• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question from a possible future Cali OCer...

hightecrebel

Hey everyone,

I've read through the laws posted on the main page, and through here, and a little bit of stuff on Calguns. There is a sizeable possibility I may end up based in Cali at some point in the next year so I want to bone up on the laws there. So far what I've learned is:

1. Unloaded OC in the vast majority of Cali
2. Large numbers of police don't respect the right to OC, much like the rest of the country
3. Open carry is not socially accepted by the majority of state residents

Is this more or less correct? And where else should I go to try and learn more about carrying in Cali?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Hey everyone,

I've read through the laws posted on the main page, and through here, and a little bit of stuff on Calguns. There is a sizeable possibility I may end up based in Cali at some point in the next year so I want to bone up on the laws there. So far what I've learned is:

1. Unloaded OC in the vast majority of Cali
2. Large numbers of police don't respect the right to OC, much like the rest of the country
3. Open carry is not socially accepted by the majority of state residents

Is this more or less correct? And where else should I go to try and learn more about carrying in Cali?

I dont think this is completely accurate.

1. California is not dominated by incorporated city limits and prohibited areas, and therefore (geographically speaking) most of the state is loaded open carry territory.
2. Large numbers of metropolitan police do not respect armed citizenry, but many have shown that they are educating their officers. There may be individual officers who will take it upon themselves to discourage OC as well.
3. Open Carry is not as accepted in the metropolitan areas. In spite of this, OC isnt a guarantee of a 911 call or does it ensure that there will be a police encounter. Most people mind their own damn business like they ought to.

See CaliforniaOpenCarry.org for more information.

Iopencarry

we can help more if we knew what part of CA you will get stationed to. While it shouldn't, it does make a difference.
IE: the Bay Area- Contra Costa county, Alameda county, San Jose, are all pretty easy to oc in. We have done a very good jod educating the police and puplic.