• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wallmart not oc friendly! (yakima)

rob ral

copied from nwcdl.org:

i did call the 253 number all it i got was the southhill wal mart security and they didnt know where to direct me and the security guy i talked to said he didnt know who for me to talk to about it and he also said he could not give me a policy copy.

rob ral

Hopefully while you were there you got the names of everyone that said that you can not carry per Wal-Mart policy, and hopefully next time you go it will be to get a recorder.

i was so mad i will honestly say i did not get there names but when i went to get there names the one lady said she could not give me there names because she would lose her job if she did and yes she was a witness to what happened. so yes strike 1 on my part. trying to stay calm with these liberal idiots but it is so damn . hard. but also i will be getting a recorder from now on to carry.

Last edited:

rob ral

A little hot under the collar?

You have came across those that are making it up as it goes and then you spread the fuel by seeking out more to become involved, well unfortunately likely in a negative way.

rob535861 I have responded to your PM and will be willing to assist in what I can.

Do not let someone pull your strings, stay calm and polite at all times and so what they called Yakima PD, what occur was the Manager was able to get a little bit of a legal question answered, they will not respond which is a big move.

Note I contacted Chief Granato about the incident with Erich_Kopp and the open carry issue in Yakima and then to the City Attorney which training is going on right now for all Officers at YPD on the issues of Open Carry and we will be able to get that information at the end of the month.
At some level this is starting to work even though you had an issue with a Manager at Walmart.

Even talking with a YPD Officer in many occasions do not have the straight information as I found out when I had an appointment with the YPD Chief on the No Guns Ordinance in City Parks and he even went to a point that he would cite me, Chief agreed with me as well as the City Council and 3 ordinances were either removed or corrected.
Ask question of those who can do something about it, otherwise you will get a mixed bag of answers.

The number to call is 1-800-WALMART and the ball will get to moving but first if you and Erich want to meet for coffee before calling, PM me.

how do i do it in a negative way? how am i spreading the fuel? yes im pretty new to the website but not to open carry. i have learned alot on this site on what to do and what not to do. and i thank everyone for there help. but honestly big dave i think there is a discrimination going on with these 2 managers from walmart and yes i could be wrong. it just feels like it.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
rob my meaning behind adding fuel to the fire, is that you sought out others in attempt to side with you and when it was not found, well I can see you added to fuel your fire and promote the Managers and Security to unite in the cause to not allow open carry.

Not to be overly concern it is a normal reaction when confronted when one feels they have been wronged as in this case.

Just note, if you are asked to leave for any reason, one must leave or be trespassed that is until our 2nd Amendment Rights are respected as a civil right as Freedom of Religion or Speech which still has a couple of restrictions.

Note that when approaching this, they are a private company and corporate can turn around and just say NOPE NO MORE and CLICK end of discussion.
Present yourself in a calm and informed position and go into this knowing where you really stand and try to persuade them into your way of thinking.

This should not be a IN YOUR FACE OR SHOVE IT DOWN THEIR THROAT approach, you will need to be a diplomat.

On the reverse discrimination issue, did they allow another person of a different origin open carry and picked you out?
I know the feeling on this as it does happen but to prove it is another issue.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

All it took for me is to go to Walmart website and e-mail them through there. I got a call from the manager who apologized, because the folks who aproached me misrepresented themselves as management and misrepresented Wal-mart policy. So that might be all it takes too.

Metal_Monkey

I OC at almost every wal-mart north of Tacoma with no issues. May be cause I look like the guy that would use it, but hey it still is what it is. Although I do not OC(Just throw the shirt over the grip) at the Marysville one because the Tulalip officers "hate whitey" and will not waste a minute to mess with you if they get the chance. I know that first hand.

John Hardin

All it took for me is to go to Walmart website and e-mail them through there. I got a call from the manager who apologized, because the folks who aproached me misrepresented themselves as management and misrepresented Wal-mart policy. So that might be all it takes too.
The highlighted part is critical. If this happens to you, get names! Look for nametags!

Does WalMart post the store manager names at the entrance?

Batousaii

Gunslinging

I wear my sixgun and drop loops in Walmart fairly regularly, never had an issue. I think it was an over zealous worker who took "policy" in to their own hands and made up whatever they wanted to fit his/her agenda. It's sad, but some will do that. I am sure walmart doesnt refelct that persons views.

Bat

amzbrady

I always wonder what others (the more well versed experienced open carriers who really know the laws) would do, in an instance where a manger at say a Wal-mart was afraid of confrontation, and called the police (some are still untrained on state laws and manipulate them, as seen in Vancouver), Question: If you were in a Wal-Mart and the police came up to you and told you to leave what would you do, leave, ask to see the managment, Do the police have authority to tell you to leave a business, can they act directly for a business?

amzbrady

I wear my sixgun and drop loops in Walmart fairly regularly, never had an issue. I think it was an over zealous worker who took "policy" in to their own hands and made up whatever they wanted to fit his/her agenda. It's sad, but some will do that. I am sure walmart doesnt refelct that persons views.

Bat

Kudo's Bat. I think it's awesome that you wear a sixgun in that fashion. I love the look of revolvers. Have yet to own one though. Some refer to us carrying as trying to live in the wild west... I think it's wild that we can openly carry what we want in the west, too.

amlevin

They do allow it. I am Asset Protection for Wal Mart. We have a training bulletin in our Wal Mart system that specifically says to NOT call 911 if we see someone carrying a holstered firearm, because they may be carrying per law, if the state allows it. There is no policy that restricts citizens from carrying firearms.

I'm sure Wal-Mart has tons of policy that covers misbehavior by employees. What's the penalty/punishment for misrepresenting Corporate Policy to customers? Employees that want to make up policy as they go are certainly operating outside the corporate rules and should be heavily penalized for p!$$!ing off customers.

On the topic of a boycott, sorry but I haven't seen one that worked yet against a corporation the size of Wal-Mart. There are too damned many out there that will shop there because of price rather than putting their principles first. There are probably enough illegals entering this country every day that become new wal-mart customers to replace any of those reading this forum tha would boycott.

The way to put this kind of action to rest is to go after those who think THEY make the rules in the store. Formal complaints, in writing and mailed, tend to make the most effective ones. In a large Corporation complaint letters are given more attention than a barrage of e-mails. E-mail goes into a computer file to be ignored but paper complaints tend to be noticed as they often even make the CEO's desk. I am retired from a large corporation and have had some experience in this area. A phone call is noted and a report generated. It's then passed down to the region level where it is often ignored. An e-mail MIGHT get forwarded to a regional manager where it is treated pretty much the same way. LETTERS are often copied and circulated among Corporate Staff. It is then sent to region staff with a cover note saying generally "Handle This!!" "I don't ever want to get another letter like this again!"
That's the complaint that will get acted on.

Practice your writing skills or have someone help you. Write a complaint letter for greater effect.

aadvark

1800-WAL-MART tells me that: WAL-MART follows State and Federal Law.
However, when I called Bentonville, they called ahead to the Store to let them know I was coming with a Firearm.
Bentonville says something about Managorial Discrestion, however; 1800-WAL-MART did not say this, though.

rob ral

thank you everyone

thank you everyone for your advice and i have taken it. i called the manager today at the yakima walmart he was out but when i talked to the next manager in line named brian he said those managers were new and he would inform them of policy he said the only policy they have is if you buy ammo and carrying a firearm they would walk me to the door with it and im fine with that. also he said he would talk to the managers about the policy because he said he felt they needed to get a little more training on this since they were new managers. and he said he would fix it.
im still going to get a copy of corporate policy though at least for myself and peace of mind. thank you everyone. for your input.

rob ral

rob my meaning behind adding fuel to the fire, is that you sought out others in attempt to side with you and when it was not found, well I can see you added to fuel your fire and promote the Managers and Security to unite in the cause to not allow open carry.

Not to be overly concern it is a normal reaction when confronted when one feels they have been wronged as in this case.

Just note, if you are asked to leave for any reason, one must leave or be trespassed that is until our 2nd Amendment Rights are respected as a civil right as Freedom of Religion or Speech which still has a couple of restrictions.

Note that when approaching this, they are a private company and corporate can turn around and just say NOPE NO MORE and CLICK end of discussion.
Present yourself in a calm and informed position and go into this knowing where you really stand and try to persuade them into your way of thinking.

This should not be a IN YOUR FACE OR SHOVE IT DOWN THEIR THROAT approach, you will need to be a diplomat.

On the reverse discrimination issue, did they allow another person of a different origin open carry and picked you out?
I know the feeling on this as it does happen but to prove it is another issue.[/QUO

ok i understand now thanks big dave. you have been alot of help.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

I know the feeling on this as it does happen but to prove it is another issue.

ok i understand now thanks big dave. you have been alot of help.

Rob just so you know I would have had to restrain myself as well in the incident faced with the same issues, I have found cooler heads to prevail and good work.

Last edited:

Metal_Monkey

I always wonder what others (the more well versed experienced open carriers who really know the laws) would do, in an instance where a manger at say a Wal-mart was afraid of confrontation, and called the police (some are still untrained on state laws and manipulate them, as seen in Vancouver), Question: If you were in a Wal-Mart and the police came up to you and told you to leave what would you do, leave, ask to see the managment, Do the police have authority to tell you to leave a business, can they act directly for a business?

The police will make you leave the property if they(wal-mart) ask them to do so. I would just leave before it became an issue and do what the others are advising and talk to higher management. Personally I avoid the police at all costs...so that's my .2

Last edited:

WinchesterModel12

I was in the Lacey wal-mart just yesterday and did not have any problems with OC. So if it is new policy it didn't get down to everybody yet, but i will assume that the manager(s) at the yakima store were just making stuff up because they didn't like it.

TechnoWeenie

I've been in such a situation.

A manager told me to conceal, I politely informed him that although I have a CPL, I carry openly, and that he may be asking someone to break the law, because you don't need a CPL to carry openly, but you do need one to conceal. He said if I had a CPL that meant I had to conceal. I respectfully disagreed, and explained the law. He said it was making a bunch of customers nervous, which was funny, because the store was dead and I hadn't seen ONE customer since I'd been there.... I told him that corporate allows OC, but I'll be happy to cover up while he goes to check on it, if it made him more comfortable, I then flopped a shirt over, then suggested that he could also contact the police if he had questions about the legality of open carry.. he matter of factly stated that 'they were already on their way'...... They were working on my car, and couldn't go anywhere anyway.... Two officers showed up.. One wearing a wheel gun, who was more relaxed, casual, very polite and professional, and another officer who seemed a bit more... keyed up... He explained that the manager had called him down there to clarify some things, and that he thought I was someone else, apparently there was an ex- reserve officer that was showing off, wannabe cop or some thing that OC'ed everywhere...and thought it was me, because he didn't know anyone else OC'ed, and if he knew it was 'someone else', he would've left it at 'it's completely legal' and closed the call....

Turned out he was a gun guy, appreciated my 'effort', but cautioned me that not all officers are aware of all the laws, or are as nice, and that I should be aware of my audience..... Completely casual, non-threatening...

The officer verified to the manager that everything I said was true, and said I handled everything 'perfectly', and appreciated that, while I wasn't required to conceal, he appreciated the effort I was making to not cause a scene..

There was some good natured ribbing about wheelgun vs semi, on both parties, which was laughed at (I started it).
It ended with a handshake and an apology from the officer for wasting my time....

The manager there was level headed, opinionated, firm, and WRONG, but overall professional (albeit somewhat cocky)...

There are other managers that outright YELLED at me and demanded to see 'something that says you can have that thing in MY store' (safeway). I remained calm. I made her seem like the idiot when she said 'I'm calling the cops!', to which my response was 'Ok ma'am, that's fine, but will you let me continue shopping when they say that it's perfectly legal to carry a pistol like this?'... she just sat there for a second with a dumb look on her face, not knowing what to say to that, because apparently she thought I would run away when she said she was calling the police. I called her bluff, to which her response was 'I don't care what the police say, I want you out of my store with that thing'... at which point I had no choice to leave... It WAS followed up with by Safeway corporate...and to my knowledge, she no longer is employed by safeway...

I have the full write up Here

sudden valley gunner

I OC at almost every wal-mart north of Tacoma with no issues. May be cause I look like the guy that would use it, but hey it still is what it is. Although I do not OC(Just throw the shirt over the grip) at the Marysville one because the Tulalip officers "hate whitey" and will not waste a minute to mess with you if they get the chance. I know that first hand.

I and some others have never had a problem at Tulalip Wal-mart. I think JBone or someone else in that area have already discussed OC with Tulalip Chief. I find sometimes people who claim one group hate them are under preconcieved ideas that then lead them to behave in away to reinforce their own misconceptions.

Bersa.380

If I am not mistaken the NWCDL website has letters from Walmart EXECS on Ccompany letterhead that states that
"Walmart's policy is to follow state laws" I would print out about 4 of these and turn one into the manager on duty, on to the general manager, keep one for myself to carry on me and send one to the local paper with a letter to the editor about how Walmart is driscriminating against you despite their clear cut corporate policy stating differently.

Then again that is just me...

Got a link by chance ?