Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Off Topic: public shooting areas near Port Huron

  1. #1
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Off Topic: public shooting areas near Port Huron

    I want to start taking my nephew and niece shooting. They live in Port Huron and I was wondering if anybody knows of state land or another public shooting spot in the area where I could take them.

    Thanks,

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  2. #2
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I want to start taking my nephew and niece shooting. They live in Port Huron and I was wondering if anybody knows of state land or another public shooting spot in the area where I could take them.

    Thanks,

    Bronson
    The Lapeer Gravel Pit would be just about 1 hour away, great place to go shoot as it is free and no "range nazi's" to deal with. It is part of the Lapeer State Game Area, and target practice is allowed year-round.

    I-69 West to Lapeer Road (M-24)
    M-24 North to Daley Road (about 3 miles North of Lapeer)
    Daley Road East to Roods Lake Road (about 2 miles)
    Roods Lake Road North, 1/2 mile into the dirt road portion, parking and range on right (about 1.5 miles)

    Pictures or it didn't happen!

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Its called The Pit. unofficially. Some days the place friggin rocks. Autos cannons, mortars, .50s who knows.



  4. #4
    Regular Member malignity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,101
    I don't know any free places, but I'd check out the Blue Water Sportsman's Association. They're like $165 for 18 months of membership.

    This is DIRT cheap. Detroit Sportsmans congress is 2.5x more expensive.

    If you think about it, $165 for 18 months that you can basically go whenever for as long as you want, you're saving a ton of cash over going to any indoor range.

    Personally I love BWSA. I go there twice a month, being that a good friend of mine has a membership. Never had a problem.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Marysville, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    44
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Port...v=INTERSECTION

    There's a state game area right at this intersection called Hewitt's Gravel Pit. Bit of a hike up and down a hill, but its been a favorite area of mine for some time.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Thanks guys.

    The Pit in Lapeer is too far away and I think I'll pass on BWSA. They cost too much and I don't think it's worth it to buy a membership at a gun club across the state when I'll probably only go there a couple times a year...especially when my membership to the Kalamazoo Rod & Gun Club only costs me $50 a year.

    Hewitt's gravel pit sounds like it might fit the bill. Hopefully I can check it out later this year.

    Thanks again.

    Bronson
    Last edited by Bronson; 07-20-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    I don't know any free places, but I'd check out the Blue Water Sportsman's Association. They're like $165 for 18 months of membership.

    This is DIRT cheap. Detroit Sportsmans congress is 2.5x more expensive.

    If you think about it, $165 for 18 months that you can basically go whenever for as long as you want, you're saving a ton of cash over going to any indoor range.

    Personally I love BWSA. I go there twice a month, being that a good friend of mine has a membership. Never had a problem.
    my membership at pine river sportsmans club in st clair twp only costs me $60 a year and i have a key to the gate. i can shoot there anytime there's not an official event. a member can bring a guest with them for free.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  8. #8
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    my membership at pine river sportsmans club in st clair twp only costs me $60 a year and i have a key to the gate. i can shoot there anytime there's not an official event. a member can bring a guest with them for free.
    Kalamazoo Rod & Gun is similar. We get a key card and can shoot anytime we want for as long as we want until dusk. There are no range officers and they've recently added a decicated pistol range for special events so, with the exceptions of maintenance or very bad weather, the regular pistol ranges are rarely closed.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •