• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 shot to death at Lake Sammamish State Park

knight_308

Which part? You listed a few things. If you're talking about the CPL comment then, No it's not true.

All indications are asian gangs. It sucks we can't just make an arena for these asshats to kill themselves in so they don't have to put other people in danger.

Hang on, it's not true? So you can't carry in a state park, or am I misreading you?

knight_308

The part that is not true is that a person must have a CPL in order to carry in a state park. A person can lawfully carry a firearm in a state park with no CPL required - they just cannot conceal that firearm on their person, or keep it loaded while in a vehicle.

Phew, OK, that's what I thought. Just the way it was phrased made me do a double take :). Thanks.

devildoc5

I guess the important question would be: Was he one of the hoodlums that were firing on each other? Or was he some CPL carrier who happened to be around and TRIED to stop the shooting or inflict some damage or whatever you wanna call it?

I personally would not agree with being a single armed (as in one person with a weapon not only having one arm) and trying to bring a stop to a gang war/turf battle or anything like that. However was that his intentions? Or was he just a hoodlum who wanted a CPL?

iampam

Sorry, yes the CPL part. When I made the post I was looking for the quote button on my own post. Surprised that there is still much misinformation out there, especially with someone that should know what they are talking about.

That's not the person I usually see making statements to the press for State Parks. Maybe she thought she knew what the rules are, maybe the press only used part of her quote, maybe she misunderstood their questions, maybe she asked someone and they gave her bad info (or she misunderstood), or maybe she couldn't get ahold of anyone because it was the weekend.

Mistakes happen!

nofoa

I managed to catch a few minutes of new last night and kiro tv was positively champing at the bit. In their usual something has to be done. (insert guns need to be banned silence)

What i was most surprised was how the news would run with the story without much information at all.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP What i was most surprised was how the news would run with the story without much information at all.

Welcome to the media. The last thing they are interested in is you having enough information to come to a fully informed, correct conclusion. They are interested in their own agenda, ratings, and advertising revenue. They want to make the world seem as shocking and unsettled as possible to suck you into breathlessly watching or reading.

There is a video on youtube recently where some news station tested sea water from several locations on the gulf coast for oil. They reported the results for each location in ascending order of contamination. Five parts per million at the first place. Fifteen parts per million at the next--three times as much!! The narrator carefully built the "shock". At a few places, kids were playing on the beach: 150 or 200 parts per million. (sarcasm: Oh! My! Effing! God! That is horrible!) You would almost think they were reporting on Love Canal all over again. Except, they never said what a toxic level is. They never showed the kids drinking the damn sea water that was so many shocking parts per million that they did not bother to say was or was not dangerously toxic. Look for the video about the water sample that exploded.

So much for the media. I wouldn't care about the biased reporting if they gave all the effing facts needed for a correct determination.

Last edited:

CheerfulHoplite

So, let's say you're there, and the shooting breaks out. Do you get into the middle of it?

And what happens when the nearby cops show up and you're one of the "gunmen?"

Personally, I'd duck and cover and only draw my weapon when I felt personally threatened. Which might get me killed. Of course, drawing and staying behind cover might get me killed, too.

That's one sticky situation, right there.

That's more-or-less what I said when asked that while talking to John & Mike (Subbing for Dave Ross) on 97.3 FM Monday morning -

They laid it out (as best I can from memory) as "So you're there, you've got your gun, the SHTF, what do you do?"

My response boiled down to "I hit the dirt, find a tree, or otherwise find cover if I can, and I watch to see what goes down. If it starts coming my way, I might draw and return fire, depending on exactly what's happening."

What I SHOULD have said, though I didn't think of it clearly enough to actually *SAY* it while on-air with them was "I ain't fool enough to go charging into an in-progress gunfight between unkown (both number and armaments) participants without a damn good reason!"

sudden valley gunner

So is it two gangbangers that got shot and killed? Was it other gangbangers that killed them? If so this is why I am very anti almost all gun laws. One statistic I read on guncite and DOJ (department of justice) was that 95% of all homicides are committed upon those who are committing or have committed crimes.

A statistic I would love to find again, it is the one missing cite for my essay I wrote. If someone's google fu is better than mine can you help me out?

iampam

One of the "dead" shooters?

Yes, but I think the CPL comment just came from a family member, not LE, so who knows if it's valid.

The families of both victims swear they didn't have gang affiliations. Clearly a lie for the Asian guy that died, he was convicted of several gang-related shooting crimes as a teenager, and was _supposed_ to be deported after his jail sentence ended ~10 years ago.

As far as the white guy that died, it's a little less clear. It looks like he was _with_ one of the groups at the park, but he may not have actually been a gang member (do Asian gangs let in white guys?). He is the one that is claimed to have the CPL, and I haven't seen any reports that he had any prior convictions.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
The way I see it...

I have read and followed the story.

What we know is that we have one dead gangbanger with previous felony and weapons charges.

The other dead gun owner had a CPL and for all practical known circumstances he was carrying concealed. He had no record.

From what I have read and pieced together it is the CPL holder that responded in some nature to another weapon being pulled and/or discharged. He probably thought he would stop any threat that took place. HOWEVER, he did not realize that the other party involved was with a heavily armed gang.

What my take-away from this is do not involve yourself in any situation that is not relavant to your own personal safety. You should leave, avoid, walk away from any circumstance in which it is physically possible to avoid.

This circumstance demonstrates that self defense is a last resort.

sudden valley gunner

What my take-away from this is do not involve yourself in any situation that is not relavant to your own personal safety. You should leave, avoid, walk away from any circumstance in which it is physically possible to avoid.

I would disagree, I love people and humanity. He should have been observant to know this was a gang fight, and let them kill each other.

Otherwise apathy and not getting involved unless it is your own personal safety is part of many growing problems in our society. (for example letting kids get kicked in the head while knocked out) And not part of my personality. Thats just my opinion.

iampam

I wonder if anyone ever reported the taunting to the Park Rangers? I know once the fistfight broke out, that it went downhill very quickly, but it sounds like the taunting went on over the course of the day and was witnessed by a lot of uninvolved people.

If other park visitors reported to the Rangers that these suspicious groups of people were taunting each other, the Rangers potentially could have evicted a few individuals and prevented the whole thing.

amlevin

this was a gang fight, and let them kill each other.

Now that's an interesting idea. Why not carry it to the next level. Let's pick a remote area and designate it as a colleseum. We can then schedule regular gang fights. Bring in the various gangs, make sure each is adequately armed and at the sound of the horn, turn them loose. The audience will view the event from a secure bunker by way of big screen tv's. Use a format similar to that of Major League Sports to determine the champs. Then all we would have to do is decide what to do with the "winner".

Wonder how that might work out.

Leatherneck

The winner would advance to the next level and take on the next challenger. Just like World Cup soccer, or football standings.

Let's approach the news with this idea! They'll LOVE the idea of having exclusive rights!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
A visit to Lake Sammamish!

Deros and I took a trip to Lake Sammamish this morning after our coffee meet up and trip to Champion Arms. Not a single word was said to us at the park. When we entered the park an armed park ranger was handing out the park rules and guidelines (no word of firearms was mentioned!). I will post the rules and some video as well.

CIMG0021.jpg

CIMG0022.jpg

sudden valley gunner

Deros and I took a trip to Lake Sammamish this morning after our coffee meet up and trip to Champion Arms. Not a single word was said to us at the park. When we entered the park an armed park ranger was handing out the park rules and guidelines (no word of firearms was mentioned!). I will post the rules and some video as well.

Great job!! And good follow up.