Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ruger LCR

The Ruger LCR

So in a couple or three weeks I may be pulling the trigger on an LCR in .38 special +P. I'm not a big fan of the plastic fantastic guns, I prefer my Commander. However, I recently aquired an LCP and a Kel Tec Sub 2000. Both have proven to be pretty darn good. The subby is just plain fun. I know that plastic can have its place at times. I just prefer steel and wood. However, being in Texas, that might be a bit uncomfortable and impractical 100% of the time. Which brings me to my point.

I was thinking I could use a wheel gun in my collection for times when I need to grab something quick to serve as a pocket gun, BUG, or primary carry. I know the LCP is tiny, however, it's not very accurate for me past several feet. I was a little unsure about the LCR but after reading up on it it looks like it might fit the bill nicely as a compromise of size, weight, accuracy and firepower. I figured this forum would offer the best unbiased opinions so I wanted to get some opinions about it. Anyone have any personal experience with them? Thanks in advance.

-Gruu

I shot a friends LCR yesterday. I was impressed with the gun. I would warn you that it is probably not the best choice for someone who has not done much pistol shooting. I have large hands but was still able to shoot it effectively. The double action trigger pull on the one I shot was less than what I would have expected and was controllable.

Per my experience yesterday, I would buy one.

I've shot a few. I haven't shot a lot of DAO revolvers before, but I hear the trigger is quite noce on the LCR. That's cool that it shoots good. I know a lightweight snubnose isn't going to be a joy to shoot, but I had a Taurus Ultralight that wasn't very fun after about 20 rounds or so of +P. Thanks your your opinion. It is appreciated.

-Gruu

.357 Magnum

The LCR now comes in 357mag!

Quote Originally Posted by professor gun View Post
    I would warn you that it is probably not the best choice for someone who has not done much pistol shooting.
    My wife is an exception to this rule, she loves her LCR, and has only shot about 500 rounds downrange in her life, most of it FMJ with the LCR. However, the +P self defense rounds were something she does not want to shoot too much, due to discomfort as noted by others.

I thought the LCR was too light when I shot it, bringing in more recoil than I would like. My personal preference for a sub-compact revolver would be to go with the Taurus 85 instead. For sure though, see if you can rent what you wish to purchase first to see how they shoot and to see how comfortable they are for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    What did you want us to see on that forum? I think a Ruger LCR would be a very good Primary or BUG, especially if it was in .357 mag. Practice with .38 WC all day long, load .357 "man-stoppers" when you are carrying. .357 has better ballistics than .45ACP, 9mm and everything else in the neighborhood
    (except anti-aircraft calibers of .44 and .50).
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

What?

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    What did you want us to see on that forum? I think a Ruger LCR would be a very good Primary or BUG, especially if it was in .357 mag. Practice with .38 WC all day long, load .357 "man-stoppers" when you are carrying. .357 has better ballistics than .45ACP, 9mm and everything else in the neighborhood
    (except anti-aircraft calibers of .44 and .50).
    357magnum does not have better ballistics than 45ACP. Not even close
    Its staple as a man-stopper is compared to the .38 specials that were standard when it was released.
    Add to that the inherent inefficiency of the snubby revolver and I'd wonder if you'll see 9mm velocities.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 08-10-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

I have the LCR

I have the original model in .38sp +P.

It is currently loaded with 129gr +P hydrashoks, sitting in the safe while I have my 1911 strapped to my hip. It is a competent BUG, but I don't use it as a primary often. With some practice, one can be accurate enough within 15-20 ft, but it is no tack-driver. My dad has a LCP, and to compare the two, I find that the LCR is more accurate & easier to control. I think this is mainly due to the grip size on each of the guns.

Typical usage for me is to drop it in the pocket of my PJ's while taking the dog for a quick walk outside late at night, or to keep a piece on my person while lounging around the house (if I'm not wearing a belt).

It is a good gun for what it is, but I'm not a big fan of pocket pistols. If you don't have a pocket pistol & need one, this is a good choice, but otherwise stick to something a bit bigger.

Another really good choice for a pocket pistol is the Sig P238. It is a 6+1 .380 derivative of the old Colt Mustang. My dad has a P238 as well, and I can tell you that IF i were going to buy another pocket pistol, other than the LCR, THIS is the ONLY one I would consider. I am truly amazed at the lack of felt recoil when shooting the P238. It is uncanny that Sig was able to design/engineer a .380 that is so small & has so little felt recoil.

bullsh!t

Quote Originally Posted by VFORVENDETTA View Post
    357 mag =1700 fps 700+lb-ft
    45 acp= 850 fps 450 + lb-ft
    45acp is bigger but 357 mag will penetrate deeper and do more damage.
    you might get 1700fps with a hotrodded round and a 6-8" barrel.

45acp has greater permanent wound cavity (read damage), regardless of the muzzle energy or penetration.

357magnum can overpenetrate. It is also known to expand rather late.

BTW - If you shot a 357magnum that was that hot from a LCR, not only would it by lucky to make 1,300fps, the rest of your rounds would likely jump crimp from the recoil. That is very dangerous and unacceptable for self defense.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 08-10-2010 at 04:07 PM.
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson

V:

That sounds like what I've heard for many years. I can understand that .357 shot from a very short barrel like the LCR will lose some speed, but the same goes for the .45 ACP being shot from my Kimber Ultra Carry II...
    3" barrel vs. 1.88" barrel in the LCR.

I'm no math wizard or great researcher. Can you come up with more realistic numbers to go with those sized pistols? I have 230 gr ball and 165 gr Federal Hydra-Shok JHP's. I also have some older Remington 185 gr. JHP +P Golden Sabers.

Does anyone know what the optimum self-defense rounds would be for a Kimber with 3" barrel and the Ruger LCR-357? I really am interested in getting an LCR. I've heard that .38 +P self-defense rounds would also work well in it.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post

45acp has greater permanent wound cavity (read damage), regardless of the muzzle energy or penetration.

BTW - If you shot a 357magnum that was that hot from a LCR, not only would it by lucky to make 1,300fps, the rest of your rounds would likely jump crimp from the recoil. That is very dangerous and unacceptable for self defense.
    My Ruger Blackhawk (original 3 screw) with the 4 5/8" barrel gets an average 1269fps with factory winchester 145gr silvertip ammo. With handloaded 158 gr bullets I am getting an average of 1228fps and showing flattened primers so I got to agree with Joe, you are not getting 1700fps out of a 357 snubbie.

As far as the 45 goes I do get 880fps out of my glock 36 using 185gr handloads.

Bottom line is I don't want to get hit with either.

I think that Ruger makes great guns, I would probably buy an LCR if I found a good price on one and I didn't already have a taurus 85 ultralight.

Autos have shorter barrels,

I didn't realize we were talking about short barreled guns. Revolvers never include the cylinder. Autos measure the whole barrel.
    I was also talking about 125grain 357.
    But are more efficient due to the lack of cylinder gap, dead space in the Throat, etc. in short firearms.
    You are correct that a 357mag from a long barreled revolved is absolutely devastating. typically a 45acp will not see as much of a gain from an extended barrel.

The Ruger LCR with 38spl +p's would be a good choice.

As for 45ACPs, TCMECH, look at buffalo bore. He gets 200grain JHP running 1075fps from 5". (185gr @ 1180fps, I bet it is still running 1000 out of your 36)
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 08-10-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Thumbs up Good point!

I didn't realize we were talking about short barreled guns. Revolvers never include the cylinder. Autos measure the whole barrel.
    I was also talking about 125grain 357.
    Man, that is a really good point that I've never even thought about. A .357 is a inch and a half long and when you add that to a LCR's 1.88" barrel that's about the same as a 3.75" barrel in a semi-auto. Thanks for the schoolin'.

I bet even some .38 WC would be pretty devestating at short range (the intended use for the LCR). I figure the LCR-357 will be a better choice and last longer if you use .38 rounds in it. I gave my dad a S&W Mod 19 back in the 80's and he only shoots 38's in it. It is still in "like-new" condition.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

ballisticsbytheinch.com

A family member has an LCR and likes it, it's accurate, reliable and easy to carry.
    Last edited by Marco; 08-11-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: addition

357magnum does not have better ballistics than 45ACP. Not even close.

http://www.handloads.org/misc/stoppi....asp?Caliber=0

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=443

Never experienced the OP problem, never had one exit a coyote.

