Thread: What are Oregon laws for videotaping (public/law officers)?

Campaign Veteran

What are Oregon laws for videotaping (public/law officers)?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

this article was from a year ago. if i am not mistaking the courts have already ruled that the police have no expectation of privacy on the job. i think you can also record them in a public building as long as they are on duty.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    this article was from a year ago. if i am not mistaking the courts have already ruled that the police have no expectation of privacy on the job. i think you can also record them in a public building as long as they are on duty.
    Unfortunately, I didn't find a later cite either, though I tend to remember the same thing.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Until this issue makes it to SCOTUS it is unlikely that the current environment will change. And making it to SCOTUS is unlikely as the "system" will back off prior to that point in order to retain their ability to intimidate, coerce, and otherwise manipulate the citizenry.

This is a stereotypical example of tyranny.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

I think if you watch my videos of recording public servants and people, you will get the idea that you can legally video and audio record anyone. Just remember to state that you are audio recording.

Here is the law on Audio recording (There is no law against video recording, beside for some sex under age and others). ORS-165.540:

165.540 Obtaining contents of communications. (1) Except as otherwise provided in ORS 133.724 or 133.726 or subsections (2) to (7) of this section, a person may not:

(c) Obtain or attempt to obtain the whole or any part of a conversation by means of any device, contrivance, machine or apparatus, whether electrical, mechanical, manual or otherwise, if not all participants in the conversation are specifically informed that their conversation is being obtained.