• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Front sites Dr. Piazza thoughts on the Costco permit holder.

28kfps

Front sites Dr. Piazza thoughts to the Costco permit holder.
Monday, July 19, 2010 from Dr. Ignatius Piazza
Dear ***,
One of the great benefits of having trained hundreds of thousands of students from all across the country is that when something happens, there is usually a Front Sight trained student in the area of the incident, who can give us a better account of the situation than the media.
This week I have a letter from a Front Sight student who shops regularly at the Costco store where a concealed carry permit holder was recently shot by police.
The point of this blog is not to cast any opinion negatively or positively on the police or the CCW holder in this tragic incident, but rather emphasize that when you carry a concealed weapon, there are two, very basic, yet extremely important rules you must follow:
1. Concealed Carry means KEEP YOUR GUN CONCEALED. If you do not keep the gun concealed and mistakenly allows the general public to get a glimpse of your gun, don't be surprised if the police are called about a "man with a gun." This is not a good situation. Bad things can happen as a result of poor management of a gun that is supposed to be concealed.
2. When carrying a concealed handgun, YOU MUST BE A MODEL CITIZEN. You can not afford situations in which you might lose your temper and speak or act in a less than model citizen manner. You must always carry yourself in a calm, cool, and collected demeanor when you are armed. Unless confronted with immediate danger of death or serious bodily injury, when carrying a concealed weapon there is no room words or actions that would cause other people to call the police. You have a choice when it comes to your concealed carry training, and I've dedicated my life to helping you make the right choice!
Dr. Ignatius Piazza

One of the issues I see with this is if Piazza and other sources would help get the word out that open carry is legal in Nevada along with neighboring states the public would not be so surprised when seeing a legal carried firearm.
Does it appear that he is leading to the possibility of getting a letter from one of his students that was there?

Vegassteve

One of the issues I see with this is if Piazza and other sources would help get the word out that open carry is legal in Nevada along with neighboring states the public would not be so surprised when seeing a legal carried firearm.

If he did that he and others would lose cash giving CCW classes. Cant have that now can we?

Nevada carrier

Keep your gun out of sight? I want mine right out where everyone can see it. This way a criminal can make a more informed decision when choosing his next victim. You see if a criminal ambushes you, chances are that we will be so far behind the curve that a concealed carry permit holder will never have the opportunity to draw and fire. If a criminal can tell that I am armed, he's far less likely to choose another target rather than to take a chance that I'll be able to get a shot off in his direction.

Another reason for open carry is that it gives people the impression that I have nothing to hide. If someone sees a firearm that was intended to be hidden, now they have to wonder, why does the person carrying it think they need to hide it? are they not supposed to have a firearm? are they planning a surprise attack? Certainly a man with one out in plain sight wouldn't be a criminal nor would they planning anything untoward.

I do agree that we must be a model of citizenship when armed. You can't loose your cool, get upset or do anything that gives any impression that we don't have it all together. Only bad things can happen if we loose control. This does not excuse bad cops for taking a life out of a fear based on a prejudice rather than a real threat.

Last edited:

Pistol Pete Utah

My thoughts

If you are asked to leave a private business because of your gun do so right away, don't wait! Take the gun to your car. If the police confront you, follow instructions but never, never, never, put your hands down, or touch your gun in any manner.

Nevada carrier

If you are asked to leave a private business because of your gun do so right away, don't wait! Take the gun to your car. If the police confront you, follow instructions but never, never, never, put your hands down, or touch your gun in any manner.

I agree with this. If the police confront you while you are armed and wish that you be disarmed, insist that they be the one to remove your firearm from the holster. If another unit arrives on the scene and sees you with your hand on a firearm he may shoot you for fear that you are about to draw on an officer. Argue about your fourth amendment rights in court, not at the scene.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Who cares what that douchebag chiropractor thinks. He can shove his "wisdom" where the sun don't shine.

No matter how hard he tries, he can't be Colonel Cooper.

However, in this case, his advice is pretty much on target.

People can't freak about a weapon they don't know about.

Cops are less likely to shoot if you don't do anything to make them think they should.

I would add that the more we openly carry, the more people will get used to seeing guns and not freaking out.