• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Awesome Police Encounter!

whoopingllama

So, I was at the walmart in Denham wasting time waiting on my wife to finish with a Mary Kay thing at Ryan's. I had spent a good bit of time there, and then decided to go ahead and make my purchases and head out to the parking lot to try to fix a problem i was having with my car window. I ended up not actually fixing it which sucked. But anyways, I went ahead and got in my car to head back over to the Ryan's parking lot cuz i figured her meeting thing was near conclusion. I had just noticed a state police car pass by down the aisle as i was getting in. I made sure he was clear enough so I could go ahead and back out. "Suddenly" he turns around just at the end of the aisle to follow behind me. He followed back up the next aisle and honked an air horn but didn't flash any lights, so i wasn't even sure if it was from him or even at me. So, I kept going and parking in front of the restaurant where pulls in behind me and stops. I get out of the car to see what the deal is and he immediately asks if I'm armed. I say yes, then he asked that put it inside the car for a sec. I asked why, and he said he just wanted to talk. So I disarmed and walked towards him. ended up being a real friendly dude. Apparently some lady in the store had seen me was alarmed so she called the police and said there was a man concealing a gun. He said that I obviously was not concealing anything, so it was no big deal. He was real polite and awesome. Said there was nothing else, and wished me a good evening. He also asked if I was on Bayou Shooter too. I wish I could remember his name. But anyways, just wanted to report on the good LEO experience.

sraacke

Is that required in LA or just a courtesy? In WI, a LEO can ask all he wants I just ignore him.
It's just a courtesy here in LA. If you are Concealing the law requires you to notify and allow the LEO to disarm you if he wants to but most will just tell you to keep it holstered then ask you what Make/Model it is and then tell you about how they have to carry the issue Glock but they perfer Sigs and own a beutiful Sig 229 that he just ...., bla bla bla, etc, etc,..... If you are not Concealing you don't have to notify (duh, the LEO will already see it) and you don't HAVE to disarm but it's a courtesy. You may still end up in the gun conversation situation so always give yourself extra time for these types of encounters.

Fallschirjmäger

Different locales, different attitudes.
I had to speak to one of my Sheriff's deputies on the 20th regarding vehicles that kept parking on a parking pad I had constructed on my property. Being openly armed was a complete non-issue.

georg jetson

It's just a courtesy here in LA. If you are Concealing the law requires you to notify and allow the LEO to disarm you if he wants to but most will just tell you to keep it holstered then ask you what Make/Model it is and then tell you about how they have to carry the issue Glock but they perfer Sigs and own a beutiful Sig 229 that he just ...., bla bla bla, etc, etc,..... If you are not Concealing you don't have to notify (duh, the LEO will already see it) and you don't HAVE to disarm but it's a courtesy. You may still end up in the gun conversation situation so always give yourself extra time for these types of encounters.

Be carefull. It is true that a citizen does not have to disarm at the request of a LEO UNLESS the LEO is investigating the citizen on suspision that some crime has been or will be committed. Review Terry V Ohio. http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0392_0001_ZS.html

In short, if you are free to go then you are free to remain armed. If the officer has restrained your freedom, you'd better honor any requrest to disarm.

NRAMARINE

Welcome dpsd204. Thank you for being an example to your fellow officers, and understanding that we as legally armed citizens who choose to exercise our rights are not the enemy. Be safe and keep up the good work.

SlackwareRobert

Amazing how having a few leo up on possible death penalty charges gets the law obeyed by the fence sitters.
Have you considered there was someone with a gun hidden and you just caused the leo to not go after them?

charlie12

Amazing how having a few leo up on possible death penalty charges gets the law obeyed by the fence sitters.
Have you considered there was someone with a gun hidden and you just caused the leo to not go after them?

What are you talking about?
If you are talking about what DSPD204 did he was doing his job. He had a call and he answered it. Found out it was a non issue and that was it.

What the hell is the "fence sitter" comment? DSPD204 is no fence sitter if you're talking about him.

My first encounter with him years ago was on a safety check on the side or the road. I was so impressed with the way he conducted himself I called and told the Chief of Police at his department how nice and professional he was.
That was about 10 yrs. ago. He was a great LEO then and he's a great LEO now.

Gunslinger

Nice to read about a good cop from time to time. The other kind get most of the press and the decent ones get forgotten. And a cop who knows a SIG is better than a Glock shows great promise...

dspd204

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes & kind words!

Charlie12's brief synopsis of my & whoopingllama's meeting was entirely accurate. I am obligated to answer complaints from our citizens, as trivial and/or unfounded as they may be. I would have to agree w/ the general consensus that the majority of LEOs nationwide are misinformed on 2A & OC issues, but I can assure you that the officers under my supervision are WELL versed on handling such matters.

The post about me asking whoopingllama to briefly voluntarily disarm was entirely correct. He was under no obligation to do so. There was no Terry issue involved because I immediately saw that he was OC'ing & he was under no suspicion of criminal activity. I didn't know him & his voluntary compliance made me more comfortable during our perhaps 30 second interaction. I wish that the OC community would realize that most LEOs are not of the JBT mentality, are strong advocates of the 2A, & realize that an armed citizenry is a very strong deterrent to criminal activity.

In closing, I would ask that the OC community give due consideration to LEOs who are trying to do the right thing in a society that gets more dangerous for us ALL everyday.

With Best Regards,
Shannon Womack

paul@paul-fisher.com

I am obligated to answer complaints from our citizens, as trivial and/or unfounded as they may be.

This is for information only, tone cannot necessarily be determined in a text based environment. That being said, could you have done a drive by and seen that the 'perpetrator' was lawfully OC'ing and not doing anything that should cause alarm and left it at that?

I'm not trying to act paranoid, and I don't know the LA stop and identify laws, but we just had a situation in WI where a lady was driving down the street after someone at church called the cops and asked if OC is legal (it is). Instead of driving by and seeing no blood running down the streets, they performed a felony stop and pulled her out of the car and then took her car keys away and illegally searched the car and found a loaded gun. That is technically illegal but the DA filed not charges since the LEO had no RAS.

Anyhow, I am trying to give you guys (LEO's) the benefit of the doubt but sometimes it's hard.

dspd204

Paul, upon my arrival the OP was getting into his vehicle and driving away. Had he still been on foot, I would have in fact done a drive-by and cleared the call as unfounded.

I don't understand your comment about tone in written words... My comment about "trivial and/or unfounded complaints" was aimed at my complainant.