• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time open carry in Vancouver

joejoejoe

Well, I finally bought my open carry holster for my Ruger SP101. I have been frequenting this board just to see other peoples' experiences with open carry, but I haven't had the guts to do it myself. I am always afraid someone will scream "LOOK OUT! HE'S GOT A GUN!" After reading through the forums, I have noticed a lot of people having no issue at all when open carrying. So I finally decided to OC today. I went to Chevron right next to Apple Bee's on 99th St. and it was so packed I had to wait in a line for gas. I got out and I don't think anyone even noticed. Then I went to Baja Fresh for some lunch on 78th st and hwy 99. Two little old ladies were right at the door as I walked in. Once I got up to the front counter, clearly the lady noticed because her voice got really quiet after I saw her eyes look toward my waist. I just smiled after signing my receipt and waited for my food. I got my food and left with no hassle at all. Not a HUGE experience, but I think it's all I can handle for now!! I will work my way toward bringing into Fredy's or other large places. All in all, a great first time!

Joe~

Just Us

You got the first one out of the way!!
In no time you'll be comfortable going most places.

Just be yourself and usually you won't see any problems.

Just4protection

Right on, I also lost my virginity over the weekend. I was really nervous about it. Felt like everyone was watching me. Went to the gas station and the Red Box Rental. No issues at all.

Here's my issue, when I CC, I feel like I can do most anything. I look at people, watching hands and trying to predict what they're up to, if anything. I feel like if I'm OC, I can't behave like that. If I'm constantly looking around scoping people out and I have a gun strapped to my side, then I become the suspicious looking one.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
A) No one will notice. 99.99% of people do not exercise Situational Awareness
B) Do it anyway, heighten your SA

Right on, I also lost my virginity over the weekend. I was really nervous about it. Felt like everyone was watching me. Went to the gas station and the Red Box Rental. No issues at all.

Here's my issue, when I CC, I feel like I can do most anything. I look at people, watching hands and trying to predict what they're up to, if anything. I feel like if I'm OC, I can't behave like that. If I'm constantly looking around scoping people out and I have a gun strapped to my side, then I become the suspicious looking one.

joejoejoe

lol

Yeah... I remember the first time I CCed. I thought EVERYONE knew I was hiding something. Eventually, I would wear it awkwardly to see if anyone noticed. It was only after I brought up to my friends that I had a gun did they notice. My wife even "groped" me the first time I wore CC because she knew I got the CWP, and she said, "Oh, are you not wearing it today?" Except that I was wearing it. After open carrying, it feels like all eyes are on me, and if I look nervous toward someone I might "warrant alarm." I just have to start small and get comfortable and it will be as normal as CC. I really don't think people notice. And in the slight chance they do notice, they probably think "officer" before they think "citizen with a gun" or even "OH MY GOSH HES GOT A GUN!"

Joe~

JOESEEB

joejoejoe,

Glad to hear you got out and saw the world through OC eyes. Its funny my name is Joe and i had almost the same experience the first time i OCed. the thing about it is if you don't pay any mind to your side arm most other people wont either. people i mean sheeple don't generally notice anything below eye level. so as long as you just act like your self and be respectful most people wont even notice. Happy carrying.

I live in Vancouver as well I'm 26 seeing that we have the same name and both carry side arms maybe we could go shooting some time.