• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ann Arbor ( total Art Fair )

LaVere

I'm going to the AA art fair. If I open carry will I have any problems there. Other than the normal gun free zones. Churches, School class rooms et al ? Almost everything at the Fair is in the streets or sidewalks.

lapeer20m

one problem with ann arbor is the difficulty one may have staying off from U of M property. Apparently they own properties all over the city many of which are not labeled as university owned, but firearms are still off limits there.

Sefner

Lapeer is right. I go to U of M and I do not even CC when I go there (not even in the car), and I drive way around if I am driving through. Do. Not. Carry. There.

As been discussed before, the MI Constitution gives U of M Reagents a special consideration when it comes to ordinance and law enforcement. U of M has their own police force, jail, and prosecution team. One of the ordinances that the Reagents have passed is that no firearm is allowed on "any property owned" by the Board of Reagents... so any firearm is a jailable offense if you are caught on school property, which is not only almost all of Ann Arbor, but various satellite offices throughout the city, etc etc... and I do not know how sidewalks work... Either way, forget for one second, take a step off the sidewalk and onto the grass, and the 4 LEOs that have been waiting for you to make that mistake rush you, take away your CPL forever, and you spend two months in jail. Of course this would become a test case for McDonald (I'd hope at least) but still, not worth in IMO. Here is the applicable law:

Section 1. Scope of Article X. Article X applies to all property owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by the Regents of the University of Michigan and applies regardless of whether the individual has a concealed weapons permit or is otherwise authorized by law to possess, discharge or use any device referenced below.

Section 2. Possession of Firearms, Dangerous Weapons and Knives. Except as otherwise provided in Section 4, no person shall while on any property owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by the Regents of the University of Michigan: (1) possess any firearm or any other dangerous weapons as defined in or interpreted under Michigan law or (2) wear on his or her person or carry in his or her clothing any knife, sword or machete having a blade longer than four (4) inches, or, in the case of a knife with a mechanism to lock the blade in place when open, longer than three (3) inches.

http://www.umd.umich.edu/317101/

And from the U of M DPS:

Am I allowed to have a firearm on campus for hunting or protection purposes? Will the university police store a firearm for me?

No. The University's Standard Practice Guide and the Regents' Ordinance prohibits the possession of firearms on campus except in very rare cases. Individuals found violating this policy and law and are subject to arrest and/or other University sanctions

http://police.umich.edu/?s=faq#3ans

EDIT: I found a picture of U of M's property... it's old, dated January of 2009, so it has definitely changed. You can see the oddness and the sprawl that is U of M's owned properties.

011109umproperty.png

Last edited: