• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this fourm Totalitarian ?

oneeyeross

I am confused. Does anyone posting on a public forum NOT know that there are rules and ToS that apply, and that admin/mods can and will pull the plug?

I know, I know...I'm trying to be logical again...sorry..

Bersa.380

I am confused. Does anyone posting on a public forum NOT know that there are rules and ToS that apply, and that admin/mods can and will pull the plug?

I know, I know...I'm trying to be logical again...sorry..

I think you're missing the point here .. .. ..

Did you mean to say: anyone posting on a private forum is subject to a bunch of rules ? I'd say at OCDO the answer would be "YES" in that regard it's private. On the other hand OCDO can be viewed by anyone therefore it is public. Example: there are hundreds of gun forums to view and I can come and go as I please .... does that make them private ??? Also, a good friend of mine got banned from a gun forum because he joined a debate regarding 1911's and disagreed with there view's and thought there are better options, at first he was warned to not create so much disturbance because people were getting upset.

Last edited:

Tomas

*sigh*

I think you're missing the point here .. .. ..

Did you mean to say: anyone posting on a private forum is subject to a bunch of rules ? I'd say at OCDO the answer would be "YES" in that regard it's private. On the other hand OCDO can be viewed by anyone therefore it is public. Example: there are hundreds of gun forums to view and I can come and go as I please .... does that make them private ??? Also, a good friend of mine got banned from a gun forum because he joined a debate regarding 1911's and disagreed with there view's and thought there are better options, at first he was warned to not create so much disturbance because people were getting upset.

Bersa, your home is private, and "your roof, your rules" as my father used to say, but since I can see it when I walk by, does that mean it is "public" and I can do anything I want? You know that's BS.

I doubt very much if you would appreciate some tagger with his rattle can of spray paint writing on the side of your place just because he can see it from the street or sidewalk, and he thinks it is therefore "public."

On the Internet:

Private in this sense means owned by an individual or company, public means held for all of us by the government.

This site is a private site. The person who owns it - pays the bills - gets to set all the rules, including being magnanimous enough to allow those who are not members to read what we have written, because he believes it strengthens our positive impact on society.

At no time by letting others read what we as members have written does this site become a publicly owned site, it only becomes publicly visible. (Just as you home is not publicly owned, but is only publicly visible.)

The general public is also not allowed to write here - to write here you must agree to follow the rules and become a member. Therein lies the rub: In order to post your first word here you agreed to, PROMISED to, follow whatever rules the owner decided to make. If for ANY reason you do not like the rules, your only choice is to either follow them anyway or leave. There are no other choices guaranteed to you.

John is nice enough to listen to you even though he does not have to. He is allowing you to challenge his unquestioned ownership of this site in order to help you understand that if he owns it, pays the bills, it is his, and he makes the rules.

The simplest bottom line, though, is this: In order to post here you made a promise to follow whatever rules John put in place. Your duty as an honorable person is to keep that promise. It was not coerced, you were not forced to make it, you chose to make that promise in order to post on John's site. If you do not like John's rules, you may either chose to follow them anyway or leave.

Last edited: