• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Ruger LCR

TehGruu

So in a couple or three weeks I may be pulling the trigger on an LCR in .38 special +P. I'm not a big fan of the plastic fantastic guns, I prefer my Commander. However, I recently aquired an LCP and a Kel Tec Sub 2000. Both have proven to be pretty darn good. The subby is just plain fun. I know that plastic can have its place at times. I just prefer steel and wood. However, being in Texas, that might be a bit uncomfortable and impractical 100% of the time. Which brings me to my point.

I was thinking I could use a wheel gun in my collection for times when I need to grab something quick to serve as a pocket gun, BUG, or primary carry. I know the LCP is tiny, however, it's not very accurate for me past several feet. I was a little unsure about the LCR but after reading up on it it looks like it might fit the bill nicely as a compromise of size, weight, accuracy and firepower. I figured this forum would offer the best unbiased opinions so I wanted to get some opinions about it. Anyone have any personal experience with them? Thanks in advance.

-Gruu

professor gun

I shot a friends LCR yesterday. I was impressed with the gun. I would warn you that it is probably not the best choice for someone who has not done much pistol shooting. I have large hands but was still able to shoot it effectively. The double action trigger pull on the one I shot was less than what I would have expected and was controllable.

Per my experience yesterday, I would buy one.

TehGruu

I've shot a few. :) I haven't shot a lot of DAO revolvers before, but I hear the trigger is quite noce on the LCR. That's cool that it shoots good. I know a lightweight snubnose isn't going to be a joy to shoot, but I had a Taurus Ultralight that wasn't very fun after about 20 rounds or so of +P. Thanks your your opinion. It is appreciated.

-Gruu

KCinBAMA

I would warn you that it is probably not the best choice for someone who has not done much pistol shooting.

My wife is an exception to this rule, she loves her LCR, and has only shot about 500 rounds downrange in her life, most of it FMJ with the LCR. However, the +P self defense rounds were something she does not want to shoot too much, due to discomfort as noted by others.

onlurker

I thought the LCR was too light when I shot it, bringing in more recoil than I would like. My personal preference for a sub-compact revolver would be to go with the Taurus 85 instead. For sure though, see if you can rent what you wish to purchase first to see how they shoot and to see how comfortable they are for you.

MSC 45ACP

What did you want us to see on that forum? I think a Ruger LCR would be a very good Primary or BUG, especially if it was in .357 mag. Practice with .38 WC all day long, load .357 "man-stoppers" when you are carrying. .357 has better ballistics than .45ACP, 9mm and everything else in the neighborhood
(except anti-aircraft calibers of .44 and .50).

simmonsjoe

What?

What did you want us to see on that forum? I think a Ruger LCR would be a very good Primary or BUG, especially if it was in .357 mag. Practice with .38 WC all day long, load .357 "man-stoppers" when you are carrying. .357 has better ballistics than .45ACP, 9mm and everything else in the neighborhood
(except anti-aircraft calibers of .44 and .50).
357magnum does not have better ballistics than 45ACP. Not even close
Its staple as a man-stopper is compared to the .38 specials that were standard when it was released.
Add to that the inherent inefficiency of the snubby revolver and I'd wonder if you'll see 9mm velocities.

Last edited:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I have the LCR

I have the original model in .38sp +P.

It is currently loaded with 129gr +P hydrashoks, sitting in the safe while I have my 1911 strapped to my hip. It is a competent BUG, but I don't use it as a primary often. With some practice, one can be accurate enough within 15-20 ft, but it is no tack-driver. My dad has a LCP, and to compare the two, I find that the LCR is more accurate & easier to control. I think this is mainly due to the grip size on each of the guns.

Typical usage for me is to drop it in the pocket of my PJ's while taking the dog for a quick walk outside late at night, or to keep a piece on my person while lounging around the house (if I'm not wearing a belt).

It is a good gun for what it is, but I'm not a big fan of pocket pistols. If you don't have a pocket pistol & need one, this is a good choice, but otherwise stick to something a bit bigger.

Another really good choice for a pocket pistol is the Sig P238. It is a 6+1 .380 derivative of the old Colt Mustang. My dad has a P238 as well, and I can tell you that IF i were going to buy another pocket pistol, other than the LCR, THIS is the ONLY one I would consider. I am truly amazed at the lack of felt recoil when shooting the P238. It is uncanny that Sig was able to design/engineer a .380 that is so small & has so little felt recoil.

VFORVENDETTA

357magnum does not have better ballistics than 45ACP. Not even close
Its staple as a man-stopper is compared to the .38 specials that were standard when it was released.
Add to that the inherent inefficiency of the snubby revolver and I'd wonder if you'll see 9mm velocities.

357 mag =1700 fps 700+lb-ft
45 acp= 850 fps 450 + lb-ft
45acp is bigger but 357 mag will penetrate deeper and do more damage.

simmonsjoe

bullsh!t

357 mag =1700 fps 700+lb-ft
45 acp= 850 fps 450 + lb-ft
45acp is bigger but 357 mag will penetrate deeper and do more damage.
you might get 1700fps with a hotrodded round and a 6-8" barrel.

