• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not allowed to open carry?

goalseter88

well i been reading posts and from what i read. OC is baned in FL? i havent looked at the laws yet. thought i save time and see if i could find out faster here before. and from what i read its ban statewide? am i correct?

if so i disapointed, coming down there in a couple months for a wedding and was hoping to do some open carry, mabye try to get my parents( florida residents) into OC. but i guess that wont be happening:(.

Vector

oc is limited to fishing, camping, and going directly to and from. This state sucks for OC, but isint that bad for CCW, apart from the poll tax

brboyer

And going to, at, and returning from the shooting range.

And at home, work, the range, etc.

See Florida Statutes 790.25, section 3:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC25.HTM&Title=->2009->Ch0790->Section%2025#0790.25

brboyer

so how they prove your going to the range,camping,fishing etc? i mean so as long as ur in your car you could say your going to the range. hell even walking you could argue your walking there. i not saying i do this. i just curious how they inforce this.

You do not need to prove anything, the State has the burden of proof in this situation. That's in court.

On the street, the LEO must have a reasonable suspicion to believe that you are not on your way to/from (and therefore committing a crime). If you have fish on a stringer or a fishing pole, tent, or sleeping bag. Or perhaps a range membership card or a range bag.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
so how they prove your going to the range,camping,fishing etc? i mean so as long as ur in your car you could say your going to the range. hell even walking you could argue your walking there. i not saying i do this. i just curious how they inforce this.

This begs the question... Should you get a ride ALMOST to the range, then get out and walk the remaining quarter mile?

I don't see how it's practical. About the only way to OC is to be 'asking for it.'

There's a lake on the other side of town. I could walk smack through the middle of downtown Gainesville with a fishing pole on my way to Newnan's Lake. I'd have to walk right through the middle of 'the bad part of town,' too. I wonder if I stay out late, if I'd be guilty of the "the giant yellow ball of fusion in the sky is on the other side of the planet and this makes you a suspicious criminal" routine?

Handgun only? [giggle]

I absolutely know I'll be arrested, if not summarily executed. I haven't anything left to lose, so why not?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'm actually looking for input on this.

OK to get with a group of your buddies, ask for permission from the police, etc.

But for some guy to just do it because it's legal, that's not acceptable and you would never condone it...?

I wouldn't be doing what you want me to do, so I'm hurting the 'gun community.' Blah blah blah...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Yup. Just like I thought. Only members of the "we're buddies with LEOs club" and like to play dress up as phony detectives need apply.

opencarryinmo

what year did fl ban open carry

would like to know what yr did fl ban open carry, my understand is sometime around 89 -90?

ZO6Vettever

I have OCed many years ago when I lived in Pa. It was very uncomfortable in a suburban setting. Not sure I would OC here but would like it to be my decision.