• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Political Party Affiliation Poll

What political party do you affiliate with?

• Total voters

ODA 226

Oh dear god don't start. When we vote for Senators, Presidents, Etc, it's one, or the other. I'm Finishing up my last classes for my Political Science degree.... This data is actually relevant to a research paper

Edit: While the small sample gathered so far isn't enough for a conclusion, it is however reflecting initial guesses

You're asking us for assistance and you insult us with an attitude like this?

Thundar

I recognize only the American two party system. I only allowed for liberal or conservative independents to get which side they lean towards. I am not interested in random third parties for this research. Who do you align with more? who do you vote into office more? that is the question. membership in the fascist party of science, libertarian, green, etc... is irrelevant, sorry.

Though I am a member of neither the republican or the Tea Party, after November they will emergew as the two parties in many parts of the USA>

Las Vegan

I recognize only the American two party system.

How sad for you. Just look at the responses so far and you'll see how pointless your poll is with its limited selections. What is your favorite color? Keep in mind that I only recognize Teal and Fuschia as viable opinions.

Vector

At risk of feeding the trolls, I will attempt to clarify one more time. If you do not see yourself as one of the two main parties, you are independent of them. I will define independent as any non-primary holding party. now ask yourself, is my non major party more conservative, or more liberal. If you don't like my options, don't answer. This poll is not meant to give everyone the warm and fuzzes. I simply want to know who gun owners are more likely to put into major offices.

Las Vegan

now ask yourself, is my non major party more conservative, or more liberal.

My party is more liberal on some issues and more conservative on others than either of the two parties that you recognize. Your initial question is flawed and on this forum it would seem to address a minority of the members, at least as you have expressed it. If half of the people who have responded are trolls by your definition, than perhaps your definition of that word is as flawed as your original poll.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
This appears to be a push poll, pushing, justifying, the author's pre-conceived conclusions.

Well, of course it is. If he wanted to know the actual affiliations, instead of polling, he would have surveyed one question, "which established political party is closest to your ideals."

Then he would have just tabulated the results. "Hmmm. Got 16 Repulsivecans. 17 Demonrats. 12 Constitutionalists. 8 1/2 Libertarians....Hmmmm, got four 'no party' answers, I'll count those as independents. Hey! Where did these 27 Ron Paulians come from? That ain't no political party."

Vector

Here's the blunt truth

Governors, 24 Republicans, 26 Democrats

Senate, 58 Democrats, 41 Republicans, 1 Vacancy

House of Rep, 255 Democrats, 117 Republicans, 3 Vacancy

President, Always R or D,

The numbers don't lie, third parties don't get elected, thus this poll dose not include them.

KRM59

just being honest

Vector,

i will not bash your poll, and i would pick one and help your research.
but i really have no clue what party i am. I could list what i believe in
and it would be a lot like others here, and unlike others here. I take each
candidate one an individual basis and try to stay informed to there so
call stand on the issues. i know that does not help you but it is an honest answer
and if it helps great.

The_Game

Here's the blunt truth

Governors, 24 Republicans, 26 Democrats

Senate, 58 Democrats, 41 Republicans, 1 Vacancy

House of Rep, 255 Democrats, 117 Republicans, 3 Vacancy

President, Always R or D,

The numbers don't lie, third parties don't get elected, thus this poll dose not include them.

Because people like you exist.

10A

Better look at the Senate make up again, there's 2 Senators that aren't in either party. And as for the President being R or D, you need to (re)read history. George Washington didn't even belong to a party.

I wonder what your thesis statement is for this research paper?

eye95

Better look at the Senate make up again, there's 2 Senators that aren't in either party. And as for the President being R or D, you need to (re)read history. George Washington didn't even belong to a party.

Those with an (I) after their names still caucus with one of the two major parties. The (I) is a convenient tool to be used in their anomalous electoral circumstances. As far as the President being R or D, he is talking about current political realities, as evidenced by his not mentioning historical two-party system parties such as Whigs and Federalists.

Shortly after the adoption of the Constitution, the US became a two-party country and has been such since. That's the reality.

sudden valley gunner

George Washington didn't like party politics either.

This poll is ridiculous, I don't fit in any of his preconcieved this is your choice for the country frame of mind.

If it was truly for unbiased research he wouldn't fight so hard to pigeon hole us but listen to what we have to say. About his survey and adjust it accordingly.

Vector

It's actually a paper on civil rights violations, specifically 2A. The section concerning the poll is that it is largely Republicans, or close republican conservatives that are pro-gun, and pro-carry. I just decided to run a poll to determine the make up of citizens concerned with open carry rights.

Yes I am pro carry, I would open carry if it were legal in FL. I own a P99 for home that I would live to carry, as for CC, I cant speak enough volumes at how amazing the PPS is.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
Here's the blunt truth

Eventually people will learn. I vote Libertarian or independant and look at the record if available. In my district Republicans are the gun grabbers. My Republican Sheriff is anti-gun. The County Mayor and both of the commisioners in my district are Republican and anti-gun. The Chairwoman of the school board is in my district and is anti-gun I'm fairly certain she is republican. The State Senator and member of the House of Representatives in my District are Republicans and do not care about gun rights. The State Senators are Republican moderates and the member of the US House of Representatives is a Republican moderate and none care about gun issues. The Republican who will most likely be elected to be Governor this year is a wealthy business man who sends out flyers stating he is pro-gun, but he has a history of anti-gun activity. Excuse me if I don't vote for these people.

Edited to add the following:

I live in a wealthy County that generally always votes Republican. Liberals and Moderates run as Republicans in my County because they are unelectable as Democrats. Unfortunately once they are in office the Republican Party does nothing to boot them out when their true colors are known. Most people don't pay attention to what happens they just vote the party line.

Last edited:

Dreamer

It's actually a paper on civil rights violations, specifically 2A. The section concerning the poll is that it is largely Republicans, or close republican conservatives that are pro-gun, and pro-carry. I just decided to run a poll to determine the make up of citizens concerned with open carry rights.

The one factor about your poll that invalidates is is that there is a significant number of gun owners who carry (mostly with CC permits) who are dyed-in-the-wool lefties, and they DO NOT frequent boards like this, and they DO NOT admit that they own and carry guns unless they get "outed" in the media by people like me, or when they use their guns in self-defense...

Barbara Boxer. Diane Feinstein, Babs Mikulski, Mayor Daley, many of the Chicago Aldermen, Mayor Bloomberg, Sean Penn, Carl Rowan, Sylvester Stallone, Bernie Mac, two radical leftie Dem. members of the MD General Assembly House Judiciary Committee are just a FEW of the more well-known...

So see, the fundamental premise of your theory is flawed.

What you SHOULD state is that Republicans, Libertarians, and Conservative Independents are more PUBLICLY supportive of carry, and are more likely to vote the same way they act.

Because, believe me, there are a LOT of lefties who own and carry firearms, but they lie about it on polls and surveys, and they vote to keep "the wrong kinds of people" from exercising that same right, because they hinestly believe in their heart of hearts that the laws of the "masses" don't really aplly for them, and their other ivory-tower annointed brethren...

Last edited:

KBCraig

Vector, here's where your poll fails for me: If you had listed "Republican", "Democrat", and "Independent or other party", I could have chosen a legitimate option. But, you didn't; your other options were "Conservative independent" and "Liberal independent".

That leaves lots of folks, me included, hanging in the wind, and here's why: the conservative/liberal, right/left single-axis paradigm is a false dichotomy. It is perpetuated by major media and pundits who thrive on pigeon-holing and stereotyping and vilifying the "opposition". "Liberal" and "conservative", for those who define themselves as the opposite, are invective labels that declare someone who disagrees with your sacred ox, is purely evil on every matter.

The reality is that the vast majority reject political "science" as it's practiced, and they hate being shoved into square or round holes when they're octagonal or pentagonal or "other".

The 2-axis World's Smallest Political Quiz is a better way of gauging someone's political views, as are its ancestors, like the Nolan Chart and Pournelle Chart.

Here, I'll give you a first-person example, and let you tell me how I should have voted on your poll:
- I vote in the GOP primary, but am not a member of that party
- In the general election I almost always vote for the Libertarian candidate where there is one; where there is not, I often vote GOP, but not always.
- In races where there is only an unopposed candidate, I do not cast a vote. This is my way of protesting single-party dominance in local and county politics, regardless of party.
- In 2008, I ignored the official LP presidential ticket, and wrote in Ron Paul.
- I believe anyone walking free on the streets should be free to carry whatever personal protection they choose.
- I believe anyone should be free to use, possess, grow, manufacture, buy, or sell the recreational substance(s) of their choosing.
- I believe you own your own body and should be free to do with it what you will, including sell yourself for sex, so long as you don't initiate force against anyone else.
- At the same time, I believe that pregnancy involves a third party who also has rights, and that party shouldn't be terminated except in defense of the mother's life.
- I believe in the freedom to travel, even without government permission, without government papers, and across imaginary lines on the ground. Driving from Tijuana to San Diego should be no more complicated than driving from Oakland to Alameda.
- I don't support "gay marriage", because I don't believe the government should have any say about who or who isn't married. Gay, straight, poly... I don't care, and neither should the government try to care on my behalf. Marriage is a religious issue, and I don't recall getting a baptism license, nor getting a certificate of salvation down at the courthouse.
- Most of all, I don't believe that government is necessary. Inevitable, perhaps, but the harm done by government is vastly worse than the harm done by its absence.
- Finally, I'm a happily married heterosexual Christian who lives a lifestyle that most people would consider extremely socially conservative.

So, go ahead: plug me into your poll results wherever you think I fit.

simmonsjoe

Vector = poopy-head.

Your logic fail is that people only vote for persons in their 'party.' Most people that are libertarians or constitutionalists don't even belong to 'parties.' they just are who they are.

that is one of the reasons the independent vote(independent is anyone not rep/dem) is becoming so important. A larger and larger percentage of Americans DON'T vote on republican/democrat lines.

Dreamer

That leaves lots of folks, me included, hanging in the wind, and here's why: the conservative/liberal, right/left single-axis paradigm is a false dichotomy. It is perpetuated by major media and pundits who thrive on pigeon-holing and stereotyping and vilifying the "opposition". "Liberal" and "conservative", for those who define themselves as the opposite, are invective labels that declare someone who disagrees with your sacred ox, is purely evil on every matter.

+ 1,000,000