• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc survival thread. Be ready for natural & man made disasters

M

McX

well glock, i'll be 'breakin' for you on channel 35 when i got zombies lying at my feet. heh-heh.

Wastelander

What about a bicycle? Since this list is for bug-in or BOL supplies, I think a bike would be very useful because you have to feed horses and put gas in vehicles, but the only fuel you need for a bicycle is the same stuff you need to live anyway. Yes, it burns more calories than riding an animal or motor vehicle, and you can make biodiesel or convert trucks to run on wood gassifiers, but I think a bicycle is a good long-term method of transportation if you don't have to carry much beyond a pack and saddlebags.

M

McX

got a few bikes hanging here and there. i'll stay put, fresh water is less than 1000 ft. away, food might be a problem, but i do have neighbors heh-heh. moving makes one a target. i'd rather stand and defend.

merc460

don't know if anyone knows...

They may be way to expensive to purchase, if they even make them for personal use, but concerning water storage for a good length of time, anything that is silver lined will purify water and keep it that way for extended periods. I guess the tablets would be the most economical way to go though.

M

McX

agreed merc. i got the tablets too. but i got the big lake- michigan- just a bit away, based on the theory that whatever is after whatever doesn't take up in the water. but still abandon cars equals free gas, free battery, and maybe a nice spare tire.

merc460

agreed merc. i got the tablets too. but i got the big lake- michigan- just a bit away, based on the theory that whatever is after whatever doesn't take up in the water. but still abandon cars equals free gas, free battery, and maybe a nice spare tire.

Since you are that close to Lake Michigan, one of those large ships would have a Silver lined tank in it for water storage. ;) (as would some airplanes for those close to large airports)

Last edited:
M

McX

based on the theory i'm going to swim out to it?!

just yanked this from yahoo headlines, all i can add is yeah, let's do it.

NKorea threatens 'nuclear deterrence' over drills

who's your daddy you pyong gong bitch?

M

McX

actually yale there is a movement afoot in our area to allow chickens to be owned in urban settings. i do kinda miss mine.

gsx1138

I just started becoming a "prepper" about two months ago. I realized if SHTF my flatscreen TV and xbox 360's would mean nothing.

I also realized I have NO skills for survival other than I can shoot. So I had a friend start taking me fishing (yes, I've never fished before). I'm working on building a home forge so I can learn how to make tools (always wanted to blacksmith anyway). And I need to learn how to plant food. I don't know if it's an age thing but for some reason I've been feeling a sense of urgency since the beginning of this year.

The book "One Second After" really opened my eyes to how much of a near helpless sheep I am. It's even more sad to look around at people and realize they wouldn't last very long either. Being Buddhist I don't know why I couldn't see the illusion of society before and how artificial and fragile it really is.

jsimmons

The gun store is holding a "good quantity" for me....lol - I pick it up in a few weeks. yaHooooo agreed, 99% of the populace has no clue how short on time they are.

And on what are you basing this? The methane bubble in the gulf? The appearance of planet X? Can you read tea leaves and tell the future? Seriously, how do you know "how short on time" we are?

eye95

And on what are you basing this? The methane bubble in the gulf? The appearance of planet X? Can you read tea leaves and tell the future? Seriously, how do you know "how short on time" we are?

Some folks are just smarter than the rest of us. Thank God we have them around to enlighten us.

Not really.

KansasMustang

All those lists

I Don't think I'll "bug out" to anywhere. I live in the country not very far from a very small town. But outside my doors are at least three herds of cattle. I have horses so that solves any transportation problem. My neighbors are all good folks and are used to self determination and also lending a hand, so it'll be mutual support here. One thing good for long range coms that even I hadn't thought of is a HAM radio. While expensive maybe it may come to good use. It's true, not many know how little time there is to prepare for the worst, I still pray for the best tho'.

M

McX

no one's smarter, nor more enlightened than the other. it doesn't take much to reach a conclusion; look around you, witness how mankind behaves toward each other, how well society is as a whole, how the government is treating people, behavior and activities around the world, our economy- or lack of it, what we have as leaders, how dependant the people are on the government for their daily living. things seem to be adding up, mostly in the negative.

eye95

no one's smarter, nor more enlightened than the other. it doesn't take much to reach a conclusion; look around you, witness how mankind behaves toward each other, how well society is as a whole, how the government is treating people, behavior and activities around the world, our economy- or lack of it, what we have as leaders, how dependant the people are on the government for their daily living. things seem to be adding up, mostly in the negative.

Folks have been saying precisely that for thousands of years. And, they all have been wrong so far. No doubt, an apocalypse will come some time, but no one knows when. When it comes, it will come as a thief in the night.

Those who claim they know are not as wise as they portray themselves.

Last edited:
M

McX

i know nothing, other than a feeling, and a duty to protect myself, my family, and my property, to the best of my ability, in whatever situation i am handed- minor or major. i plan for the major as well.

eye95

It is wise to be prepared for disasters. However, the claims by some to know better than others how close we are to disaster are arrogant claims--especially when the poster names himself as one of the knowledgeable 1% and insults the 99% who aren't so well informed.

I applaud the effort of this thread to help people decide how to be prepared.

gsx1138

Folks have been saying precisely that for thousands of years. And, they all have been wrong so far. No doubt, an apocalypse will come some time, but no one knows when. When it comes, it will come as a thief in the night.

Those who claim they know are not as wise as they portray themselves.

Who said anything about the apocalypse. Mankind has done just fine tearing down civilization for thousands of years. Empire's rise and fall all without the aid of supernatural help. We do it to ourselves.

My reasoning for prepping is the same reason I carry a gun. I'll probably never have to use either but I'd rather have it when I need it.

Of course, I can't speak for all the 2012, Revalations apocalypse, Ragnarok folks. People believe in all sorts of stuff.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
They may be way to expensive to purchase, if they even make them for personal use, but concerning water storage for a good length of time, anything that is silver lined will purify water and keep it that way for extended periods. I guess the tablets would be the most economical way to go though.

The water purification pills are for very short term use only a few days..for long term water purification needs, the portable Katadyn pump filters are great each filter can create a 1000 gallons of drinking water, or get a gravity feed filter.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_WP F820_A_name_E_Katadyn® Gravidyn TRK

http://shop.monolithic.com/products/just-water-ceramic-drip-filter