• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Interactions Like This One Are Why We Carry Recorders.

sevenplusone

It's not because we're looking for a lawsuit, it's because law abiding citizens get taken advantage of.

Poor guy was plinking with his single shot .22 rifle on his own property and get arrested on 4 felony counts, has his home and gunsafe searched, and guns confiscated.

Ridiculous.

http://www.kccn.tv/ Seriously, freedom loving Americans need to watch this video.

By DANIEL BLACKBURN

When San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Deputy Darren Murphy responded to a “shots fired” call in April 2008, he decided en route that he was going to make an arrest.

He did far more than that. Murphy and other deputies made an unwarranted entry into a home, and then into a locked gun safe. Murphy's uncensored, darkly disturbing observations and behavior following his Code-3 arrival at the rural home of longtime SLO County resident Matt Hart were picked up by Murphy's and other deputies’ own recorders. Those recordings provide a rare, frighteningly revealing, behind-the-scenes perspective of how one local law enforcement agency views the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and other laws its personnel are sworn to uphold.

Sheriff’s spinner Rob Bryn declined to confirm the identities of any of the deputies appearing or heard in the recordings, or to discuss any aspect of the Hart home invasion. So we've done that for you. (Bryn, ever the public servant, eventually stopped responding to e-mails from a KCCN.tv reporter.)

Deputies’ deportment in the field as exhibited by their own words, as well as their plainly audible efforts to fabricate justifications for their actions, are lamentable. Local county prosecutors’ subsequent abuse of power, wielded in a cavalier, clumsy, and transparent effort to avoid a lawsuit, also is troubling.

But in the larger scheme of things, it is the systematic dismantling of the Fourth Amendment by over-zealous cops and an enabling judiciary that should be a cause of concern for every American citizen. Incredibly, Hart's case may be less of an anomaly than it appears.

The question is: Should law enforcement officers like Deputy Darren Murphy be allowed to make day-to-day, life-changing decisions regarding the fate of law-abiding citizens?

Watch. Listen. And then you be the judge.

Last edited:

erb

That guy got screwed.
Sounds like he should have shut the f*(k up and not let them take his keys. No respect for the police.

The Expert

These stories are not just infuriating, but depressing.

You see so much of this type of stuff going on once you're tuned in to it that it's hard to keep perspective of the fact that most LEOs are great at what they do and back your rights up more than you do.

I've been trying to keep this at the forefront of my mind. I do things like tell my 3 yr old son that the police are going to help someone whenever I see them zipping down the road. Or if there are a bunch of them that congregated around a vehicle, I tell him that they are there to get the guys and make sure our town is safe.

I don't like living in a mindset that they are always to be suspected of being the enemy. It was getting to that point for me a while there.

jeremy05

The cop was a dusche with the comments, im going to arrests him for whatever, BUT here are the facts from what I can tell

Shots Fired on the radio, and Man With a Gun. so whats this mean? Dead bodies? In the house? Who knows. How you going to find out? SEARCH THE HOUSE! With a shots fired AND Man with a gun, I would feel as a Jury member the police were in the clear. The Comments from the Cop are what would get him screwed!!

Granted they should have tried talking to the subject, but looks like he was the type of guy that does the wash rinsh repeat stuff. If the guy would have explained he was target shooting in his backyard, go ahead and look. Rifle rest, Target, single shot .22 They could have looked around and left.

Also I cant find Part 2 I saw enough

Sigh... Part two........ Cops ****** up. You cant open the safe! That safe is not going anywhere, neither is anything inside! I still think they could have went into the home to look for a victim, but thats it!

God it just gets worse, these cops are just dumb. They dont even know what they are doing. Sounds like the guys at the academy that struggle to pass the academy!

Last edited:

KBCraig

That guy got screwed.
Sounds like he should have shut the f*(k up and not let them take his keys. No respect for the police.

Just how we he supposed to "not let them" take his keys? He was handcuffed. His keys were clipped to a belt loop. He told them no; they took them anyway.

KBCraig

Is there an end to this story?

In the full 22 minute video, it says at the end that all felony charges were dropped in return for a guilty plea on a single misdemeanor. The homeowner was being threatened with decades in prison and was (I think) relying on a public defender. He took the deal.

Agent1

Those police officers should have been sent to jail! What they did was somewhere in the realm of burglary, robbery, unlawful detention/kidnapping, malicious/vicious prosecution......:cuss:

Where are all the good lawyers?:banghead:

Anomaly!

Last edited: