• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off Topic: public shooting areas near Port Huron

Bronson

I want to start taking my nephew and niece shooting. They live in Port Huron and I was wondering if anybody knows of state land or another public shooting spot in the area where I could take them.

Thanks,

Bronson

PDinDetroit

I want to start taking my nephew and niece shooting. They live in Port Huron and I was wondering if anybody knows of state land or another public shooting spot in the area where I could take them.

Thanks,

Bronson

The Lapeer Gravel Pit would be just about 1 hour away, great place to go shoot as it is free and no "range nazi's" to deal with. It is part of the Lapeer State Game Area, and target practice is allowed year-round.

I-69 West to Lapeer Road (M-24)
M-24 North to Daley Road (about 3 miles North of Lapeer)
Daley Road East to Roods Lake Road (about 2 miles)
Roods Lake Road North, 1/2 mile into the dirt road portion, parking and range on right (about 1.5 miles)

Pictures or it didn't happen!

stainless1911

Banned
Its called The Pit. unofficially. Some days the place friggin rocks.:dude: Autos cannons, mortars, .50s who knows.
PICT0086.jpg

PICT0085.jpg

PICT0081.jpg

malignity

I don't know any free places, but I'd check out the Blue Water Sportsman's Association. They're like $165 for 18 months of membership.

This is DIRT cheap. Detroit Sportsmans congress is 2.5x more expensive.

If you think about it, $165 for 18 months that you can basically go whenever for as long as you want, you're saving a ton of cash over going to any indoor range.

Personally I love BWSA. I go there twice a month, being that a good friend of mine has a membership. Never had a problem.

Bronson

Thanks guys.

The Pit in Lapeer is too far away and I think I'll pass on BWSA. They cost too much and I don't think it's worth it to buy a membership at a gun club across the state when I'll probably only go there a couple times a year...especially when my membership to the Kalamazoo Rod & Gun Club only costs me $50 a year.

Hewitt's gravel pit sounds like it might fit the bill. Hopefully I can check it out later this year.

Thanks again.

Bronson

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I don't know any free places, but I'd check out the Blue Water Sportsman's Association. They're like $165 for 18 months of membership.

This is DIRT cheap. Detroit Sportsmans congress is 2.5x more expensive.

If you think about it, $165 for 18 months that you can basically go whenever for as long as you want, you're saving a ton of cash over going to any indoor range.

Personally I love BWSA. I go there twice a month, being that a good friend of mine has a membership. Never had a problem.

my membership at pine river sportsmans club in st clair twp only costs me $60 a year and i have a key to the gate. i can shoot there anytime there's not an official event. a member can bring a guest with them for free.

Bronson

my membership at pine river sportsmans club in st clair twp only costs me $60 a year and i have a key to the gate. i can shoot there anytime there's not an official event. a member can bring a guest with them for free.

Kalamazoo Rod & Gun is similar. We get a key card and can shoot anytime we want for as long as we want until dusk. There are no range officers and they've recently added a decicated pistol range for special events so, with the exceptions of maintenance or very bad weather, the regular pistol ranges are rarely closed.

Bronson