I've fired the above load from a S&W 340PD and haven't experienced that problem, pure spectulation on your part or do you have evidence to support.

Not my rant:

But it fits.

5.7×28mm: Ingenious way to make a centerfire .22 Magnum and then charge quadruple price for the same ballistics. Awesome chambering for a police weapon…if you’re the park ranger in charge of the chipmunk exhibit at the zoo, and you want to make sure you can take one down if it turns rabid on you.

.25ACP: Direct violation of the maxim “Never do an enemy a minor injury”. Designed by folks who wanted to retain the bullet diameter of the .22 rimfire round, but take a bit of the excessive lethality out of it. Favored by people who don’t feel comfortable carrying anything more dangerous than the neighbor kid’s rusty Red Ryder pellet gun.

.32ACP: Inadequate for anything more thick-skinned than Northeastern squirrels or inbred Austrian archdukes. Semi-rimmed cartridge that is rimlock-happy in modern lightweight autoloaders. Doesn’t go fast enough to expand a hollowpoint bullet, and it wouldn’t matter even if it did, because the bullet would only expand from tiny to small-ish.

.380ACP/9mm Kurz: Designed by people who thought the 9mm Luger was a bit too brisk and snappy, which is pretty much all that needs to be said here. Great round if you expect to only ever be attacked by people less than seven inches thick from front to back.

.38 Special: Legacy design with a case length that’s 75% longer than necessary for the mediocre ballistics of the round due to its blackpowder heritage. On the plus side, the case length makes it easy to handle when reloading the gun. This is a good thing because anyone using their .38 in self-defense against a 250-pound attacker hopped up on crack will need to empty the gun multiple times.

9mm Luger: European popgun round that’s only popular because the ammo is cheap for a centerfire cartridge. Cheap ammo is a good thing for 9mm aficionados, because anything bigger and more dangerous than a cranky raccoon will likely require multiple well-placed hits. Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.

.45ACP: Chunky low-pressure cartridge that hogs magazine space and requires a low-capacity design (if the gun needs to fit human hands) or a grip with the circumference of a two-liter soda bottle (if the gun needs to hold more than seven rounds). Disturbingly prone to bullet setback, expensive to reload, fits only into big and clunky guns, and a recoil that has an inversely proportionate relationship with muzzle energy.

.40S&W: Neutered compromise version of a compromise cartridge. Even more setback-happy than the .45ACP, and setbacks are much more dangerous because of higher pressure and smaller case volume. Manages to sacrifice both the capacity of the 9mm and the bullet diameter of the .45. Twice the recoil of the 9mm for 10% more muzzle energy.

.357SIG: Highly overpriced boutique round that does the .40S&W one worse: it manages to share the capacity penalty of the .40 while retaining the small bullet diameter of the 9mm. Noisy, sharp recoil, and 100% cost penalty for ballistics that can be matched by a good 9mm +P+ load. Penetrates like the dickens, which means that the Air Marshals just had to adopt it…only to load their guns with frangible bullets to make sure they don’t penetrate like the dickens.

.357 Magnum: Lots of recoil, muzzle blast, and noise to drive a 9mm bullet to reckless speeds in an attempt to make up for its low mass and diameter. Explosive fragmentation and insufficient penetration with light bullets; excessive penetration and insufficient expansion with heavy ones. Still makes only 9mm holes in the target.

.44 Magnum: Overpowered round that generates manageable recoil and muzzle blast…if you’re a 300-pound linebacker with wrists like steel girders. Often loaded to “Lite” levels that turn it into a noisy .44 Special while retaining the ego-preserving Magnum headstamp. Considered the “most powerful handgun cartridge in the world” by people whose gun knowledge is either stuck in 1960, or who get their expertise in ballistics from Dirty Harry movies.

.50 Desert Eagle - The Magnum of the new century. Realizing Hollywood couldn't escape their Magnum fetishes, they had a handgun that fits the same stopping power quota of .44 Magnum and all of its filthy drawbacks. Popular amongst steroid filled movie actors who needs big guns to compensate for the steroid struck testicles. Comes in a baby variant for junior.

