• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Flash Mob - Hampton Roads

Thundar

I think that we need an injection of fun.

I want to have an open carry flash mob in Hampton Roads. This would allow us to get a political point across at a time and place of our choosing.

Flash mobs are somewhat pointless and that is the point. We would do something completely unrelated to firearms while open carrying. It is the same reason that the OC litter pick ups are so effective.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob

No proposed time or place yet, just an idea I had. Tell me what you think.

curtiswr

What activity would you have in mind? Pillow fight like in the wiki? Bunch of OCers spread around an area with signs advertising free hugs? :lol:

Dreamer

Accoding to the MIAC report, and other more recent Fusion Center reports and DHS documents, "Flash Mobs" are now considered to be "potentially violent demonstrations", and the recommendation from the Feds to local LEAs is to treat them as such.

They are not illegal per se, but you might run the risk of a 'disturbing the peace" rap or "other police action"...

Be careful...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Accoding to the MIAC report, and other more recent Fusion Center reports and DHS documents, "Flash Mobs" are now considered to be "potentially violent demonstrations", and the recommendation from the Feds to local LEAs is to treat them as such.

They are not illegal per se, but you might run the risk of a 'disturbing the peace" rap or "other police action"...

Be careful...

I need to look for it but I recall a statute forbidding more that a couple of people gathering for the purpose of rioting....something along that line.

It might be interesting if we all gathered to discuss Shakespeare.

Thundar

You mean Anti Gun JBTs might not approve? No, say it aint so.

Be careful...

I believe you Dreamer, but that is really absurd. Flash Mobs are an expression of our right to assemble.

I understand the JBT mentality (Sure you have the right, but why would you unless you want to make trouble)

Do you have a cite for that mentality?

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Dreamer has a very valid point. I understand what you are going for but flash mobs have acquired a very negative connotation recently. The lack of control or even knowledge of the others who might turn up would make me think very carefully about such an idea! (And then I would run the other way. :) )

Just my .02.

John

Thundar

Hamlet anyone?

I need to look for it but I recall a statute forbidding more that a couple of people gathering for the purpose of rioting....something along that line.

It might be interesting if we all gathered to discuss Shakespeare.

Ah yes, fifteen people gathered at the fountain in the Peninsula Town Center all quoting spouting lines from Hamlet. I can see it now.....

To be or not to be, that is the question...........

curtiswr

As long as it isn't a reproduction of Hollywood's modern take on Romeo and Juliet.

William_shakespeares_romeo_and_juliet_movie_poster.jpg

Thundar

Juggling anybody?

Maybe some activity that keeps our hands busy to ensure that our non aggressive nature is evident.

If we were all juggling during a festival at Town Point Park, what do you think Norfolk PD would do?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have an idea about a get together that would be fun, funny and productive.

I don't want to discuss it on the open board right now but I'll give it a little thought and send some PM's.

Thundar

Dreamer has a very valid point. I understand what you are going for but flash mobs have acquired a very negative connotation recently. The lack of control or even knowledge of the others who might turn up would make me think very carefully about such an idea! (And then I would run the other way. :) )

Just my .02.

John

Yeah, I understand the concern, but what is the real difference between this and one of the many OC Dinners that we always go to?

We can use the PM to only invite members we trust.

I just haven't seen the negative connotations for Flash Mobs. I mean they would exercise both our 1A and 2A rights....After all a right unexercised is a right lost.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Some of Ed's Favorites

[video=youtube;jwMj3PJDxuo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwMj3PJDxuo[/video]
[video=youtube;jdeBp8J0rqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdeBp8J0rqs[/video]
[video=youtube;utkkXCF8ZVc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utkkXCF8ZVc[/video]

NovaCop

HAHA I can only imagine this happening. People may be less likely to call if they see a bunch of you carrying. I don't see anything illegal with "flash mobs" as long as you don't obstruct a sidewalk, don't do it on a public street, don't trespass, etc. Just make sure you film it.

t33j

lol Ed those were great. I hadn't seen the last two.

Last Video

911 Dispatcher: 911 what's your emergency?

Best Buy Manager: There are all these people in my store!

911 Dispatcher: OK and what are they doing? Are they stealing things?

Best Buy Manager: No no.

911 Dispatcher: I see. What's the problem then?

Best Buy Manger: They're wearing blue polos and khakis

911 Dispatcher: Oh... uh we'll send an officer right out.

actually now that I think about it, I'd be interested in FOIAing that call hah

curtiswr

HAHA I can only imagine this happening. People may be less likely to call if they see a bunch of you carrying. I don't see anything illegal with "flash mobs" as long as you don't obstruct a sidewalk, don't do it on a public street, don't trespass, etc. Just make sure you film it.

Why don't you join in and see it firsthand?

Why are you here, again?