• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LV Sheriff Takes calls on radio show

Nevada carrier

http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/24333996/detail.html

LAS VEGAS -- Sheriff Doug Gillespie sat down at radio station KXNT Tuesday, answering questions by the station’s listeners who called in.

Many of the calls asked Gillespie about the high number of officer-involved shootings this year -- 18 so far, including the controversial shooting death of Erik Scott, 39, shot to death by three Las Vegas Metro police officers.

“Why do they always shoot above the leg?” One caller asked. “Couldn't you take these people down in a more reasonable fashion that might save some life and heartache?”

“We shoot for center mass,” Gillespie responded. "That's the way we've trained. It’s the most effective way to diffuse the threat -- people aren't necessarily standing still.”

Another caller asked: “Do you think in the Costco shooting, though, that might have saved someone's life? Was he really that dangerous?”

Gillespie: “Yes, that is the reason why we've chosen to fire our weapons.”

Another caller asked just who would be investigating the shooting death of Scott.

“We are the investigating arm,” Gillespie said. “There is oversight from the district attorney's office, as well, and the Department of Justice at the federal level takes a look at all of these types of cases.”

Gillespie told listeners the checks and balances are in place to ensure a fair investigation, and the coroner’s inquest -- expected in September -- will weigh heavily.

In the past 34 years, the coroner has found one police shooting death unjustified.

The last line says it all.

Mudjack

Banned
There will be no investigation...

There will be no investigation on the Scott case. What little investigation is done will favor the cops no matter what and they will all walk away laughing at us again.

SlackwareRobert

Did anyone ask why they said they viewed the tapes, and then say there is a glitch and can't
view them? Or is the local media banning real questions from being asked.

Nevada carrier

It's almost a given that calls were screened and the Sheriff demanded that certain topics not be discussed. I would be nice if public servants served the public not their private interests.

Mudjack

Banned
Never talk to a cop...

Let the cops talk, but never talk to a cop, never trust a cop under any circumstances. They are not there to protect the people. Police protection is indeed a myth. The police are there for one reason and one reason only: to protect the State.

Remember these three questions when talking to the cops -- and especially after a shooting or something very serious:

What is the nature of your inquiry?

Am I being detained?

Am I free to go?

Repeat, if necessary.

That's all we ever need to say to cops. Period.

I know, it's hard to believe these days, but we still have the Fifth Amendment. Use it or lose it.