• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

camp Dearborn

Pouget

In a perfect scenario, you are walking all alone down the street completely innocent, cop walks up and requests ID I can legally deny him.

Question is, if I'm at Camp Dearborn, which is owned by the city and patrolled by Oakland County Sheriffs, exactly what are the rules. I'm pretty sure same thing applies. However, what if they get a call about our tents being too loud late at night, and walk up, se my gun, and request ID . Am I required to show them because now they are there for an actual reason and not just a MWAG call??

Michigander

They may be able to kick you out of the place if you are violating certain rules, but there is no obligation to show ID in Michigan except for a select few professions requiring state licenses, as well as when driving or carrying concealed and/or in a car when stopped by the police.

If they want your ID bad enough, it doesn't matter if you consent, they can take it legally with reasonable articulateable suspicion, or a warrant. Without it, they can also take it without your consent, but would then be susceptible to law suits and criminal prosecution because of a slew of laws preventing and punishing police abuse.

Pouget

If they have reasonable suspicion and they were at my camp site for the noise violation, it would also have to involve "shots fired" or something of that nature or else if they are only there for loud noise I have no reason to show ID correct?

sasha601

And, if you covertly record the encounter with video and/or audio recorder, any abuse, including BS reasonable suspicion would make these officers and their police departments vulnerable to a civil law suit. Do not be shy recording each and every encounter with police. The state of law enforcement in this country is decaying in the sense that LEOs more and more neglect their duty to protect the Constitution which, eventually means neglecting to protect our Civil Rights. It is healthy to expose bad cops every time we get a chance.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
If they have reasonable suspicion and they were at my camp site for the noise violation, it would also have to involve "shots fired" or something of that nature or else if they are only there for loud noise I have no reason to show ID correct?
YOU DO NOT have to show ID at all, nor do you have to answer any questions posed by a LEO PERIOD.

You only have to have a DL if driving and stopped for a lawful reason or if carrying a concealed gun under a CPL and you can still remain silent except to disclose you are carrying concealed. At no other time do you have to speak to a LEO or give ID.

Michigan is not a stop and ID state....yet!

PDinDetroit

YOU DO NOT have to show ID at all, nor do you have to answer any questions posed by a LEO PERIOD.

You only have to have a DL if driving and stopped for a lawful reason or if carrying a concealed gun under a CPL and you can still remain silent except to disclose you are carrying concealed. At no other time do you have to speak to a LEO or give ID.

Michigan is not a stop and ID state....yet!

I hope that MI never gets to be a "Stop and ID" state. I believe it allows harassment and intimidation of persons by LEOs.

Michigander

We have enough illegal harassment as it is. I'll move out of state if that happens. Thinking about it anyway.

Sounds like a good idea to me. There are too many states with 10th amendment sovereignty laws now that are better for freedom lovers than Michigan, particularly for those who's incomes do not rely on a specific location. The best things that Michigan "pro gun" politicians at the second amendment march could suggest were leave your gun in your trunk at work laws, and eliminating CEZ's. Only by eliminating the need for licensing, and rendering the NFA nearly meaningless can you judge a state to be pro gun these days. Arizona's measure of requiring confiscated guns to be auctioned I hope will also catch on among other states, but I have next to no hopes for Michigan following suit in a time frame I'd stick it out for.

Pouget

One more thing came to mind on this subject.

If I am drinking while in a situation like this, am I allowed to have my gun? My friend is the one who rented the tent/space for the week so does that mean it becomes like a house and it's "our" property? If I have a dedicated cot I sleep on every night, what if I just have my weapon stored under the bed and not on me?

This is not me asking if I can be hammered with my gun. More or less just trying to figure out the law and if I could keep the gun in the tent while I'm there.