Thread: Can you OC on a beach?

Can you OC on a beach?

Can you OC on a beach? what are the laws for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Colt 1911 View Post
    Can you OC on a beach? what are the laws for this?
    If it's a public beach, yes you can OC. There are no "laws on this - OC is the default method because CC is illegal unless you have a permission slip.

The question is, are you going to take precautions to protect the handgun? Use the search function - we went over this recently. Do NOT ask about nudist camps - just trust me on that, OK?

stay safe.

wipe it down with rem oil? clean it at home? not go in the water? thats how to keep it safe.

Thank you.

I notice at one beach it said no dogs/skating but never seen a no gun sign.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Can you OC on a beach?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Seuss
    Can you OC in a Bar? can you OC in a car? Can you OC on tha Sand? Can you OC throughout the land?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    never seen a no gun sign.
    if it did on a public beach, the sign would be in violation of the law

Let me throw the proverbial wrench in the works. Places that have beaches also include state parks like Lake Anna. Their rules read gun carry illegal except for permit holders. That would work for me in itself if I had one in my jet ski or boat. Now if there was one in a closed container, which is now law that a non concealed permit holder can do, and someone that did not have a permit like my wife took a drive, how would that work? I am assuming it would be breaking of the park rules, but what jurisdiction does the rest of the lake have, or where in the water does park property end?

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

Knowing the legal jurisdiction you are going to be in is important. Carry in State Parks, as noted, is only CC with CHP. Carry on the water may place you under the jurisdiction of some other agency (Corps of Engineers, Game & Inland Fisheries, Wildlife Management Area, State of Maryland) as has been noted in other threads related to specific places.

AFAIK and without bothering to actually look it up (see warning above) the waters of the lake are divided into public and private (owned by Vepco), while the earth is either private or State Park (except for the zone around the power plant, which is a restricted area with its own peculiar rules & regulations, along with Vepco's own rules.)

Go do your due diligence homework, and mark your maps accordingly.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kennys View Post
    Let me throw the proverbial wrench in the works. Places that have beaches also include state parks like Lake Anna. Their rules read gun carry illegal except for permit holders. That would work for me in itself if I had one in my jet ski or boat. Now if there was one in a closed container, which is now law that a non concealed permit holder can do, and someone that did not have a permit like my wife took a drive, how would that work? I am assuming it would be breaking of the park rules, but what jurisdiction does the rest of the lake have, or where in the water does park property end?
    That's a good point and a common problem.
    I do not have a CHP and if I feel the need to carry at one of those locations, I just stick a flare gun in my pack.
    Under those conditions, it is considered a signal device, not a weapon.

Pencil flares are even more convenient although they don't burn as big a hole. I have several on my mountain bike.

Quote Originally Posted by kennys View Post
    Let me throw the proverbial wrench in the works. Places that have beaches also include state parks like Lake Anna.
    First Landing (Seashore State) Park is another.

The real clincher there is that if you stroll too far east you actually enter upon Federal property (Fort Story) and then you're violating a whole new slew of regulations.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.