10mm Auto: Super-high pressure cartridge that beats up gun and shooter alike. Very brisk recoil in anything other than all-steel S&W boat anchors, with a shot recovery that’s measured in geological epochs for most handgun platforms. Often underloaded to wimpy levels (see “.40 S&W”), which then gives it 9mm ballistics while requiring .45ACP magazine real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=443

Never experienced the OP problem, never had one exit a coyote.

I've fired the above load from a S&W 340PD and haven't experienced that problem, pure spectulation on your part or do you have evidence to support.
    Not pure speculation.
    Google double tap chronographed and you'll find nobody can duplicate their stated velocities.

Buffalo Bore's reputation, however, it that their velocities are real world. He specifically recommends not to use his ammo in super light revolvers.

I also highly doubt you've fired more than 10-20 of those rounds out of that Airweight. Be honest. Nobody wants to get beat up shooting an airweight 357 more than they have to. Most people can't afford to run that stuff for plinking anyways.

Moreover, Coyotes are pretty damn small (avg. 15-46lbs, largest recorded 74lbs) and I would expect a 357 to go through one, even a JHP. Did you shoot him with your airweight? You may have had a low velocity round due to crimp jump yourself. lol.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 08-11-2010 at 03:18 PM.

That is funny.

Not my rant:

But it fits.

5.7×28mm: Ingenious way to make a centerfire .22 Magnum and then charge quadruple price for the same ballistics. Awesome chambering for a police weapon…if you’re the park ranger in charge of the chipmunk exhibit at the zoo, and you want to make sure you can take one down if it turns rabid on you.

.25ACP: Direct violation of the maxim “Never do an enemy a minor injury”. Designed by folks who wanted to retain the bullet diameter of the .22 rimfire round, but take a bit of the excessive lethality out of it. Favored by people who don’t feel comfortable carrying anything more dangerous than the neighbor kid’s rusty Red Ryder pellet gun.

.32ACP: Inadequate for anything more thick-skinned than Northeastern squirrels or inbred Austrian archdukes. Semi-rimmed cartridge that is rimlock-happy in modern lightweight autoloaders. Doesn’t go fast enough to expand a hollowpoint bullet, and it wouldn’t matter even if it did, because the bullet would only expand from tiny to small-ish.

.380ACP/9mm Kurz: Designed by people who thought the 9mm Luger was a bit too brisk and snappy, which is pretty much all that needs to be said here. Great round if you expect to only ever be attacked by people less than seven inches thick from front to back.

.38 Special: Legacy design with a case length that’s 75% longer than necessary for the mediocre ballistics of the round due to its blackpowder heritage. On the plus side, the case length makes it easy to handle when reloading the gun. This is a good thing because anyone using their .38 in self-defense against a 250-pound attacker hopped up on crack will need to empty the gun multiple times.

9mm Luger: European popgun round that’s only popular because the ammo is cheap for a centerfire cartridge. Cheap ammo is a good thing for 9mm aficionados, because anything bigger and more dangerous than a cranky raccoon will likely require multiple well-placed hits. Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.

.45ACP: Chunky low-pressure cartridge that hogs magazine space and requires a low-capacity design (if the gun needs to fit human hands) or a grip with the circumference of a two-liter soda bottle (if the gun needs to hold more than seven rounds). Disturbingly prone to bullet setback, expensive to reload, fits only into big and clunky guns, and a recoil that has an inversely proportionate relationship with muzzle energy.

.40S&W: Neutered compromise version of a compromise cartridge. Even more setback-happy than the .45ACP, and setbacks are much more dangerous because of higher pressure and smaller case volume. Manages to sacrifice both the capacity of the 9mm and the bullet diameter of the .45. Twice the recoil of the 9mm for 10% more muzzle energy.

.357SIG: Highly overpriced boutique round that does the .40S&W one worse: it manages to share the capacity penalty of the .40 while retaining the small bullet diameter of the 9mm. Noisy, sharp recoil, and 100% cost penalty for ballistics that can be matched by a good 9mm +P+ load. Penetrates like the dickens, which means that the Air Marshals just had to adopt it…only to load their guns with frangible bullets to make sure they don’t penetrate like the dickens.

.357 Magnum: Lots of recoil, muzzle blast, and noise to drive a 9mm bullet to reckless speeds in an attempt to make up for its low mass and diameter. Explosive fragmentation and insufficient penetration with light bullets; excessive penetration and insufficient expansion with heavy ones. Still makes only 9mm holes in the target.

.44 Magnum: Overpowered round that generates manageable recoil and muzzle blast…if you’re a 300-pound linebacker with wrists like steel girders. Often loaded to “Lite” levels that turn it into a noisy .44 Special while retaining the ego-preserving Magnum headstamp. Considered the “most powerful handgun cartridge in the world” by people whose gun knowledge is either stuck in 1960, or who get their expertise in ballistics from Dirty Harry movies.

.50 Desert Eagle - The Magnum of the new century. Realizing Hollywood couldn't escape their Magnum fetishes, they had a handgun that fits the same stopping power quota of .44 Magnum and all of its filthy drawbacks. Popular amongst steroid filled movie actors who needs big guns to compensate for the steroid struck testicles. Comes in a baby variant for junior.

10mm Auto: Super-high pressure cartridge that beats up gun and shooter alike. Very brisk recoil in anything other than all-steel S&W boat anchors, with a shot recovery that’s measured in geological epochs for most handgun platforms. Often underloaded to wimpy levels (see “.40 S&W”), which then gives it 9mm ballistics while requiring .45ACP magazine real estate.
    there are several errors but hey, that is the point. Very funny.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 08-11-2010 at 03:18 PM.

I also highly doubt you've fired more than 10-20 of those rounds out of that Airweight. Be honest.

Did you shoot him with your airweight? You may have had a low velocity round due to crimp jump yourself. lol.

You'd be incorrect.
    Not all of us are afraid of recoil.
    I fire at least 100rds of any load before I trust my life to it.

NO, 4" 686+

I haven't unpacked my reloading supplies since moving to VA but when I do we can go chrono some loads.

BOT:

The LCR is as a good SD choice.

glad you can blow $100 on testing ammo.

You'd be incorrect.
    Not all of us are afraid of recoil.
    I fire at least 100rds of any load before I trust my life to it.

NO, 4" 686+

I haven't unpacked my reloading supplies since moving to VA but when I do we can go chrono some loads.

BOT:

The LCR is as a good SD choice.
    I sure as hell can't afford to.

Shooting 100rds of 357 from an airweight will make anyone sore. Trying to make it a manly thing is just silly, espicially when you have a 686 available. If I'm going to get beat up on the range it's gonna be worth it. Something in 44mag or better. Getting beat up on when you don't have to is silly, not manly.

I do like the LCR.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 08-12-2010 at 01:14 AM.

I sure as hell can't afford to.

Shooting 100rds of 357 from an airweight will make anyone sore. Trying to make it a manly thing is just silly, espicially when you have a 686 available. If I'm going to get beat up on the range it's gonna be worth it. Something in 44mag or better. Getting beat up on when you don't have to is silly, not manly.

I do like the LCR.
    WTF?
    What value to do place on your and your families lives?
    Rhetorical

Also, not insuring that your carry gun and ammo work perfectly together is foolish.

Never said I was trying to be manly, or that I did all the test firing in one session.
    I've found that doing part of the breakin during a match helps me to forget about any discoomfort.

The fact that a load works perfectly in one gun doesn't mean it will work perfectly in another.

As for your internet research (you don't have any personal experience) regarding DT, I haven't had any issues with their ammo, been using it for a # of yrs now.
    I haven't chrono'd a load in a few yrs but it works reliably in my guns and shots to point of aim, Buffalo Bore does have a few loads that I do perfer to use in one or two calibers, .38spl+p being one of them.

Example:
    Recently bought a New Taurus 651 (.357 mag) after firing 50rds of ball I switched to a .38spl +p load that was the intended carry load. The gun broke before I had fired 100rds, it is now with Taurus for repair or replacement.

If someone locally wants to try the .38spl+p LCR I have one available
    Last edited by Marco; 08-12-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: forgot something

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast