• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So, I'm posting this from the USM Portland campus...

jonjon_jon

Where I can't legally carry my sidearm.

I can't even bring it on the property.

And since I'm a commuter, that means I can't even bring it with me because I have nowhere off-campus to leave it. Which means I'm being deprived of my basic self-defense tool not just during classes, but from the moment I leave the house until the time I get home at night.

Isn't that something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X1VkkwIyOs&feature=sub Have you seen this clip yet. Found it on OC Homepage. You may want to send it to your Dean. Just a thought, it would give him something to consider.

ep0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X1VkkwIyOs&feature=sub Have you seen this clip yet. Found it on OC Homepage. You may want to send it to your Dean. Just a thought, it would give him something to consider.

I've been meaning to link a bunch of John Stossel videos on the site. Hadn't seen this one though.

Edit: I've been considering getting involved with concealedcampus.org even though CC is a compromise of sorts. Allowing CWP holders to carry on campus would be a huge step in the direction towards OC though.

Last edited:

SleepyTime

Why do you need a gun for college?

Just wear your skiing goggles and gangsta bandanna. I'm sure everyone will think you are dangerous or downright retarded and won't mess with you. Some people understand open carry. Others think its just a way to make their manhood look bigger. Leave the gun at home while at school Junior. After you get home and eat dinner then you can put it on. Just as long as your homework is done.

--Warning--
--Rules Violation--

While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

ep0k

Just wear your skiing goggles and gangsta bandanna. I'm sure everyone will think you are dangerous or downright retarded and won't mess with you. Some people understand open carry. Others think its just a way to make their manhood look bigger. Leave the gun at home while at school Junior. After you get home and eat dinner then you can put it on. Just as long as your homework is done.

Oh look, a troll.

First off, young man, they're dust and sand goggles and a balaclava from my time in the Army. I can probably break down, reassemble, and operate more weapon systems that you can even name, and I'm a certified safety instructor for most of them.

Second, I think I understand Open-Carry pretty damned well. I'm a founding member and the webmaster for this state's only OC advocacy group. My picture's on the front page of maineopencarry.org.

Read this and tell me if you still think I'm just trying to look tough:

http://maineopencarry.org/media_essays.html

You know why I want to OC on a college campus? Because of **** like Virginia Tech. I don't like attending class in a government mandated self-defense free zone.

SleepyTime

Yawn

....All I'm saying is that you don't need a gun for college. Put it in your glove box and lock it up. Congrats for knowing more weapon systems than I do. Please give me your address so I can send a cookie. 'Army dust goggles' (skiing goggle) aren't really required sitting in front of the web cam. I guess I came to the wrong open carry website. I came here so I could read some threads about issues I have with a friend that is now different because he carries. I know I shouldn't have got him into it. I guess you proved my point about some people and overly aggressive behavior. But you are the webmaster so wave your little puppet strings and ban my account because I posted an opinion. *hugs*

boyscout399

....All I'm saying is that you don't need a gun for college. Put it in your glove box and lock it up. Congrats for knowing more weapon systems than I do. Please give me your address so I can send a cookie. 'Army dust goggles' (skiing goggle) aren't really required sitting in front of the web cam. I guess I came to the wrong open carry website. I came here so I could read some threads about issues I have with a friend that is now different because he carries. I know I shouldn't have got him into it. I guess you proved my point about some people and overly aggressive behavior. But you are the webmaster so wave your little puppet strings and ban my account because I posted an opinion. *hugs*

what evidence do you have to prove that Epok will never need his gun while he is at college? There have been many college and school shootings throughout the past several years, not just in this country, but all over the world. I would argue that due to incidents like Columbine and Virginia Tech that an armed resistance to that attack would have greatly gimped the attackers ability to rack up a high body count.

I pray that you never fall victim to a crime while unarmed due to a false sense of security at an area that is not at all secure.

Carry always because criminals don't take breaks. They don't ask your permission before they attack. They don't tell you ahead of time where and when they will attack you. Be prepared is the motto of the Boy Scouts. Epok doesn't believe he will be attacked when he leaves his house, but he's prepared for it. He also wears a seatbelt while driving even though his chances of getting into an accident are virtually nil. He probably has smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in his house too. That doesn't mean he thinks it's gonna burn down today, but he is prepared for the eventuality.

1 in 3 adults will be the victim of a violent crime at some point in their life.

SleepyTime

I partially agree

what evidence do you have to prove that Epok will never need his gun while he is at college? There have been many college and school shootings throughout the past several years, not just in this country, but all over the world. I would argue that due to incidents like Columbine and Virginia Tech that an armed resistance to that attack would have greatly gimped the attackers ability to rack up a high body count.

I pray that you never fall victim to a crime while unarmed due to a false sense of security at an area that is not at all secure.

Carry always because criminals don't take breaks. They don't ask your permission before they attack. They don't tell you ahead of time where and when they will attack you. Be prepared is the motto of the Boy Scouts. Epok doesn't believe he will be attacked when he leaves his house, but he's prepared for it. He also wears a seatbelt while driving even though his chances of getting into an accident are virtually nil. He probably has smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in his house too. That doesn't mean he thinks it's gonna burn down today, but he is prepared for the eventuality.

1 in 3 adults will be the victim of a violent crime at some point in their life.

I do see your point. There is campus security there which will protect you for the most part. I have been victim of a violent crime. I was mugged and beat down bad in Portland. I almost died from it. If it wasn't for some lady cop walking her German Sheppard down the street I probably would have. It was the only time I've ever kissed a dog. haha. There is a reason why they don't allow carrying in certain areas. I 100% agree about being safe and prepared. Sometimes you just have to let things be what it is. I wear my seat belt. I have a tactical shotgun under my bed. I floss three times a day but I only brush my teeth twice. But......I don't own a radiation suit for the fear of nuclear war. However if you do own a radiation suit I stand 100% wrong and you are correct.

ep0k

Congrats for knowing more weapon systems than I do. Please give me your address so I can send a cookie.

You come on these forums, treat me link a plebe fresh out of high school with a bad case of swinging **** syndrome, and now you want to mock me because I called you out on it. Well-played, Sir.

....All I'm saying is that you don't need a gun for college. Put it in your glove box and lock it up.

That is illegal. I cannot bring a firearm onto campus in any capacity, even stowed and disassembled in my vehicle, which is the point I was making when I started this thread.

'Army dust goggles' (skiing goggle) aren't really required sitting in front of the web cam.

Now you're just being childish.

I guess I came to the wrong open carry website. I came here so I could read some threads about issues I have with a friend that is now different because he carries.

Your very first act on these forums was to insult me and talk trash without knowing anything about me, which has nothing to do with what you just claimed.

I know I shouldn't have got him into it. I guess you proved my point about some people and overly aggressive behavior. But you are the webmaster so wave your little puppet strings and ban my account because I posted an opinion. *hugs*

I don't regulate this site and I wouldn't ban you if I did. Please elaborate on my "overly aggressive behavior" because it seems to me that all you've done is fling a few baseless insults and I've responded to your bad attitude in like kind.

Maybe if you had started with the questions instead of calling me "junior", saying I looked like a retard, and basically pulling a holier-than-thou routine in your very first post... you would have gotten a more thoughtful response. Your ad-hominem attack has failed and now you're butthurt.

With regards to your buddy, it doesn't sound like he's acting very appropriately. Open carrying should be an exercise in basic rights, a deterrent to crime, and an opportunity to show people that there's no threat from a firearm in the holster of a responsible, law-abiding citizen. If he's using it as a tool of intimidation and it's affecting his behavior, he's giving us all a bad name and I don't think he would be very welcome at any of our events.

SleepyTime

You are right. I apologize.

You come on these forums, treat me link a plebe fresh out of high school with a bad case of swinging dick syndrome, and now you want to mock me because I called you out on it. Well-played, Sir.

That is illegal. I cannot bring a firearm onto campus in any capacity, even stowed and disassembled in my vehicle, which is the point I was making when I started this thread.

Now you're just being childish.

Your very first act on these forums was to insult me and talk trash without knowing anything about me, which has nothing to do with what you just claimed.

I don't regulate this site and I wouldn't ban you if I did. Please elaborate on my "overly aggressive behavior" because it seems to me that all you've done is fling a few baseless insults and I've responded to your bad attitude in like kind.

Maybe if you had started with the questions instead of calling me "junior", saying I looked like a retard, and basically pulling a holier-than-thou routine in your very first post... you would have gotten a more thoughtful response. Your ad-hominem attack has failed and now you're butthurt.

With regards to your buddy, it doesn't sound like he's acting very appropriately. Open carrying should be an exercise in basic rights, a deterrent to crime, and an opportunity to show people that there's no threat from a firearm in the holster of a responsible, law-abiding citizen. If he's using it as a tool of intimidation and it's affecting his behavior, he's giving us all a bad name and I don't think he would be very welcome at any of our events.

I'm sorry. I was just hoping to get something useful and constructive out of this forum but my emotions and frustrations kind of killed it for me. Me = Ass. I guess I will talk with him about what I think. He just ruined it for me as far as open carry goes. I'll carry two times a month max now. I just go with my Derringer concealed for the most part now.

ep0k

I'm sorry. I was just hoping to get something useful and constructive out of this forum but my emotions and frustrations kind of killed it for me. Me = Ass. I guess I will talk with him about what I think. He just ruined it for me as far as open carry goes. I'll carry two times a month max now. I just go with my Derringer concealed for the most part now.

Apology accepted.

Perhaps the best thing you can do is OC more often and present the kind of positive image we need in this state. Undo some of the damage your buddy has done. It doesn't seem like you have any personal objection with OC'ing, just an issue with this individual.

I'd be willing to bet his behavior is a manifestation of some other issues in his life. It's just coming out in a certain way.

boyscout399

I do see your point. There is campus security there which will protect you for the most part. I have been victim of a violent crime. I was mugged and beat down bad in Portland. I almost died from it. If it wasn't for some lady cop walking her German Sheppard down the street I probably would have. It was the only time I've ever kissed a dog. haha. There is a reason why they don't allow carrying in certain areas. I 100% agree about being safe and prepared. Sometimes you just have to let things be what it is. I wear my seat belt. I have a tactical shotgun under my bed. I floss three times a day but I only brush my teeth twice. But......I don't own a radiation suit for the fear of nuclear war. However if you do own a radiation suit I stand 100% wrong and you are correct.

Campus security is NOT there to protect you. They are there to enforce campus rules and regulations. Police are NOT required to render aid to a person in distress and they are far too often to far away to provide you protection. So unless you backpack carry a police officer everywhere you go, you cannot count on them to be there when you need it. In Virginia Tech it took the police several minutes to arrive, giving Cho plenty of time to murder 18 people.

5 minute police response vs 1.5 second draw time. Which one do you feel is more effective?

ep0k

Campus security is NOT there to protect you. They are there to enforce campus rules and regulations. Police are NOT required to render aid to a person in distress and they are far too often to far away to provide you protection. So unless you backpack carry a police officer everywhere you go, you cannot count on them to be there when you need it. In Virginia Tech it took the police several minutes to arrive, giving Cho plenty of time to murder 18 people.

5 minute police response vs 1.5 second draw time. Which one do you feel is more effective?

Exactly. Law enforcement are ALWAYS minutes away when seconds count, even on a small campus.

Primary purpose of law enforcement is to investigate crimes and aid the prosecution after the fact, not to intervene in the middle of a violent crime.

While the better LEOs will attempt to do so if they happen to witness a crime in progress, they do not have a legal obligation.

And, seriously, this is campus PD. I've seen these guys. While I respect law enforcement and think they do an important job, most of the police I've had the pleasure of meeting would simply not be up to the task of dealing with anyone with a decent amount of combat-arms training. See for example Charles Whitman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

Last edited: