Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Received Crticism for OC?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ft. Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    16

    Received Crticism for OC?

    As you may, or may not, be able to tell by my name on the forums here, I'm a medic in the Army. One would think that being a service member, one would want to protect themselves from potential dangerous situations. Especially if they've been to the 'Raq or the 'Stan. Now, unfortunately, I haven't been deployed yet, however I still have that mental urge to want to protect myself and my Family. Add to that, the feeling to want to express my 2nd Amendment Right. I OC everywhere I go, and in my home my .45 is always an arms reach away.

    That being said, I recently hung out with a bunch of my Army buddies at Texas Roadhouse in Sierra Vista, and I was OCing. I expected the typical looks from civies in the restaraunt, however, I was not expecting the looks or the comments that I got from my bro's. Now, they could've just been screwing with me, but their tone of voice and the way they said things, made me assume otherwise.

    Being ridiculed and questioned by people about why one decides to OC or why they feel that they need to is perfectly normal. However, being questioned and ridiculed by people who serve this country to preserve freedom and the rights of Americans is not what I expected. I tried to explain to them that I OC for several reasons (ie. Personal protection and exercising my 2nd Amendment Right, etc) and they just shot me down, saying it was the dumbest f-ing thing they've heard of and that if I feel the need to carry a weapon wherever I go then I should go to the mental health department and get checked out; things of that nature. Needless to say, I was a tad hurt by the experience.

    So the question for today is: How often have you been ridiculed by people who are close to you? How did you handle it? What did you say? Was the conflict resolved?
    Last edited by SixtyEightWhiskey; 07-21-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything

  2. #2
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Jealousy and insecurity make people say the dumbest things. You were not only well within your rights, you took a positive step in the protection of yourself, the innocent and the nation as a whole. Carry proudly.

    Some of the most polite drivers I ever met were in Aridzona, when I used to mountain bike with an OC Glock on my left hip they would even go completely into the opposite lane when passing me. I was always surprised at their willingness to give me so much space.

    Btw, I miss Sierra Vista and driving the fire roads on post
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 07-21-2010 at 12:25 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    63
    You know, they were probably just f-ing with you.. I'm sure that folks who have/do put their life on the line to protect freedom understand when someone is expressing it. They probably saw that is was a touchy/emotional subject for you and started poking at you to get a reaction.

    The best thing to do in those scenarios is to find something that "gets their goat" and poke back JOKINGLY. Don't get offensive, just play the boy-tease-boy game with them, then punch'em in the arm.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran StogieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    746
    You should counsel your buddies. I always preferred using the tree to tree counseling method. That should do the trick.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ft. Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Jealousy and insecurity make people say the dumbest things. You were not only well within your rights, you took a positive step in the protection of yourself, the innocent and the nation as a whole. Carry proudly.

    Some of the most polite drivers I ever met were in Aridzona, when I used to mountain bike with an OC Glock on my left hip they would even go completely into the opposite lane when passing me. I was always surprised at their willingness to give me so much space.

    Btw, I miss Sierra Vista and driving the fire roads on post
    Ha, oh yes, driving the fire roads...good times.
    It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything

  6. #6
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    I suspect that many of your Army buds are from nanny states where guns are not part of the culture. This is Arizona... not New York or Illiniois. Open carry has been the norm here since the 19th century. Codified into the AZ Constitution in 1912 (upon statehood). Prior to 1994... OC was the only method of legitimate carry.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,201
    One note, do not OC at Texas Roadhouse. OC is illegal in places serving alcohol in AZ, only licensed CC is permitted. Carry on.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ft. Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    One note, do not OC at Texas Roadhouse. OC is illegal in places serving alcohol in AZ, only licensed CC is permitted. Carry on.
    Yes, thank you for that bit of information. Idiot me, was lead astray by some people's statements on these forums. Should have read the state laws prior. But hey, hindsight's always 20/20 right? Ha.
    It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    How often have I been ridiculed for Carrying?

    Constantly, by every human being I have ever met. They can never produce a rational reason for their disdain. All they have it flat-out brainwashed hate-mongering. Factually, blind hatred it is the only way one can have a problem with being a tool-using human.

    It was asked recently by a female attempting to gain insight into her boyfriend's desire to carry at all times. "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun ALL the time?" The question suggests that there are times and places in which being dead is preferable to being a live. I'd like someone to cite these times and places for me. When and where is it more desirable to be dead, than to be alive and be prepared to stay that way?

    The objections most people have to firearms stem from the chain of Ignorance -> Fear -> Hate. Those who protect this chain by defending the root with Willful Ignorance, are the most reprehensible living things on the face of the earth. Refusing knowledge in order to keep your false justifications for hatred alive, is absolutely perverted.

    But that's what their TV teaches them, so they do it.

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by SixtyEightWhiskey View Post
    Yes, thank you for that bit of information. Idiot me, was lead astray by some people's statements on these forums. Should have read the state laws prior. But hey, hindsight's always 20/20 right? Ha.
    I'm 20 and I live in Maine. My friends have ribbed me HARD about OC, but at the end of the day instead of arguing with them I simply look them dead in the eye say look, "this is me... if you don't like me for me than thats just too bad because this is all your gonna get". After that statement they either a) never talk to me again, or b) tell me that I better be carrying when I'm around them because they feel safer with me there. (it's almost ALWAYS option B... although A has happened a few times, not gonna lie! ha)

  11. #11
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by SixtyEightWhiskey View Post
    So the question for today is: How often have you been ridiculed by people who are close to you? How did you handle it? What did you say? Was the conflict resolved?
    I have never been ridiculed.

    My guess is that the reason you were harrangued is because you are part of a profession that does not tolerate individuality. By wearing a gun you were doing something forbidden - declaring that you were not like the herd you were with. Add the young age thing and the fact that many of your peers come from places where civilians with guns is eeeevil and it made them uncomfortable.

    My two cents,
    Fred

  12. #12
    Regular Member mFonz77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    265
    I have never been ridiculed. Even when I lived in Missouri and had to be more concerned with the patchwork of local ordinances that [may have] prohibited open carry. Not many even notice to being with, and those that do either assume I'm an off-duty LEO or hold their tongue. Here in Arizona it's quite commonplace and I have not had a single comment since moving here. (And if I did, I wouldn't care. I have my "polite education" answers ready at all times.)

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Being in the military does not automatically convey wisdom into a person. You are an obvious "outlier."



    Quote Originally Posted by SixtyEightWhiskey View Post
    As you may, or may not, be able to tell by my name on the forums here, I'm a medic in the Army. One would think that being a service member, one would want to protect themselves from potential dangerous situations. Especially if they've been to the 'Raq or the 'Stan. Now, unfortunately, I haven't been deployed yet, however I still have that mental urge to want to protect myself and my Family. Add to that, the feeling to want to express my 2nd Amendment Right. I OC everywhere I go, and in my home my .45 is always an arms reach away.

    That being said, I recently hung out with a bunch of my Army buddies at Texas Roadhouse in Sierra Vista, and I was OCing. I expected the typical looks from civies in the restaraunt, however, I was not expecting the looks or the comments that I got from my bro's. Now, they could've just been screwing with me, but their tone of voice and the way they said things, made me assume otherwise.

    Being ridiculed and questioned by people about why one decides to OC or why they feel that they need to is perfectly normal. However, being questioned and ridiculed by people who serve this country to preserve freedom and the rights of Americans is not what I expected. I tried to explain to them that I OC for several reasons (ie. Personal protection and exercising my 2nd Amendment Right, etc) and they just shot me down, saying it was the dumbest f-ing thing they've heard of and that if I feel the need to carry a weapon wherever I go then I should go to the mental health department and get checked out; things of that nature. Needless to say, I was a tad hurt by the experience.

    So the question for today is: How often have you been ridiculed by people who are close to you? How did you handle it? What did you say? Was the conflict resolved?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  14. #14
    Regular Member NY2AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    75
    As Sonora Rebel pointed out; people in the military come from various parts of the country. Most of those places, OC, although legal, may not be common. Hopefully with some time in 'Zona your buddies will become a bit more accustomed to seeing folks open carry. Also, as someone else pointed out, being in the military does not automatically guarantee wisdom. On top of that not all people who are in the military are die hard on freedoms. Some just join due to circumstance.

    11b here; AZNG. I open carry most of the time. Like everything else, its an individual choice. I applaud you for making the choice to carry open, and hope you do not allow criticisms from others to discourage you from continuing the practice.
    If ever you find yourself in a situation where you can't be safe, be violent!

  15. #15
    Regular Member GF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Peoria, AZ, ,
    Posts
    138
    Yeah they may think that it is stupid or what not, but who are they going to be looking for and hiding behind when somethings jumps off . But I'm sure they were just yankin' your chain.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Superstition Mountain, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    424
    I've never been ridiculed, but I don't think I've open carried in a group situation like that before, either. I generally carry when I'm alone as I go about my daily business, and so far I've either been ignored or received positive comments.

  17. #17
    Regular Member flagellum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    385
    I'm in the military too so I feel I can say this: A LOT of enlisted men are dumb, and by that I mean bottom of the barrel dumb. They don't have a damn clue what freedom is, they were either brought to the military by the paycheck, or by Patriotism(Nationalism).

    Like others have said as well, carrying a gun is an individual choice. Nobody told you to do it. Military men are not used to having individual choices.

    Not everybody came from a free state, they may have been indoctrinated in New York, California, or a number of other places. Stack these three things on top of eachother, and you can see why military men are least likely to understand why you do what you do.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ft. Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by flagellum View Post
    I'm in the military too so I feel I can say this: A LOT of enlisted men are dumb, and by that I mean bottom of the barrel dumb. They don't have a damn clue what freedom is, they were either brought to the military by the paycheck, or by Patriotism(Nationalism).

    Like others have said as well, carrying a gun is an individual choice. Nobody told you to do it. Military men are not used to having individual choices.

    Not everybody came from a free state, they may have been indoctrinated in New York, California, or a number of other places. Stack these three things on top of eachother, and you can see why military men are least likely to understand why you do what you do.
    I agree. A lot of enlisted men are dumb. Well put sir, well put.
    It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Posts
    200
    [QUOTE=So the question for today is: How often have you been ridiculed by people who are close to you? How did you handle it? What did you say? Was the conflict resolved?[/QUOTE]

    People who are close to me (that do not necessarily approve of carrying firearms, OC or CC) learned long ago that ridicule was not a good way to air their views. When I was younger, I handled it by putting them in various uncomfortable and/or painful positions while I explained my reasons -- I now handle it with more patience (in keeping with being a Pastor, I guess) taking the time to politely explain myself. If they continue in their behavior, I simply keep my mouth shut, ignore them, and disengage from the relationship (yes, this includes family). I don't have the time or the energy to expend of such nonsense.

    All conflict was resolved -- one way or another.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    179
    I think its pretty stupid fail to realize why people OC. They seem to think all of the threats are overseas somewhere far away, and dont see that the immediate threat is here, whether it is some gang banger, or drug addict, or just some insane person that decides to open up on a McDonalds.

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,319
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    One note, do not OC at Texas Roadhouse. OC is illegal in places serving alcohol in AZ, only licensed CC is permitted. Carry on.
    So how is that going to work out with their new (or is it old?) found Constitutional Carry?
    Last edited by protias; 07-24-2010 at 03:45 PM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Gaffney, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    46
    I point to my scar from a gunshot wound to the head I receaved driving a Taxi in 1994.


    Quote Originally Posted by SixtyEightWhiskey View Post
    As you may, or may not, be able to tell by my name on the forums here, I'm a medic in the Army. One would think that being a service member, one would want to protect themselves from potential dangerous situations. Especially if they've been to the 'Raq or the 'Stan. Now, unfortunately, I haven't been deployed yet, however I still have that mental urge to want to protect myself and my Family. Add to that, the feeling to want to express my 2nd Amendment Right. I OC everywhere I go, and in my home my .45 is always an arms reach away.

    That being said, I recently hung out with a bunch of my Army buddies at Texas Roadhouse in Sierra Vista, and I was OCing. I expected the typical looks from civies in the restaraunt, however, I was not expecting the looks or the comments that I got from my bro's. Now, they could've just been screwing with me, but their tone of voice and the way they said things, made me assume otherwise.

    Being ridiculed and questioned by people about why one decides to OC or why they feel that they need to is perfectly normal. However, being questioned and ridiculed by people who serve this country to preserve freedom and the rights of Americans is not what I expected. I tried to explain to them that I OC for several reasons (ie. Personal protection and exercising my 2nd Amendment Right, etc) and they just shot me down, saying it was the dumbest f-ing thing they've heard of and that if I feel the need to carry a weapon wherever I go then I should go to the mental health department and get checked out; things of that nature. Needless to say, I was a tad hurt by the experience.

    So the question for today is: How often have you been ridiculed by people who are close to you? How did you handle it? What did you say? Was the conflict resolved?

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ft. Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by armyman29340 View Post
    I point to my scar from a gunshot wound to the head I receaved driving a Taxi in 1994.
    Well damn son. That's a bold statement there. Glad you made it through that though.
    It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything

  24. #24
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    So how is that going to work out with their new (or is it old?) found Constitutional Carry?
    The new Constitutional Carry law changes nothing regarding Restaurant Carry. You will still need to possess a valid CCW permit to carry in a place where alcohol is served (and that allows firearms), and you may only carry "concealed."

    Fred

  25. #25
    Regular Member KRM59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    256

    In shock

    Quote Originally Posted by SixtyEightWhiskey View Post
    As you may, or may not, be able to tell by my name on the forums here, I'm a medic in the Army. One would think that being a service member, one would want to protect themselves from potential dangerous situations. Especially if they've been to the 'Raq or the 'Stan. Now, unfortunately, I haven't been deployed yet, however I still have that mental urge to want to protect myself and my Family. Add to that, the feeling to want to express my 2nd Amendment Right. I OC everywhere I go, and in my home my .45 is always an arms reach away.

    That being said, I recently hung out with a bunch of my Army buddies at Texas Roadhouse in Sierra Vista, and I was OCing. I expected the typical looks from civies in the restaraunt, however, I was not expecting the looks or the comments that I got from my bro's. Now, they could've just been screwing with me, but their tone of voice and the way they said things, made me assume otherwise.

    Being ridiculed and questioned by people about why one decides to OC or why they feel that they need to is perfectly normal. However, being questioned and ridiculed by people who serve this country to preserve freedom and the rights of Americans is not what I expected. I tried to explain to them that I OC for several reasons (ie. Personal protection and exercising my 2nd Amendment Right, etc) and they just shot me down, saying it was the dumbest f-ing thing they've heard of and that if I feel the need to carry a weapon wherever I go then I should go to the mental health department and get checked out; things of that nature. Needless to say, I was a tad hurt by the experience.

    So the question for today is: How often have you been ridiculed by people who are close to you? How did you handle it? What did you say? Was the conflict resolved?
    I do not know your sevice buddies, But and i will be blunt. I did serve and ate my share of sand. Ask your Buddies why they Joined the service ! they have there rights to there opinon, I support that, but to chastise a fellow service member for exersizing there right to self protection and support of there A2 rights is just wrong. Lets just hope they were just pulling your chains. if not try to educate them on there rights and respocibilities.
    Last edited by KRM59; 07-25-2010 at 11:59 AM.
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •