• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kimber custom 1911

damienrr

Anybody no a gun dealer in Maine that might have a Kimber TLE/RL II in stock? Trying to convince my wife that I need one.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Anybody no a gun dealer in Maine that might have a Kimber TLE/RL II in stock? Trying to convince my wife that I need one.
have a FFL order you one? I mean if your sure that this is what you want? I personally don't like Kimber and this was reinforced today by a Custom II jamming constantly on a person in a live action pistol competition... needless to say my HK ran flawlessly for 3? 4? people? ya... ;-) haha. k in all reality it was the ammo he was usin... but I still just don't like Kimber! personal opinion, this in no way reflects the opinion/viewpoint of the Maine Open Carry Association.

damienrr

have a FFL order you one? I mean if your sure that this is what you want? I personally don't like Kimber and this was reinforced today by a Custom II jamming constantly on a person in a live action pistol competition... needless to say my HK ran flawlessly for 3? 4? people? ya... ;-) haha. k in all reality it was the ammo he was usin... but I still just don't like Kimber! personal opinion, this in no way reflects the opinion/viewpoint of the Maine Open Carry Association.

Kimber was not my first choice to be honest. I was interested in both the Springfield loaded and Colt XSE rail. Springfeild would make sence considering I am fond of the xdm series of pistols. I obviously have not purchased yet so maybe some feedback from the forum would be good. Kimber sure is pretty though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Kimber was not my first choice to be honest. I was interested in both the Springfield loaded and Colt XSE rail. Springfeild would make sence considering I am fond of the xdm series of pistols. I obviously have not purchased yet so maybe some feedback from the forum would be good. Kimber sure is pretty though.

Since you asked.:p

Kimber is a factory production line facility that stamps all of their handguns "Custom." Their primary marketing tool is the appearance of the guns - they are pretty

I have personally owned two of them - neither of which Kimber ever fixed right. Wilson said they would not work on a Kimber when I inquired about approx. cost to repair on my own. Sold them both.

I own a Les Baer TR Special and Smith & Wesson Performance Shop 1911 and they have never burped, gagged or stuttered. The Baer was more expensive than either Kimber but the Smith was cheaper and they shoot heads up, dead even.

Kimbers - love 'em or hate 'em. ymmv

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Since you asked.```````````:p

Kimber is a factory production line facility that stamps all of their handguns "Custom." Their primary marketing tool is the appearance of the guns - they are pretty

I have personally owned two of them - neither of which Kimber ever fixed right. Wilson said they would not work on a Kimber when I inquired about approx. cost to repair on my own. Sold them both.

I own a Les Baer TR Special and Smith & Wesson Performance Shop 1911 and they have never burped, gagged or stuttered. The Baer was more expensive than either Kimber but the Smith was cheaper and they shoot heads up, dead even.

Kimbers - love 'em or hate 'em. ymmv

Just thinking out loud, but any reason why you want a 1911? I know that they are awesome, although I really do not see how grapeshot carries one all day. They are incredibly heavy and large. I love my HK USPc for everyday carry, it's light and easy. For competition obviously a 1911 would be the premier firearm, well depending upon the competition but typically. But in my personal opinion I would go with (depending upon your bank account) wilson combat, sig sauer *the target 1911* or like grape said a smith custom shop. besides that you've still got STI which is $$... when you talk 1911 your options are absolutely limitless! And do NOT take one persons opinion, go to gun shops, handle handle handle and try the trigger pull many many times and on different days before you choose a firearm. Never impulse buy! (spoken from experience).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I really do not see how grapeshot carries one all day. They are incredibly heavy and large. (spoken from experience).

LOL - My everyday 1911 is the commander size Smith on an alloy frame. Two 8 round magazines on the other side balances me out nicely. I list neither to port nor starboard. :lol:

damienrr

Just thinking out loud, but any reason why you want a 1911? I know that they are awesome, although I really do not see how grapeshot carries one all day. They are incredibly heavy and large. I love my HK USPc for everyday carry, it's light and easy. For competition obviously a 1911 would be the premier firearm, well depending upon the competition but typically. But in my personal opinion I would go with (depending upon your bank account) wilson combat, sig sauer *the target 1911* or like grape said a smith custom shop. besides that you've still got STI which is $$... when you talk 1911 your options are absolutely limitless! And do NOT take one persons opinion, go to gun shops, handle handle handle and try the trigger pull many many times and on different days before you choose a firearm. Never impulse buy! (spoken from experience).

Always wanted one. Certainly would not use as everyday carry. Although my XDMs are pushing that weight. Only they have lots more firepower. It would be more home defense / target / show piece. Budget is around $1000, so Wilson Combat, Les Baer ext. is out of the question, for now. My everyday carry is, don't laugh, Taurus millennium .380. Dont mind the abuse on that piece and im fairly confident it will get the job done. I never buy on some one elses opinion, although i do take them in consideration. Thats why i posted the thread, I would like to check them out before i make my decision. There are so many good handguns available today its crazy. Like the saying goes, opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one. Need to hit the lottery!!!!!

Last edited:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Always wanted one. Certainly would not use as everyday carry. Although my XDMs are pushing that weight. Only they have lots more firepower. It would be more home defense / target / show piece. Budget is around $1000, so Wilson Combat, Les Baer ext. is out of the question, for now. My everyday carry is, don't laugh, Taurus millennium .380. Dont mind the abuse on that piece and im fairly confident it will get the job done. I never buy on some one elses opinion, although i do take them in consideration. Thats why i posted the thread, I would like to check them out before i make my decision. There are so many good handguns available today its crazy. Like the saying goes, opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one. Need to hit the lottery!!!!!

If I were you... I would pick up the Sig Sauer target 1911... but thats just me. I love that gun, it's not absolutely perfect out of the box but it's damn close. As close as your going to come with that price tag. **of course if u read reviews it's not typically liked by the reviewer.**

Last edited:

Butch00

I have various 1911's
Auto ordinance - Blue 4" Pit Bull
AMT - SS 5" 45
AMT - SS 5" 10mm
Safari Arms - SS 5" 45
Para-Ordinance P-14 - SS 5" 45
Pit Bull was $365. The P-14 was $1000. The rest was priced in between.
The most important thing is they all go bang when you pull the trigger.
So look around and find something you like.

Gunslinger

I carry SIG 1911s. There is a picture of a railed 5" model, as one of mine is, with the caption "Yeah, they look funny, but you are just as dead." SIG's interpretation of the 1911, thicker top slide, external extractor primarily, upset M1911A1 purists. I judge a gun on what happens when I pull the trigger. For a $900-1100 pistol, SIG matches up against anyone and beats Kimber, Smith and Springer for my money, obviously as I bought two. You can get a TRP for 5 bills more, but won't get $500 better. And the lower cost SA's are made in Brazil. I'd choose a Nighthawk, Baer or Wilson if someone was buying it for me. When it's my money, I'll go with the made in NH SIG and pocket the $1000-1800 I didn't spend extra.

damienrr

If I were you... I would pick up the Sig Sauer target 1911... but thats just me. I love that gun, it's not absolutely perfect out of the box but it's damn close. As close as your going to come with that price tag. **of course if u read reviews it's not typically liked by the reviewer.**

Didnt know Sig made 1911s !!! Definitely on the list.

M

McX

pics of beautiful nekked .45's. wish they made girls that looked that good.

inkedcook

Para???

For what it's worth I have a Para P14 LDA, and I absolutely LOVE it. Yes, it's big, and at times bulky. How you carry it, and what type of holster will make a substancial difference... For the larger framed Pistols, I find that the "inside the pant, behind the back" style of holsters are the most comfortable and least inconvenient...
My everyday Carry is a Sig PRO, in .357 sig - and it's everything that I could hope for, compact, relaible like none other, and with the 12 round clip, will put out some lead in a hurry... They are different guns, and I own them for their respective differences.
Play, handle, dry fire, and if you can get away with it take it to the range before buying, you can't exactly return a gun if you hate it after a week.

damienrr

Have you looked at STI? They make really good guns! :) --> http://www.stiguns.com/

I checked out STI website, NICE pistols but would like to start out with more traditional 1911. Their over my budget. If i had that type of cash to spend I would want to buy a Nighthawk, Wilson Combat. Looked to me more of a competition style pistol. They reminded me of the pistols Angelina Jolie uses in Wanted. I wont be ready to buy for a while so still have plenty of time to shop. That is most of the fun anyway. I plan on buying a AK-74 for birthday next month, lot less money and need another battle rifle for my cabinet. Not sure if I will buy a 74 or a 47. Also plan on buying wife a pistol for her b-day. She likes Walther ppk. I tried to convince her to get Ruger LCP with crimson trace, so i can use as cc. but its her gun so what ever she wants. Walther is most likely better shooter anyway.

Last edited:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I checked out STI website, NICE pistols but would like to start out with more traditional 1911. Their over my budget. If i had that type of cash to spend I would want to buy a Nighthawk, Wilson Combat. Looked to me more of a competition style pistol. They reminded me of the pistols Angelina Jolie uses in Wanted. I wont be ready to buy for a while so still have plenty of time to shop. That is most of the fun anyway. I plan on buying a AK-74 for birthday next month, lot less money and need another battle rifle for my cabinet. Not sure if I will buy a 74 or a 47. Also plan on buying wife a pistol for her b-day. She likes Walther ppk. I tried to convince her to get Ruger LCP with crimson trace, so i can use as cc. but its her gun so what ever she wants. Walther is most likely better shooter anyway.
I really hate the walther... just sayin, i personally think it's complete junk. The XD is much more of a firearm in a polymer framed handgun in the same ballpark price range really. And the STI's come in all different prices, I personally like the 1100.00 dollar trojan.