• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc survival thread. Be ready for natural & man made disasters

Digital

VFORVENDETTA

Yes, that works fine as long as the bleach is not past it's expiration, bleach will lose it's strength after 6 months or so.

Pool shock, will last forever....with pool shock you can create bleach. 1 four gallon package of pool shock will last you forever.

Those pool chemicals have other stuff in them that is not good to drink.

M

McX

no guarentee you will have the resources or time to boil it. hence the cheat sheet.

Metalhead47

Wow I find something new & interested on this forum every day. :dude:

Like gsx1138, I've only fairly recently come to the realization that I need to be doing something, and I'm way behind the curve (but I read Patriots by JW Rawles). So far we're up to about a month of food & water, and not nearly enough ammo (IS there such thing as "enough" ammo?), and learning with our lil garden to grow our own food (taters & onions do real well right here). Also have a walking schmorgasbord come wandering thru our yard most days, but still need to learn hunting & game prep. Glad I'm not the only one out there not set on bugging OUT. Where we live that'd be a great way to get very dead very quick in any kind of incident, big or small. I'd rather hunker down with what I have.

*subscribed*

Metalhead47

I think wild animals would be hunted out of existence. Insects are edible, just a little crunchy.

See, now I think there would be an explosion of the critter population, even with increased hunting. The overwhelming majority of people have no idea how to hunt, or the slightest idea what to do if they actually bagged something. Those people won't last long. Vegetarians & vegans will go extinct especially quick, one way or the other :lol:

It's people that keep down most critter populations, take away most of the people and the critters will bounce back real quick.

M

McX

People Eating Tasty Animals. P.E.T.A.

added on edit; My theory; why are the dinosaurs extinct? They tasted good.

Last edited:

Las Vegan

c'mon man, do you really think you'd be able to come up with the 3000+ calories a day, year round, you'd need just to survive, purely from plants, without a functioning society to support you? 'specially in a desert like LV

I was replying to the sentiment that vegetarians will go extinct quickly made within the context of a thread about preparedness for a man-made or natural catastrophe. I'm thinking along the lines of a major earthquake or a chemical spill, something a bit short of the Great Zombie Apocalypse. When you use a term like "year-round," it seems that you are thinking of a very long term situation.

There are two million people in this valley surrounded entirely by desert. How many meat-eaters do you think this environment will support "year-round"?

It's all about being prepared, which is the point of this discussion. I am prepared to survive a major natural or man-made catastrophe well within the boundaries of my ethical choices, and I hope you are too, but we both know that most aren't.

Metalhead47

I was replying to the sentiment that vegetarians will go extinct quickly made within the context of a thread about preparedness for a man-made or natural catastrophe. I'm thinking along the lines of a major earthquake or a chemical spill, something a bit short of the Great Zombie Apocalypse. When you use a term like "year-round," it seems that you are thinking of a very long term situation.

There are two million people in this valley surrounded entirely by desert. How many meat-eaters do you think this environment will support "year-round"?

It's all about being prepared, which is the point of this discussion. I am prepared to survive a major natural or man-made catastrophe well within the boundaries of my ethical choices, and I hope you are too, but we both know that most aren't.

Easy bro, wasn't trying to be disrespectful, just honestly curious. Allow me to clarify, I mean that vegetarians would go extinct in that they either wouldn't be alive anymore... or wouldn't be vegetarian anymore. A practicing omnivore has an obvious advantage in any given survival situation :D I am thinking of a long-term situation, or at least doing my best to plan for such. If I'm prepared for a multi-year TEOTWAWKI clusterfork, a few months of disruption will be easy. If I'm prepared for several months of disruption, a few weeks will be easy. If I'm prepared for a few weeks, a couple of days will be easy. If I'm prepared for a couple of days, one night without power won't even raise an eyebrow. As you mentioned, most people begin freaking out at just that.

Most of those two million people simply won't survive. But the desert did support native communities of a few hundred or a few thousand for millenia. I just don't think they were vegetarians :p. But I could be wrong.

Personally, the desert is the absolute last place I'd want to be in any SHTF scenario of any duration. I grew up in PHX. One night without power in the summer was a legitimate reason to bug out to the nearest hotel. My folx still live down there. I think they're screwed.:(

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I am close to a year with out grocery stores, I have prepped for most shtf senarios, even TEOTWAWKI. most won't survive. figure 90 % of the population dying off with in 2 months. with in that 2 month span, Mob rule will be an everyday situation. People will do what ever they can to survive. this civilized society is only 3 days away from being not so civilized, as most people only have about 3 days food, water in their homes.

WATER, FOOD, WEAPONS, TOILET PAPER, MED SUPPLIES, COOKING SUPPLIES, HEATING SUPPLIES, PERSONAL HYG, ....... look at what you use everyday, then stock pile it for a years worth of use.

Bulk foods, mountain house, MRE's....... I have been prepping for about 4 years now, I am ready.

Metalhead47

I am close to a year with out grocery stores, I have prepped for most shtf senarios, even TEOTWAWKI. most won't survive. figure 90 % of the population dying off with in 2 months. with in that 2 month span, Mob rule will be an everyday situation. People will do what ever they can to survive. this civilized society is only 3 days away from being not so civilized, as most people only have about 3 days food, water in their homes.

WATER, FOOD, WEAPONS, TOILET PAPER, MED SUPPLIES, COOKING SUPPLIES, HEATING SUPPLIES, PERSONAL HYG, ....... look at what you use everyday, then stock pile it for a years worth of use.

Bulk foods, mountain house, MRE's....... I have been prepping for about 4 years now, I am ready.

Cool, so...
When the lights go out, part at your place? :banana:
BYOB I''ll assume :D

when the anti-christ arives?

No amount of physical preparation will be of help there, need to be sure one's spiritual storehouse is adequately supplied.

M

McX

at least initially i'll be protecting my shop, playing 'looter shooter', while the kids hold down the homefront. trying to supply in there, have most in place at home. once a boy scout, always a boyscout...............and maybe a looter shooter heh-heh.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Cool, so...
When the lights go out, part at your place? :banana:
BYOB I''ll assume :D

No amount of physical preparation will be of help there, need to be sure one's spiritual storehouse is adequately supplied.

it's bring your own everything & a few bottles of top shelf Vodka...I make one heck of a end of the world Bloody Mary....Yummmmy