• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lake Sam shootout will bring calls for park gun bans

Dave Workman

L. Sammamish incident will bring calls for park gun bans

The weekend’s gun battle at Lake Sammamish State Park between what appear to be two rival groups – apparently with some gang members present – will bring calls for bans on guns in parks...

...Should guns be banned from state parks? That question will undoubtedly come up over the next few months. Gun rights advocates better be prepared to answer that with more than just a knee-jerk reference to the Second Amendment.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seat...h-incident-will-bring-calls-for-park-gun-bans

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2c8ldbv

69Charger

Ban GANGS in parks, not GUNS!!!
Dave

How many Gang bangers legally own hand guns any way?? Will a ban keep them out?
Why punish us good legal gun owners for things this trashy part of society do.
What a load of dung.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.94A.030

So..... what the gangs need to do is unionize, then they would be exempt!

If gangs commit crime why not catch them and put them in jail? Why does there need to be a law that criminalizes criminal behavior when committed as a group?

Dress a bunch of open carriers in matching shirts and carry in a preempted park against the wishes of a City that does not recognize preemption and they can be charged with being a gang.

deanf

How about we ban public parks? Then the private property owners are free to set their own rules.

The government shouldn't be in the business of providing recreation facilities to people.

kwikrnu

Banned
Why does there need to be a law that criminalizes criminal behavior when committed as a group?
You have to remember this is Washington. We have signs on Washington State Ferries and other public transportation that proudly declare, "Possession of illegal weapons is prohibited!"

We have silly "militia" laws in TN which prohibit two or more people from gathering. Kinda like gang laws.

amzbrady

Saddest thing is, one of them did have a CPL.... Bastards.

Question from Snip
Visitors can bring handguns into state parks if they have a concealed-weapons permit.... The Sheriff's Office has not said whether the two men killed or the others who were armed had legal permits.--Seattle Times

Does this mean that you can not open carry without a CPL?

Last edited:

lakewood226

Question from Snip
Visitors can bring handguns into state parks if they have a concealed-weapons permit.... The Sheriff's Office has not said whether the two men killed or the others who were armed had legal permits.--Seattle Times

Q13 Fox also said the same thing last night during their newscast and had me wondering the same thing.

o2ryan

Why does there need to be a law that criminalizes criminal behavior when committed as a group?

We have silly "militia" laws in TN which prohibit two or more people from gathering. Kinda like gang laws.

Hey kwikrnu, do they have holsters in TN? If your avatar is a picture of how you carry, then you should read this thread.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...y-shoots-himself-in-the-testicles-in-Lynnwood!

Just sayin.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Gangs can gather at parks.

Gangs can gather at parks. Gangs can gather at Westlake or Discovery Park or the Seattle Center. We all assume they gather in the Rainier Valley in the depths of the inner-city. Gangs can gather on Capital Hill.

These are all beautiful and diverse places within our region and big city. I love living in the Sound because of the inner locations within the city of Seattle. I went to the UW and love the city life. I grew up in the country and love the rural life. I love everything that the rural surrounding areas have to provide; the mountains, the beach, the desert in Eastern Washington and the Forests of the Olympic Peninsula.

I am also fully aware that there are gangs, thugs, criminals, crazy ex boyfriends, drug addicts, the mentally unstable in each and every one of these locations. But, I choose to not fear the active city and county life that poses risks. I will continue to frequent, Folk Life and the desert around Yakima. I will continue to frequent local parks and the vibrant personality of Capital Hill. And I will continue to take personal responsibility for my safety when partaking in any of these endeavors. I will continue to carry my firearm with me, openly and concealed....but mostly openly!

Dave, I hope this answers your rhetorical question concerning a gun advocates response to the shooting at Lake Sammamish. The officers response was swift and reasonable. Had two park rangers been right there at the scene, neither would of stopped the deaths. The gang would of either waited for an opportunity to continue their feud or they would of been victims as well. Had there been a police response large enough to delay, yes delay the shootings it would of needed to have been 40 or more SWAT officers. And just then it would of been delayed.:uhoh:

Just4protection

What is the definition of a gang?

A group consisting of 2 or more people, typically younger in age. Presumed poor since their hand-me-down clothing tends to be big and often falling off their waist. Members of this group usually favor a single color and wear only that color. Most have studied American Sign Language as you can often find them signing to others. Possibly clumsy as they appear to always be injured, walking with a limp.

Oh..... They're stupid too.

lakewood226

I believe it means that they misspoke.

Which means that they are spreading misinformation and that will only result in more MWAG calls for those who open carry in a park or at the very least more harassment

amlevin

Typical reaction. A shooting in a park results in calls for gun bans. Why not just ban everything that could be dangerous when used improperly, not only in parks, but everywhere. Start the list with knives, forks, anything else sharp, all chemicals that are toxic, drugs that have fatal capability, cars, trucks, vehicles that one could be struck by or fall off of. Add to the list any activity that could maim or kill. That would include swimming in parks too. Just about everything we own today can either become a lethal weapon or cause injury if misused.

Unless we want to be a "bubble wrapped" society we need to stop trying to ban everything that some people misuse. I would be interested to know how many of those who had guns in these two "partys" possessed them legally. I would also be interested in knowing how many LEGAL guns were present in the rest of the park.

44Brent

Failure to enforce immigration laws

INS Deporting Teens Convicted As Adults (so they claimed)

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19951107&slug=2151192

In King County, Yang "Baby Face" Keovongphet, 17, fired a semi-automatic weapon at rival gang members. One youth was struck in the back by gunfire. A month later, two youths installing a stereo in a car had to flee for cover as Keovongphet shot out the car's windows. If the INS is successful, he'll be returned to Laos when his sentence ends in early 1997.

So, one of the shooters was a convicted criminal that was supposed to be deported, but he was still running loose in the country 15 years later.

Last edited:

David.Car

Typical liberal sheeple tactic is to add another law to try and stop a group of people who are already breaking multiple laws...

Sometimes I just want to know how their brains function...

"Well... They broke 12 laws, however I think if we make one more they will stop, because although they are willing to break 12 laws, I don't think they are willing to break 13."

Pure... Genius...

Bob Warden

How about we ban public parks? Then the private property owners are free to set their own rules.

The government shouldn't be in the business of providing recreation facilities to people.
Great idea - let's make all property private! Then we might not be able to carry pistols ANYWHERE!

iampam

Question from Snip

You can open carry in Washington State Parks, as long as you are someone that can legally own a gun. It's generally not real popular with other park visitors though.

It was a poorly worded statement by the WA State Parks representative, but they were probably trying to keep it simple, and not freak out the public.

There is no hunting at any Washington State Park, some people get confused with all of the different types of parks/natural resource areas in the State.

I think there might be a few State Parks with old signs that say "No Firearms" for whatever reason, but that is not accurate.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Key word illegal

It never fails, almost every time I read about a gun being used one of the charges states "possession by a felon". But it seems like legal people like us on the forum catch the flak. Can't win for losing!