Thread: Read here if you're interested in an Oregon CHL

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Read here if you're interested in an Oregon CHL

Hello,

I am trying to find two particular classes of people:

1) Permanent Resident Aliens who live outside of the state of Oregon who want to carry concealed and also openly in the "no Loaded Open Carry" cities.

2) US citizens of non-contiguous states to Oregon (not residing in California, Nevada, Washington, and Idaho) who want to carry concealed and also openly in the "no Loaded Open Carry" cities.

Go ahead and post here, or you can PM me, if you're interested.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
    What's your purpose? Are you looking for plaintiffs for a lawsuit?
    I live in California, but I own property in Oregon. I am only in Oregon once or twice a year for a week at a time. I would like to be able to open carry and/or get a permit to carry concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock tom View Post
    What's your purpose? Are you looking for plaintiffs for a lawsuit?
    I live in California, but I own property in Oregon. I am only in Oregon once or twice a year for a week at a time. I would like to be able to open carry and/or get a permit to carry concealed.
    That's a distinct possibility.

As for you, you can already apply to a sheriff in Oregon. I'd recommend Grant County, and I believe he will be coming down to California for a few shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
    Hello,

1) Permanent Resident Aliens who live outside of the state of Oregon who want to carry concealed and also openly in the "no Loaded Open Carry" cities.

2) US citizens of non-contiguous states to Oregon (not residing in California, Nevada, Washington, and Idaho) who want to carry concealed and also openly in the "no Loaded Open Carry" cities.

What about someone in WA who would apply for an Oregon CHL in a non-friendly city, such as Portland?

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    What about someone in WA who would apply for an Oregon CHL in a non-friendly city, such as Portland?
    You apply to Sheriff's, not City PD's. Multnomah County isn't too bad, but I still say Grant County is better for many reasons (one of them that Sheriff Palmer is a true believer in the RKBA)

There's a reason for me asking for those two classes of people. They are statutorily ineligible under state law to get a CHL. Those provisions are violations of the US constitution.

You apply to Sheriff's, not City PD's. Multnomah County isn't too bad, but I still say Grant County is better for many reasons (one of them that Sheriff Palmer is a true believer in the RKBA)

There's a reason for me asking for those two classes of people. They are statutorily ineligible under state law to get a CHL. Those provisions are violations of the US constitution.
    I suppose I'm asking if I were to apply to the place which is closest and which I have the most immediate plans to visit, and I were rejected, would that be worth fighting as an intermediate step (e.g. make the nearby states shall-issue, then go after the treatment of other states once the nearby ones are shall-issue, rather than potentially expanding may-issue to other states?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    I suppose I'm asking if I were to apply to the place which is closest and which I have the most immediate plans to visit, and I were rejected, would that be worth fighting as an intermediate step (e.g. make the nearby states shall-issue, then go after the treatment of other states once the nearby ones are shall-issue, rather than potentially expanding may-issue to other states?)
    Any litigation will focus on the acquirement of a CHL to be able to carry loaded being a right, specifically narrowly tailored to not foreclose future cases where the local city ordinances could be challenged as unconstitutional.

Alienage and right to travel cases via 2A are easier to win than 2A cases by themselves, at this moment. See my case against Denver as an example.

-Gray

Hmm... I'm torn.

I'm a huge fan of citizenship requirements for the RKBA, but I'm also a fan of reciprocity, though that, too, is based on citizenship requirements (of the reciprocating state).

Can't help you.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Hmm... I'm torn.

I'm a huge fan of citizenship requirements for the RKBA, but I'm also a fan of reciprocity, though that, too, is based on citizenship requirements (of the reciprocating state).

Can't help you.
    The US Supreme Court disagrees with you, and so has nearly every federal court which has reviewed anything carry law related and involving alienage:

Say v. Adams
    NRA/SAF v. Luce

The constitution protects the RKBA of all individuals in the United States, short those who are bearing arms against our country on behalf of a foreign nation or entity.

I might add also that the two classes of plaintiffs would have to challenged in two different cases. One on right to travel, and one on alienage. You do not have to support both to help one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Hmm... I'm torn.

Can't help you.
    I'm not torn at all. I think the RKBA belongs to every individual, regardless of citizenship, who otherwise qualifies.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Find anyone Deputy Peterson?

Founder's Club Member
    I'm a US citizen, and Texas resident with a Texas CHL.
    If it matters, I'm often in California, but I don't have residence there.
    Hit me up!

Hello,