• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sierra Vista OC experience

SixtyEightWhiskey

Let me first begin by saying that I just bought my first handgun (a Para 1911 .45 acp) a couple weeks ago. I'm new to AZ, originally from FL, and I'm stationed at Ft. Huachuca. Just got married and moved into some apartments about five minutes off post. At first, the area seemed like a nice place to live....until about a week after living there. I've seen countless dealers of questionable wares, seen several violent cases of domestic abuse to which the cops responded and had to drag the male out of the house, kicking and screaming, in handcuffs. Yeah, never a dull moment around here. My wife approached me one night and requested that I buy a gun, saying that she would feel safer that way (and to be honest, so would I. There's only so much one can do with a pocket knife).

Then, recently started reading up on how to get my CC permit, so I can have my weapon with me whenever I go anywhere. I then found out about OC laws in AZ (which I was REALLY taken aback, seeing as how I'm from FL) and decided to exercise my right to OC.

I didn't have any problems, per se, other than the occasional double-take or some excited ten year old. Yes, all was well, up until last night. I went out to Wal-Mart with my wife to do some shopping and had my .45 in my Blackhawk holster and two mag pouches on the opposite side. I was wearing a pair of nicely fitting dark blue jeans and one of my old BDU brown t-shirts, so needless to say, I didn't look like a slob or some gang-banger.

So, there I was, walking around Wal-Mart, doing my shopping and minding my business when this man approaches me. He was dressed rather nicely, polo and slacks, and I assumed he must've worked at Wal-Mart. Turns out he was a LEO. He tells me he works for the SVPD and begins to ask me why I think I can open carry a .45, and why I feel like I need to OC. So, seeing as he offered no form of ID, I was very short in my answers to him, stating that I was pretty sure that the OC laws were common knowledge amongst LEO's in AZ. He then told, not requested, told me to cover it with my shirt, to which I responded that I couldn't because I didn't have a CC permit and that even if I did I still wouldn't. He then asked me if I had a permit to OC. My jaw dropped and I thought of a clever little statement (which I saw on someones signature on these forums).

"Permit? I have a permit. It's called the Second Amendment. Good day sir."

I proceeded to go shopping, leaving him there dumbfounded. Has anyone else had any experiences like this in the Sierra Vista area? And while we're on the subject, I feel as though I'm the only one in this town exercising my right to OC. Anyone else out there?

Last edited:

GF

First of all welcome to AZ and the forum, and also thank you for your service. I'm a ways from where you are but I am glad you handled that situation in the manner that you did. It is very rare (at least in these parts) to get approached by anyone and harassed the way that you were. I have yet to have a negative encounter with someone that is opposed to it, but I always see the stares that people give, but honestly who cares. Just keep doing what you are doing and exercise your right. Also remember that July 29 you will no longer need a CCW to carry concealed. I hope your future OC experiences are positive ones.

AZkopper

Did he show you ID or a badge? If he didn't, I'm doubting if he was LEO. If he did, I'd call SVPD and complain. Their officers are acting illegally and ordering you to break the law.

mFonz77

Did he show you ID or a badge? If he didn't, I'm doubting if he was LEO. If he did, I'd call SVPD and complain. Their officers are acting illegally and ordering you to break the law.

Sir (As I'm civilian I'll call you "sir" if that's ok), I live in SV currently and that was WAY out of line.

A) I OC lots of places, especially Wal-Mart, and have NEVER had an issue. I see many other OCers there, in Fry's, etc...
B) If he was a real LEO he should have identified himself as such. I'm fairly sure you just had a run-in with a feel-good panty-wetter California transplant, if I had to put money on it.
C) I agree w/ AZ Kopper. I'd call the SVPD with the man's description and replay the interaction for them. If this person was an actual LEO, he is in DIRE need of some training and some basic instruction on the ARS.

D) Send me a PM if you want to do an OC lunch or something....Golden Corral is very OC-friendly and appreciative of our dollars.