• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Didn't draw on wife's best friend

mahkagari

I was topping up the oil in my car yesterday while it was parked on the street. My wife and daughters were on the porch. My one neighbor was working on his truck parked behind my car. A late model car pulled up with blacked out windows that would scream "gangstermobile" in The Forbidden Land or Denver, kind of almost in front of mine at an angle. I went to high yellow, and thought the car might be positioning to back into one of the neighbor's spaces. The car stayed a second longer than it should have and I started moving to orange and felt suddenly very naked not to be CCing. I had to fight my arm not to reach to the back of my tshirt. A back window rolled down and I heard a woman's voice say, "Are you guys ready?" I couldn't see in the car with the sunlight outside because of how much the tint darkened the interior. I backed down a little being able to make out that it was a woman in her late '30s by herself and not a carful of more thuggish types, but only just. There are enough hangers that'd match that description, too.

She said her name, and then I realized who it was and what she was doing. She was asking if we were ready for my mil to come into town. She lives around the corner and was just saying "Hi", but I didn't recognize her car. I breathed a huge relief and looked over at my wife who came over to talk.

The situation gave me a HUGE list of questions and second-guessing. Should I feel the need to carry in my front yard in my small town? At what point would I have drawn if I had been carrying? Why did I give so much allowance that the person would be backing into parallel park when I knew my neigbor's truck was right behind my car? Why did I not check on my family's positions? Why did I not at least prepare to call them to cover? Have we drilled as a family for such a case?

My wife grew up in a country where drilling for approaching cadres of AK-47s was matter of course. As did the wife of my neighbour across the street. But that was a long time ago. How tuned is she anymore? If I were in the city, I'd would have gone to instant red. The car pulled up EXACTLY like it would if it was the worst situation. Came in as close as possible and blocked my escape forward, but still left room for it to pull out quickly. Before the window opened, it was too long to be just repositioning but too long if someone was pulling in for quick action. It's not like I'm the type to have roving bands looking for me, but who knows who I'll be mistaken for?

If I were carrying, it likely would have been my .357 in an IWB SOB holster. I wonder what my wife's reaction would have been if she saw me move behind the engine and uncover my weapon. How alert was she? Would she have taken cover with the girls? Did she recognize the car and would she have shouted at me to back down? Or would she have told me calmly? I trust my wife in an emergency not to dissolve into hysterics. She may not go Code Echo Echo Bravo like a SEAL or something, but at least she wouldn't stand there shrieking.

I would have been more alert and ready for more action if I were carrying (a psychological side benefit I've heard others report as well). I probably would have moved to the side of the car behind the engine block to stand my ground with my hand ready for my weapon as possible. But why didn't I do that anyhow? I'm pretty sure that it was because that moment passed where if bad things were to happen they would have happened. I didn't check on my family visually, because I had my attention basically glued to the car (though trying to appear as though I hadn't even noticed and continue with my bottle of oil). But I didn't put nearly enough aural attention for my taste to hear if they'd moved. I didn't approach the car and didn't have anything but an assertive face right up until my friend said her name. I actually think I didn't respond to her question for not wanting to engage in conversation lest it was a distraction.

I don't know what all those answers are, but I'm thankful for the opportunity to consider them.

Last edited:

Dynamite Rabbit

My first reaction after reading the title: "That's probably a good thing!" :)

Wow, lots to think about. I carry pretty much all the time -- in the house, outside in the yard...I guess I decided I'd make it a habit, and now it's second nature.

Last edited:

carguy

Something to think about

Its sad that we even have to think about such things. I oc all the time. In the house, in the yard, in the car, in the store. If someone cannot accept that it my right to do, I dont need to do business with them. I simply walk away and find new places to go. How often do we hear about home invasions? I have a 165 lb K9 trained German Shepard, who will die before he lets someone in my house, but he is only first line of defense. I may not have time to run for a weapon. Therefore it is on me all the time. Paranoid???????????????/ I dont think so.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've only once come close to drawing, and that day it was definately warranted, but events changed at the last moment. All other times (about ten) I'd thought of drawing, but had plenty of time to wait and see, and was relieved to learn there was no need.

Mahkagari - if you're thinking about it, but not doing it when it's not required, that's a good thing. :)

Last edited:

mahkagari

Mahkagari - if you're thinking about it, but not doing it when it's not required, that's a good thing. :)

Wouldn't say I was so much "thinking about it" so much as most of my post was "watching the game film" and thinking about why I did or didn't do things on reflex. Environmental awareness starts with self-awareness, IMO. :)

Last edited: