• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What cities are ignoring us, hoping we will go away?

detroit_fan

Just catching up on some of the threads and it seems that Taylor is not cooperating. It also seems that the Pontiac council is not doing what they need to.

Are there any other places that are openly flaunting the fact that they are breaking the law even after being notified?

B

Bikenut

I suspect that, all across the Nation, many cities/townships/villages/counties will stall and stonewall until they see how Chicago's anti gun ordinances fare in the courts.

Now... because of MCL 123.1102 I don't see how any municipalities in Michigan can continue to stall with changing their ordinances.... but if they do stall too long:

An excerpt from:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/writ+of+mandamus
mandamus

[Latin, We comand.] A writ or order that is issued from a court of superior jurisdiction that commands an inferior tribunal, corporation, Municipal Corporation, or individual to perform, or refrain from performing, a particular act, the performance or omission of which is required by law as an obligation.

Perhaps this could be brought to bear?

Granted I'm not familiar with how to go about obtaining a Writ of Mandamus or even if a court would entertain such a thing. But I know there are other, much more informed, folks here who either do know... or can find out... more about it.

Edited to add:
Just more wondering on my part.... If the Attorney General's Office were informed of municipalities that have illegal ordinances would the AG's office send them a letter... or something... instructing them to change said ordinances because challenging the ordinances on a case by case basis not only infringes upon the rights of... but also creates an undue burden upon... the citizens? Or do I have what the AG's Office can do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

PDinDetroit

I suspect that, all across the Nation, many cities/townships/villages/counties will stall and stonewall until they see how Chicago's anti gun ordinances fare in the courts.

Now... because of MCL 123.1102 I don't see how any municipalities in Michigan can continue to stall with changing their ordinances.... but if they do stall too long:

An excerpt from:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/writ+of+mandamus
mandamus

[Latin, We comand.] A writ or order that is issued from a court of superior jurisdiction that commands an inferior tribunal, corporation, Municipal Corporation, or individual to perform, or refrain from performing, a particular act, the performance or omission of which is required by law as an obligation.

Perhaps this could be brought to bear?

Granted I'm not familiar with how to go about obtaining a Writ of Mandamus or even if a court would entertain such a thing. But I know there are other, much more informed, folks here who either do know... or can find out... more about it.

Edited to add:
Just more wondering on my part.... If the Attorney General's Office were informed of municipalities that have illegal ordinances would the AG's office send them a letter... or something... instructing them to change said ordinances because challenging the ordinances on a case by case basis not only infringes upon the rights of... but also creates an undue burden upon... the citizens? Or do I have what the AG's Office can do wrong?

Possibly for the Writ of Mandamus.

There are also Temporary Restraining Orders (TRO) and Injunctions, which may be best used in tandem.

Interesting Link: http://barkingdogs.net/ducequity.shtml