Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police Interactions Like This One Are Why We Carry Recorders.

Police Interactions Like This One Are Why We Carry Recorders.

It's not because we're looking for a lawsuit, it's because law abiding citizens get taken advantage of.

Poor guy was plinking with his single shot .22 rifle on his own property and get arrested on 4 felony counts, has his home and gunsafe searched, and guns confiscated.

Ridiculous.

http://www.kccn.tv/ Seriously, freedom loving Americans need to watch this video.

By DANIEL BLACKBURN

When San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Deputy Darren Murphy responded to a “shots fired” call in April 2008, he decided en route that he was going to make an arrest.

He did far more than that. Murphy and other deputies made an unwarranted entry into a home, and then into a locked gun safe. Murphy's uncensored, darkly disturbing observations and behavior following his Code-3 arrival at the rural home of longtime SLO County resident Matt Hart were picked up by Murphy's and other deputies’ own recorders. Those recordings provide a rare, frighteningly revealing, behind-the-scenes perspective of how one local law enforcement agency views the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and other laws its personnel are sworn to uphold.

Sheriff’s spinner Rob Bryn declined to confirm the identities of any of the deputies appearing or heard in the recordings, or to discuss any aspect of the Hart home invasion. So we've done that for you. (Bryn, ever the public servant, eventually stopped responding to e-mails from a KCCN.tv reporter.)

Deputies’ deportment in the field as exhibited by their own words, as well as their plainly audible efforts to fabricate justifications for their actions, are lamentable. Local county prosecutors’ subsequent abuse of power, wielded in a cavalier, clumsy, and transparent effort to avoid a lawsuit, also is troubling.

But in the larger scheme of things, it is the systematic dismantling of the Fourth Amendment by over-zealous cops and an enabling judiciary that should be a cause of concern for every American citizen. Incredibly, Hart's case may be less of an anomaly than it appears.

The question is: Should law enforcement officers like Deputy Darren Murphy be allowed to make day-to-day, life-changing decisions regarding the fate of law-abiding citizens?

Watch. Listen. And then you be the judge.
    Last edited by sevenplusone; 07-18-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: forgot the link!!

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, USA
    Last edited by ISMOID; 07-18-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Wow I sincerely hope these police officers all go to jail for a very long time, I can think of SEVERAL felonies they commited...
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by eastmeyers View Post
    Wow I sincerely hope these police officers all go to jail for a very long time, I can think of SEVERAL felonies they commited...
    And of course, have his conviction over turned, and get the Supreme Court to rule against that agency

Video isn't loading for me.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

You need the latest version of QuickTime. I was having the same problem earlier today.
    Last edited by Mosnar87; 07-18-2010 at 11:33 PM.
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    —John F. Kennedy

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    —Oliver Wendell Holmes

Ew. Apple software? No thanks. I'll take your word for it.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    Ew. Apple software? No thanks. I'll take your word for it.
    Like everything, it's on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wKRKGqYZjI

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    Like everything, it's on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wKRKGqYZjI
    That's a truncated version. The full version is 22 minutes long.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    That's a truncated version. The full version is 22 minutes long.
    I archived it for you:

http://dieselwarrior.com/firearm/matt_hart.mp4

If you dont have the ability to play MP4 videos, VLC has everything built in:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Andrew

That guy got screwed.
    Sounds like he should have shut the f*(k up and not let them take his keys. No respect for the police.

These stories are not just infuriating, but depressing.

You see so much of this type of stuff going on once you're tuned in to it that it's hard to keep perspective of the fact that most LEOs are great at what they do and back your rights up more than you do.

I've been trying to keep this at the forefront of my mind. I do things like tell my 3 yr old son that the police are going to help someone whenever I see them zipping down the road. Or if there are a bunch of them that congregated around a vehicle, I tell him that they are there to get the guys and make sure our town is safe.

I don't like living in a mindset that they are always to be suspected of being the enemy. It was getting to that point for me a while there.
    I always open carry one of my Kimber 1911 pistols everywhere I go. Usually in a paddle holster. Nothing fancy, but it works for me.

The cop was a dusche with the comments, im going to arrests him for whatever, BUT here are the facts from what I can tell

Shots Fired on the radio, and Man With a Gun. so whats this mean? Dead bodies? In the house? Who knows. How you going to find out? SEARCH THE HOUSE! With a shots fired AND Man with a gun, I would feel as a Jury member the police were in the clear. The Comments from the Cop are what would get him screwed!!

Granted they should have tried talking to the subject, but looks like he was the type of guy that does the wash rinsh repeat stuff. If the guy would have explained he was target shooting in his backyard, go ahead and look. Rifle rest, Target, single shot .22 They could have looked around and left.

Also I cant find Part 2 I saw enough

Sigh... Part two........ Cops ****** up. You cant open the safe! That safe is not going anywhere, neither is anything inside! I still think they could have went into the home to look for a victim, but thats it!

God it just gets worse, these cops are just dumb. They dont even know what they are doing. Sounds like the guys at the academy that struggle to pass the academy!
    Last edited by jeremy05; 07-19-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: saw part 2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy05 View Post

Granted they should have tried talking to the subject,

We are not subjects. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by erb View Post
    That guy got screwed.
    Sounds like he should have shut the f*(k up and not let them take his keys. No respect for the police.
    Just how we he supposed to "not let them" take his keys? He was handcuffed. His keys were clipped to a belt loop. He told them no; they took them anyway.

Is there an end to this story?

Angry

Wow. i was pissed about something else before I even watched that video. I might have to leave work for a few minutes. Its gonna be a bad day.

Banned
    Dont tell yourself that you'll have a bad day man.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rJ-6hBfSo

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
    Is there an end to this story?
    In the full 22 minute video, it says at the end that all felony charges were dropped in return for a guilty plea on a single misdemeanor. The homeowner was being threatened with decades in prison and was (I think) relying on a public defender. He took the deal.

Those police officers should have been sent to jail! What they did was somewhere in the realm of burglary, robbery, unlawful detention/kidnapping, malicious/vicious prosecution......

Where are all the good lawyers?

Anomaly!
    Last edited by Agent1; 07-20-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: CSFS

wow, that was pretty disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy05 View Post
    Shots Fired on the radio, and Man With a Gun. so whats this mean? Dead bodies? In the house? Who knows. How you going to find out? SEARCH THE HOUSE! With a shots fired AND Man with a gun, I would feel as a Jury member the police were in the clear.
    Really? They get there and see a guy still target shooting a single-shot .22 rifle. Where are you getting RAS or PC to search a house? Furthemore, I see this is a blatant abuse of the exigent circumstances exception to the 4th amendment.
    Last edited by sevenplusone; 07-20-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Banned
    There isn't any. This guy should be able to sue for several hundred thousand dollars, and those police should be charged with felonies so that their guns get taken.

Isn't it sad that a guy sitting on his property legally shooting a single-shot .22 rifle requires such a large number of officers to "question/investigate" him. It looked like the guy was out in the country minding his own business. That some citizen would actually make a call to report this is even more astounding. Seeing this, I consider myself lucky that I live here and not in California...
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    true, i don't think someone target shooting on their own property on a country road would get a second look here in michigan. even from the police.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast