• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Vernal, Ut

Sorti

I have lived in Utah for about 2 years now, and honestly have only run across one old timer packing a 6 shooter as far as anyone OC'ing here. I think I only noticed it because it was on his left hip and seemed out of place.
I have been busy and on the go most of the time I have been in Utah, so I have rarely had time to go to the range, let alone go for my CFP or look into OC rules.
Anyways, the past month I have had some free time and I used some of that to go to the range, teach my GF a bit more about guns, and started looking into OC laws and getting my permit. After finding out how liberal the laws are here, and reading a lot of stories both on this website and others, I decided it was time to start exercising the right to OC.

So far in Vernal I have had no issues. I have carried in several stores, sporting good shops, ranch shops, mom and pop shops, several restaurants, Sears, Dollar store, etc. Yesterday I walked out of the chinese restaurant and there was a minor fender bender right behind my truck that was parked on the street. I walked around my truck and the LEO looked at me, looked at my hip, saw me going for my door to leave and he went back to his investigation without giving me a second look.

The only negative, and I haven't pressed the issue, was when I happened to be talking to someone that was a floor supervisor at Wal-Mart. I asked her how they felt about open carry. She said they teach their greeters that if they see someone entering OC that they ask them to leave their weapon in their car. At the same time, I spoke with someone else that says he open carries there all the time.

So all in all I haven't had really any reaction in Vernal. Everyone seems to go about their business and let me go about mine. I get a few glances but that is to be expected.

Sorti.

jpm84092

Way To Go

Vernal is a quaint little town in Eastern Utah. I have enjoyed my visits there. I once even purchased a handgun in the local sporting goods store. All the clerks in the firearms section were wearing long (511 type) shirts and I suspect they were concealed carrying.

I am glad your experiences have been so positive and I hope they continue to be. I personally carry concealed because I can and because it does not frighten the more timid sheeple. On the occasions that I open carry, my back-up gun (BUG) is concealed.

41 Magnum

Vernal? I doubt you'll ever have trouble there as far as anything local or long established goes. As for Wal-Mart, watch it. Seems to be a hit or miss thing, my ex-wife got kicked out of there for OCing last year.

As for Basin Sports? I'll bet you dinner anywhere you want that the counter staff were carrying. I know a few of them, and they are quality stand up guys.

jpm84092

I just checked the receipt. It was Basin Sports that I purchased a handgun at (Rossi .357 two inch snubbie). The price was competitive, the clerks knew their stuff, and to my surprise, I did not have to produce my Utah driver license - just my Utah (resident) CFP showing an address in Utah. They did the compulsory call to BCI to verify my permit was still valid, I filled out the paperwork, gave them my credit card, purchased some ammo, and was on my way - all before my companions were finished checking the aisles for stuff that might attract them.

So, as somebody who has experienced excellent customer service at Basin Sports, I can "recommend" them to others.

Sorti

I frequent Basin Sports regularly. Many times I just hang around the gun counter chatting with the guys. Sure are a friendly and knowledgable group. Never had an issue with open carry there.

Also in Vernal .... we now have a brand new Sonic! Yay!

And behind the Sonic is a new Cal Ranch store. They are also open carry friendly as well as dog friendly.
I took my golden retriever in to find a collar for him. A store clerk came up and asked if I needed help, told him what I needed and he took me right to the collars, no questions or comments about my dog or side arm. We shopped around a bit, went to the gun counter and bought some ammo and had a nice time.
They also have a nice selection of weapons, some different then Basin's, and some variance in prices.

Sorti