Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Flash Mob - Hampton Roads

Open Carry Flash Mob - Hampton Roads

I think that we need an injection of fun.

I want to have an open carry flash mob in Hampton Roads. This would allow us to get a political point across at a time and place of our choosing.

Flash mobs are somewhat pointless and that is the point. We would do something completely unrelated to firearms while open carrying. It is the same reason that the OC litter pick ups are so effective.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob

No proposed time or place yet, just an idea I had. Tell me what you think.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

What activity would you have in mind? Pillow fight like in the wiki? Bunch of OCers spread around an area with signs advertising free hugs?

Accoding to the MIAC report, and other more recent Fusion Center reports and DHS documents, "Flash Mobs" are now considered to be "potentially violent demonstrations", and the recommendation from the Feds to local LEAs is to treat them as such.

They are not illegal per se, but you might run the risk of a 'disturbing the peace" rap or "other police action"...

Be careful...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Accoding to the MIAC report, and other more recent Fusion Center reports and DHS documents, "Flash Mobs" are now considered to be "potentially violent demonstrations", and the recommendation from the Feds to local LEAs is to treat them as such.

They are not illegal per se, but you might run the risk of a 'disturbing the peace" rap or "other police action"...

Be careful...
    I need to look for it but I recall a statute forbidding more that a couple of people gathering for the purpose of rioting....something along that line.

It might be interesting if we all gathered to discuss Shakespeare.

You mean Anti Gun JBTs might not approve? No, say it aint so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

Be careful...
    I believe you Dreamer, but that is really absurd. Flash Mobs are an expression of our right to assemble.

I understand the JBT mentality (Sure you have the right, but why would you unless you want to make trouble)

Do you have a cite for that mentality?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Dreamer has a very valid point. I understand what you are going for but flash mobs have acquired a very negative connotation recently. The lack of control or even knowledge of the others who might turn up would make me think very carefully about such an idea! (And then I would run the other way. )

Just my .02.

John

Hamlet anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I need to look for it but I recall a statute forbidding more that a couple of people gathering for the purpose of rioting....something along that line.

It might be interesting if we all gathered to discuss Shakespeare.
    Ah yes, fifteen people gathered at the fountain in the Peninsula Town Center all quoting spouting lines from Hamlet. I can see it now.....

To be or not to be, that is the question...........

Maybe Monty Python

Twenty people on the boardwalk at the oceanfront all asking in a syncronized voice "What is your quest?"

As long as it isn't a reproduction of Hollywood's modern take on Romeo and Juliet.

Juggling anybody?

Maybe some activity that keeps our hands busy to ensure that our non aggressive nature is evident.

If we were all juggling during a festival at Town Point Park, what do you think Norfolk PD would do?

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    As long as it isn't a reproduction of Hollywood's modern take on Romeo and Juliet.

There we go, that is damn funny. This is the humor we need to make a fun, yet positive, event.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    what do you think Norfolk PD would do?
    Assume you were part of some sort of "guess the ball" type game and charge you with swindling/running a confidence game.
    Last edited by Curtis; 07-19-2010 at 05:19 PM.

I have an idea about a get together that would be fun, funny and productive.

I don't want to discuss it on the open board right now but I'll give it a little thought and send some PM's.

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    Dreamer has a very valid point. I understand what you are going for but flash mobs have acquired a very negative connotation recently. The lack of control or even knowledge of the others who might turn up would make me think very carefully about such an idea! (And then I would run the other way. )

Just my .02.

John
    Yeah, I understand the concern, but what is the real difference between this and one of the many OC Dinners that we always go to?

We can use the PM to only invite members we trust.

I just haven't seen the negative connotations for Flash Mobs. I mean they would exercise both our 1A and 2A rights....After all a right unexercised is a right lost.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Cool Some of Ed's Favorites

we'll need 3 pistols each

Maybe some activity that keeps our hands busy to ensure that our non aggressive nature is evident.

If we were all juggling during a festival at Town Point Park, what do you think Norfolk PD would do?
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 07-19-2010 at 07:09 PM.

HAHA I can only imagine this happening. People may be less likely to call if they see a bunch of you carrying. I don't see anything illegal with "flash mobs" as long as you don't obstruct a sidewalk, don't do it on a public street, don't trespass, etc. Just make sure you film it.

lol Ed those were great. I hadn't seen the last two.

Last Video

911 Dispatcher: 911 what's your emergency?

Best Buy Manager: There are all these people in my store!

911 Dispatcher: OK and what are they doing? Are they stealing things?

Best Buy Manager: No no.

911 Dispatcher: I see. What's the problem then?

Best Buy Manger: They're wearing blue polos and khakis

911 Dispatcher: Oh... uh we'll send an officer right out.

actually now that I think about it, I'd be interested in FOIAing that call hah
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by NovaCop10 View Post
    HAHA I can only imagine this happening. People may be less likely to call if they see a bunch of you carrying. I don't see anything illegal with "flash mobs" as long as you don't obstruct a sidewalk, don't do it on a public street, don't trespass, etc. Just make sure you film it.
    Why don't you join in and see it firsthand?

Why are you here, again?

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Why don't you join in and see it firsthand?

Why are you here, again?
    Schhhhhhhh!

It's a secret.

Twenty people on the boardwalk at the oceanfront all asking in a syncronized voice "What is your quest?"
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

Having just re-watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail last week, I can't wait to see a bunch of OCers do this. Someone has to video it, and post it on YouTube...

Or walking down the boardwalk, etc.. reciting the constitution. That would make a funny You Tube video arrest.

what were they doing?

They were walking down the boardwalk with GUNS on their hips reciting the Constitution!

why did you arrest them?

people didn't like it one bit, so I arrested them for disturbing the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    I understand what John and Dreamer are saying.. I would never want to do anything that would put gun owners in a negative light. (like the best buy thing with OC might have made best buy ban gun owners from carrying... or something like that.. the freeze in place disrupted the cart driver, etc.) But maybe an Open Carry Kite Flying day at a popular park, maybe a SEGWAY tour while OC (Segways always draw stares anyway.. so it might be odd seeing a bunch of OC'ers on Segways). I might be game for something depending on what it is.. and/or I may think up my own creation (beyond the litter pick-up) for somethign fun up in Northern VA. Keep the ideas coming.

The Improv Everywhere Best Buy stunt turned me off to them pretty much forever. It's one thing to do this in a public area where you aren't interfering with anyone, it's quite another to gather 150 people to go into someone's store and disrupt it. This is the kind of thing that folks think is funny until it's your business that gets disrupted. I try to have respect for other people's property, as I expect them to do the same.

Balloon puppets for free? Free hot air balloons? the hugs idea was pretty funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast