

j4l

Nice! Great to see a fellow knifemaker on the forum!

I've been making my own blades for about 5 years, mostly O1 or 1095 high carbon fixed blades. More recently recently I've started venturing ventured into making liner lock folders. I'm also just now starting to venture into selling my work.

Fun,isnt it? And admittedly, addictive. I've got like 5 projects on the bench @ the moment lol.
One super=annoying thing about the folders, though- all those tiny-arsed screws. I think I end up spending 2/3rd of my assembly-time, dropping, searching for, and trying to hold onto that tiny fng screws grrrrr

rvrctyrngr

You don't have a lot of close quarters experience do you? All I have to do is keep your strong side occupied, and you're done if you only have a gun. Guns are tools, nothing more. At distance, they are far superior. But in hand to hand, they are next to useless against someone that knows what they are doing. I don't bring knives to gunfights. I don't bring guns to knife fights. I bring myself with whatever tools I have available to any situation that I'm forced into.

Guns don't make you invincible.

Did you even read what I wrote?

I was AGREEING with you. I don't always have a firearm, but I always have a blade or two.

Yes, I've got a wee bit of experience in CQB...and I have TWO hands, not just one.

DamonK

Did you even read what I wrote?

I was AGREEING with you. I don't always have a firearm, but I always have a blade or two.

Yes, I've got a wee bit of experience in CQB...and I have TWO hands, not just one.

You are right, I misread what you said. I apologize.

sharkey

Only in AZ LOL. Ninja's SA was bad though, he turned his back to the man who touched his sword.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2012/10/light_rail_fight_broken_up_by.php

[video=youtube;MRMNwq3ehFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRMNwq3ehFc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

ETA OMG! That was Sycamore and Main in Mesa. ROFLMAO.

ETA2: I found this link. Apparently the guy who was being defended went for the sword (ahem, Katana) because he didn't know if the katana wielder was on his side or not.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Man-with-sword-breaks-up-fight-on-light-rail-train-175071991.html

Last edited:

j4l

Only in AZ LOL. Ninja's SA was bad though, he turned his back to the man who touched his sword.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2012/10/light_rail_fight_broken_up_by.php

[video=youtube;MRMNwq3ehFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRMNwq3ehFc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

ETA OMG! That was Sycamore and Main in Mesa. ROFLMAO.

ETA2: I found this link. Apparently the guy who was being defended went for the sword (ahem, Katana) because he didn't know if the katana wielder was on his side or not.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Man-with-sword-breaks-up-fight-on-light-rail-train-175071991.html

Not the brightest bulb on the old X-mas tree, this clown. He could have gotten himself disarmed, and shredded with his own blade in such a narrow/minimal area like that.

WalkingWolf

Not the brightest bulb on the old X-mas tree, this clown. He could have gotten himself disarmed, and shredded with his own blade in such a narrow/minimal area like that.

But he did not get himself disarmed or shredded. The above sounds just like what an anti would say to a OCer.

j4l

But he did not get himself disarmed or shredded. The above sounds just like what an anti would say to a OCer.

One's got nothing, whatsoever, to do with the other. So no point, whatsoever, attempting to tie the two.So please save such nonsense for an actual anti, eh?

Im just saying wrong tool for the task @ hand. A knife? sure. A Katana inside that confined space? errrr...no. May have been all he had on-hand, but..better not to bother.

WalkingWolf

One's got nothing, whatsoever, to do with the other. So no point, whatsoever, attempting to tie the two.So please save such nonsense for an actual anti, eh?

Im just saying wrong tool for the task @ hand. A knife? sure. A Katana inside that confined space? errrr...no. May have been all he had on-hand, but..better not to bother.

Citations Please?

WalkingWolf

How does one 'cite' an opinion?
You did not state it as an opinion, so you have nothing to back up your contention, just like an anti...

Just what do you think the close quarters combat weapon was before firearms? Or even when firearms were still primitive, one shot and muzzleloading? Just how much room was there on sailing vessels?

Last edited:

j4l

You did not state it as an opinion, so you have nothing to back up your contention, just like an anti...

Just what do you think the close quarters combat weapon was before firearms? Or even when firearms were still primitive, one shot and muzzleloading? Just how much room was there on sailing vessels?

Well, not that there were that many Samurai running about the decks of most Naval vessels back in the day... but, to CITE the dimensions of one typical example of the sort of ship I think you are imagining (for whatever reason...:banghead: )

Name: HMS Ambuscade
Acquired: 21 April 1746
Fate: Sold to private adventurers on 9 February 1762
General characteristics
Class & type: 40-gun fifth rate frigate (among the smaller of the warships, of the period- 1st rates, etc. being slightly larger)
Tons burthen: 740 72/94 bm
Length: 132 ft 6 in (40.4 m) (overall)
107 ft 5.5 in (32.8 m) (keel)
Beam: 36 ft (11.0 m)

Depth of hold: 10 ft 6 in (3.20 m)
Sail plan: Full-rigged ship
Complement: 250
Armament:

Upper deck: 26 x 12pdrs
Quarter deck: 10 x 6pdrs
Forecastle: 4 x 6pdrs

Minus personnel, rigging, main-deck gunnery and associated gear, and the like, 36ft x 107 ft, seems to be considerably more room than the tight confines of that little vehicle they were in, on the video. In any event, for tighter-spaces/indoors, confined areas, the Samurai had a shorter sword for such situations -Wakizashi- typically, of 12" to 24" in length, rather than the full-on Katana (usually 28" in length), or even more often, Tanto knives.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Well, not that there were that many Samurai running about the decks of most Naval vessels back in the day... but, to CITE the dimensions of one typical example of the sort of ship I think you are imagining (for whatever reason...:banghead: )

Name: HMS Ambuscade
Acquired: 21 April 1746
Fate: Sold to private adventurers on 9 February 1762
General characteristics
Class & type: 40-gun fifth rate frigate (among the smaller of the warships, of the period- 1st rates, etc. being slightly larger)
Tons burthen: 740 72/94 bm
Length: 132 ft 6 in (40.4 m) (overall)
107 ft 5.5 in (32.8 m) (keel)
Beam: 36 ft (11.0 m)

Depth of hold: 10 ft 6 in (3.20 m)
Sail plan: Full-rigged ship
Complement: 250
Armament:

Upper deck: 26 x 12pdrs
Quarter deck: 10 x 6pdrs
Forecastle: 4 x 6pdrs

Minus personnel, rigging, main-deck gunnery and associated gear, and the like, 36ft x 107 ft, seems to be considerably more room than the tight confines of that little vehicle they were in, on the video. In any event, for tighter-spaces/indoors, confined areas, the Samurai had a shorter sword for such situations -Wakizashi- typically, of 12" to 24" in length, rather than the full-on Katana (usually 28" in length), or even more often, Tanto knives.

You are claiming that a sailing vessel has more space than a train? You honestly believe they were flat tops like carriers? LMAO!

You know there is difference between a barge and a sailing ship...

Last edited:

rvrctyrngr

You're arguing with the wrong guy.

RRobaldo

Fun,isnt it? And admittedly, addictive. I've got like 5 projects on the bench @ the moment lol.
One super=annoying thing about the folders, though- all those tiny-arsed screws. I think I end up spending 2/3rd of my assembly-time, dropping, searching for, and trying to hold onto that tiny fng screws grrrrr

I share you're pain there brother. I've spent much time on my hands & knees raking through the carpet looking for those tiny screws. I manage to drop one on nearly every folder I make!

I almost always have multiple projects going. Right now I have 2 folders and 3 fixed blades on my bench awaiting completion. Hard to find enough time with a full time job and a wife that wants to spend time with me.

Last edited: