• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is open carry?

DCKilla

It's here, but has no definition.

Mississippi Code of 1972 Section 45-9-101

(18) Nothing in this section shall be construed to require or allow the registration, documentation or providing of serial numbers with regard to any stun gun or firearm. Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any stun gun or a deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of 1972.

Last edited:

4angrybadgers

45-9-101 deals with a "License to carry stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver". I read the snippet you posted as "this license doesn't give the state's approval for OC". 97-37-1 also contains language regarding deadly weapons "concealed in whole or in part". Open carry itself is not prohibited/regulated anywhere in the state code that I've found. I am not aware of any law or court precedent (other than the infamously vague statements by Chief Justice Lee) that define exactly what "concealed in whole or in part" means.

Superlite27

Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any stun gun or a deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of 1972.

Pretty much a moot point. There's nothing in this section allowing folks to eat corn on the cob, either. Does this make eating corn on the cob illegal?

I doubt you'll find very many laws allowing any activity. Find the one allowing us to wear red pants? How about the one allowing us to purchase chewing gum without a licence?

If we were to require laws allowing us to perform different activities, our law books would be neccessarily HUGE since I can spend the rest of my life writing down lawful acts that would have to be listed.

The general format of a law is to prohibit. The key to open carry is not to find the law allowing it. There are none. This fails to make it illegal as there are no laws allowing anything. The key is to find the law prohibiting it. I'm not from Mississipi, so I am unfamiliar with any of your laws pertaining to OC. Maybe someone else could find one prohibiting openly carried firearms. If not, it's legal.

DCKilla

45-9-101 deals with a "License to carry stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver". I read the snippet you posted as "this license doesn't give the state's approval for OC". 97-37-1 also contains language regarding deadly weapons "concealed in whole or in part". Open carry itself is not prohibited/regulated anywhere in the state code that I've found. I am not aware of any law or court precedent (other than the infamously vague statements by Chief Justice Lee) that define exactly what "concealed in whole or in part" means.

I knew the title of the section was about concealed weapons. I never said that OC was prohibited. The fact there is no definition or section for "open or unconcealed carring" peaked my interest

MilProGuy

It's here, but has no definition.

Mississippi Code of 1972 Section 45-9-101

(18) Nothing in this section shall be construed to require or allow the registration, documentation or providing of serial numbers with regard to any stun gun or firearm. Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any stun gun or a deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of 1972.

The code definitely speaks clearly about the "issue" of open and unconcealed weapons.

But you are correct, it doesn't "define" the word "open".

To me, the definition of "open carry" is carrying a handgun that is in plain sight for others to see and is easily recognizable as a firearm.

Last edited:

DCKilla

The code definitely speaks clearly about the "issue" of open and unconcealed weapons.

But you are correct, it doesn't "define" the word "open".

To me, the definition of "open carry" is carrrying a handgun that is in plain sight for others to see and is easily recognizable as a firearm.
+1, thank you