45acp has greater permanent wound cavity (read damage), regardless of the muzzle energy or penetration.

357magnum can overpenetrate. It is also known to expand rather late.

BTW - If you shot a 357magnum that was that hot from a LCR, not only would it by lucky to make 1,300fps, the rest of your rounds would likely jump crimp from the recoil. That is very dangerous and unacceptable for self defense.

Last edited:

VFORVENDETTA

45acp has greater permanent wound cavity (read damage), regardless of the muzzle energy or penetration.

BTW - If you shot a 357magnum that was that hot from a LCR, not only would it by lucky to make 1,300fps, the rest of your rounds would likely jump crimp from the recoil. That is very dangerous and unacceptable for self defense.
45 acp=

The Marshall and Sanow "one-shot stop" rating varies from 65% for the non-expanding FMJ which produces a ballistic pressure wave of 252 psi to over 90% for the some JHPs. The average incapacitation times (estimated for a 170 lb male shot in the center of the chest) vary from 7.2 to 13.8 seconds.
I'll agree 45 acp is a good round, but 357mag is "mo betta".

357 magnum=
The Marshall and Sanow "one-shot stop" rating varies from 68% for the non-expanding semiwadcutter which produces a ballistic pressure wave of 372 psi to nearly 96% for the well-known Federal 125 grain JHP which produces a ballistic pressure wave of 1487 psi. The average incapacitation times (for a 170 lb male shot in the center of the chest) vary from 5.7 to 11.4 seconds.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

V:

That sounds like what I've heard for many years. I can understand that .357 shot from a very short barrel like the LCR will lose some speed, but the same goes for the .45 ACP being shot from my Kimber Ultra Carry II...
3" barrel vs. 1.88" barrel in the LCR.

I'm no math wizard or great researcher. Can you come up with more realistic numbers to go with those sized pistols? I have 230 gr ball and 165 gr Federal Hydra-Shok JHP's. I also have some older Remington 185 gr. JHP +P Golden Sabers.

Does anyone know what the optimum self-defense rounds would be for a Kimber with 3" barrel and the Ruger LCR-357? I really am interested in getting an LCR. I've heard that .38 +P self-defense rounds would also work well in it.

tcmech

My Ruger Blackhawk (original 3 screw) with the 4 5/8" barrel gets an average 1269fps with factory winchester 145gr silvertip ammo. With handloaded 158 gr bullets I am getting an average of 1228fps and showing flattened primers so I got to agree with Joe, you are not getting 1700fps out of a 357 snubbie.

As far as the 45 goes I do get 880fps out of my glock 36 using 185gr handloads.

Bottom line is I don't want to get hit with either.

I think that Ruger makes great guns, I would probably buy an LCR if I found a good price on one and I didn't already have a taurus 85 ultralight.

VFORVENDETTA

My Ruger Blackhawk (original 3 screw) with the 4 5/8" barrel gets an average 1269fps with factory winchester 145gr silvertip ammo. With handloaded 158 gr bullets I am getting an average of 1228fps and showing flattened primers so I got to agree with Joe, you are not getting 1700fps out of a 357 snubbie.

As far as the 45 goes I do get 880fps out of my glock 36 using 185gr handloads.

Bottom line is I don't want to get hit with either.

I think that Ruger makes great guns, I would probably buy an LCR if I found a good price on one and I didn't already have a taurus 85 ultralight.

I didn't realize we were talking about short barreled guns. Revolvers never include the cylinder. Autos measure the whole barrel.
I was also talking about 125grain 357.

simmonsjoe

Autos have shorter barrels,

I didn't realize we were talking about short barreled guns. Revolvers never include the cylinder. Autos measure the whole barrel.
But are more efficient due to the lack of cylinder gap, dead space in the Throat, etc. in short firearms.
You are correct that a 357mag from a long barreled revolved is absolutely devastating. typically a 45acp will not see as much of a gain from an extended barrel.

The Ruger LCR with 38spl +p's would be a good choice.

As for 45ACPs, TCMECH, look at buffalo bore. He gets 200grain JHP running 1075fps from 5". (185gr @ 1180fps:eek:, I bet it is still running 1000 out of your 36)

Last edited:

ARADCOM

Good point!

Man, that is a really good point that I've never even thought about. A .357 is a inch and a half long and when you add that to a LCR's 1.88" barrel that's about the same as a 3.75" barrel in a semi-auto. Thanks for the schoolin'.

MSC 45ACP

I bet even some .38 WC would be pretty devestating at short range (the intended use for the LCR). I figure the LCR-357 will be a better choice and last longer if you use .38 rounds in it. I gave my dad a S&W Mod 19 back in the 80's and he only shoots 38's in it. It is still in "like-new" condition.

Marco

ballisticsbytheinch.com

A family member has an LCR and likes it, it's accurate, reliable and easy to carry.

Last edited: