Thread: Virginians' safety during interstate travel; 24/7 verification req.

Virginians' safety during interstate travel; 24/7 verification req.

Has there ever been an attempt to repeal 18.2-308(P)(i) to remove the requirement for a 24/7 instant verification system prior to reciprocity or mere recognition of another state's permit? I haven't found any real discussion of this topic on the site (using search).

I'd bet the law-enforcement lobby would be against it, but it appears to be a common hindrance of concealed handgun permit reciprocity or recognition of the Virginia CHP by other states. Cases in point: Alabama, Georgia, Colorado, and perhaps more. I can't find any other reason for Virginia to refuse to recognize permits from these states; if I recall correctly, those states will also recognize permits from any state that recognizes their permit.

By the way, this is related to OC as Alabama requires a permit to carry in a vehicle, Georgia requires a license for any form of carry except in a glove-box in a vehicle, Colorado has incomplete preemption and, to the best of my knowledge, those states do not issue permits to non-residents.

State Researcher
    In 2007, HB 2235 passed the House of Delegates 80-19 but failed in the Senate Courts of Justice Committee. I could find no subsequent versions of this bill.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Or go with the more generic 'we will recognize any permit' that several states have gone to.

Only up the ante by stating 'we will recognize the state constitutional right to carry without a permit for residents of those states.'
    Last edited by paramedic70002; 07-20-2010 at 09:14 AM.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Didn't I also read that some states refuse to recognize VA's CHP because they are issued by counties and not a centralized state authority?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock27Bill View Post
    Didn't I also read that some states refuse to recognize VA's CHP because they are issued by counties and not a centralized state authority?
    I don't know. Can you name one of the states or where you read that?

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock27Bill View Post
    There are no states where that is now the case. Wyoming had such a law before 2001, but amended it to recognize any statewide permits regardless of the issuing agency.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA