• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Received Crticism for OC?

SixtyEightWhiskey

As you may, or may not, be able to tell by my name on the forums here, I'm a medic in the Army. One would think that being a service member, one would want to protect themselves from potential dangerous situations. Especially if they've been to the 'Raq or the 'Stan. Now, unfortunately, I haven't been deployed yet, however I still have that mental urge to want to protect myself and my Family. Add to that, the feeling to want to express my 2nd Amendment Right. I OC everywhere I go, and in my home my .45 is always an arms reach away.

That being said, I recently hung out with a bunch of my Army buddies at Texas Roadhouse in Sierra Vista, and I was OCing. I expected the typical looks from civies in the restaraunt, however, I was not expecting the looks or the comments that I got from my bro's. Now, they could've just been screwing with me, but their tone of voice and the way they said things, made me assume otherwise.

Being ridiculed and questioned by people about why one decides to OC or why they feel that they need to is perfectly normal. However, being questioned and ridiculed by people who serve this country to preserve freedom and the rights of Americans is not what I expected. I tried to explain to them that I OC for several reasons (ie. Personal protection and exercising my 2nd Amendment Right, etc) and they just shot me down, saying it was the dumbest f-ing thing they've heard of and that if I feel the need to carry a weapon wherever I go then I should go to the mental health department and get checked out; things of that nature. Needless to say, I was a tad hurt by the experience.

So the question for today is: How often have you been ridiculed by people who are close to you? How did you handle it? What did you say? Was the conflict resolved?

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Jealousy and insecurity make people say the dumbest things. You were not only well within your rights, you took a positive step in the protection of yourself, the innocent and the nation as a whole. Carry proudly.

Some of the most polite drivers I ever met were in Aridzona, when I used to mountain bike with an OC Glock on my left hip they would even go completely into the opposite lane when passing me. I was always surprised at their willingness to give me so much space.

Btw, I miss Sierra Vista and driving the fire roads on post

Last edited:

kootsoup

You know, they were probably just f-ing with you.. I'm sure that folks who have/do put their life on the line to protect freedom understand when someone is expressing it. They probably saw that is was a touchy/emotional subject for you and started poking at you to get a reaction.

The best thing to do in those scenarios is to find something that "gets their goat" and poke back JOKINGLY. Don't get offensive, just play the boy-tease-boy game with them, then punch'em in the arm.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
You should counsel your buddies. I always preferred using the tree to tree counseling method. That should do the trick.

SixtyEightWhiskey

Jealousy and insecurity make people say the dumbest things. You were not only well within your rights, you took a positive step in the protection of yourself, the innocent and the nation as a whole. Carry proudly.

Some of the most polite drivers I ever met were in Aridzona, when I used to mountain bike with an OC Glock on my left hip they would even go completely into the opposite lane when passing me. I was always surprised at their willingness to give me so much space.

Btw, I miss Sierra Vista and driving the fire roads on post

Ha, oh yes, driving the fire roads...good times.

Sonora Rebel

I suspect that many of your Army buds are from nanny states where guns are not part of the culture. This is Arizona... not New York or Illiniois. Open carry has been the norm here since the 19th century. Codified into the AZ Constitution in 1912 (upon statehood). Prior to 1994... OC was the only method of legitimate carry.

SixtyEightWhiskey

One note, do not OC at Texas Roadhouse. OC is illegal in places serving alcohol in AZ, only licensed CC is permitted. Carry on. :)

Yes, thank you for that bit of information. Idiot me, was lead astray by some people's statements on these forums. Should have read the state laws prior. But hey, hindsight's always 20/20 right? Ha.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
How often have I been ridiculed for Carrying?

Constantly, by every human being I have ever met. They can never produce a rational reason for their disdain. All they have it flat-out brainwashed hate-mongering. Factually, blind hatred it is the only way one can have a problem with being a tool-using human.

It was asked recently by a female attempting to gain insight into her boyfriend's desire to carry at all times. "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun ALL the time?" The question suggests that there are times and places in which being dead is preferable to being a live. I'd like someone to cite these times and places for me. When and where is it more desirable to be dead, than to be alive and be prepared to stay that way?

The objections most people have to firearms stem from the chain of Ignorance -> Fear -> Hate. Those who protect this chain by defending the root with Willful Ignorance, are the most reprehensible living things on the face of the earth. Refusing knowledge in order to keep your false justifications for hatred alive, is absolutely perverted.

But that's what their TV teaches them, so they do it.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Yes, thank you for that bit of information. Idiot me, was lead astray by some people's statements on these forums. Should have read the state laws prior. But hey, hindsight's always 20/20 right? Ha.
I'm 20 and I live in Maine. My friends have ribbed me HARD about OC, but at the end of the day instead of arguing with them I simply look them dead in the eye say look, "this is me... if you don't like me for me than thats just too bad because this is all your gonna get". After that statement they either a) never talk to me again, or b) tell me that I better be carrying when I'm around them because they feel safer with me there. (it's almost ALWAYS option B... although A has happened a few times, not gonna lie! ha)

azcdlfred

So the question for today is: How often have you been ridiculed by people who are close to you? How did you handle it? What did you say? Was the conflict resolved?
I have never been ridiculed.

My guess is that the reason you were harrangued is because you are part of a profession that does not tolerate individuality. By wearing a gun you were doing something forbidden - declaring that you were not like the herd you were with. Add the young age thing and the fact that many of your peers come from places where civilians with guns is eeeevil and it made them uncomfortable.

My two cents,
Fred

mFonz77

I have never been ridiculed. Even when I lived in Missouri and had to be more concerned with the patchwork of local ordinances that [may have] prohibited open carry. Not many even notice to being with, and those that do either assume I'm an off-duty LEO or hold their tongue. Here in Arizona it's quite commonplace and I have not had a single comment since moving here. (And if I did, I wouldn't care. I have my "polite education" answers ready at all times.)

wrightme

Being in the military does not automatically convey wisdom into a person. You are an obvious "outlier." :)

As you may, or may not, be able to tell by my name on the forums here, I'm a medic in the Army. One would think that being a service member, one would want to protect themselves from potential dangerous situations. Especially if they've been to the 'Raq or the 'Stan. Now, unfortunately, I haven't been deployed yet, however I still have that mental urge to want to protect myself and my Family. Add to that, the feeling to want to express my 2nd Amendment Right. I OC everywhere I go, and in my home my .45 is always an arms reach away.

That being said, I recently hung out with a bunch of my Army buddies at Texas Roadhouse in Sierra Vista, and I was OCing. I expected the typical looks from civies in the restaraunt, however, I was not expecting the looks or the comments that I got from my bro's. Now, they could've just been screwing with me, but their tone of voice and the way they said things, made me assume otherwise.

Being ridiculed and questioned by people about why one decides to OC or why they feel that they need to is perfectly normal. However, being questioned and ridiculed by people who serve this country to preserve freedom and the rights of Americans is not what I expected. I tried to explain to them that I OC for several reasons (ie. Personal protection and exercising my 2nd Amendment Right, etc) and they just shot me down, saying it was the dumbest f-ing thing they've heard of and that if I feel the need to carry a weapon wherever I go then I should go to the mental health department and get checked out; things of that nature. Needless to say, I was a tad hurt by the experience.

NY2AZ

As Sonora Rebel pointed out; people in the military come from various parts of the country. Most of those places, OC, although legal, may not be common. Hopefully with some time in 'Zona your buddies will become a bit more accustomed to seeing folks open carry. Also, as someone else pointed out, being in the military does not automatically guarantee wisdom. On top of that not all people who are in the military are die hard on freedoms. Some just join due to circumstance.

11b here; AZNG. I open carry most of the time. Like everything else, its an individual choice. I applaud you for making the choice to carry open, and hope you do not allow criticisms from others to discourage you from continuing the practice.

GF

Yeah they may think that it is stupid or what not, but who are they going to be looking for and hiding behind when somethings jumps off :). But I'm sure they were just yankin' your chain.

mzbk2l

I've never been ridiculed, but I don't think I've open carried in a group situation like that before, either. I generally carry when I'm alone as I go about my daily business, and so far I've either been ignored or received positive comments.

flagellum

I'm in the military too so I feel I can say this: A LOT of enlisted men are dumb, and by that I mean bottom of the barrel dumb. They don't have a damn clue what freedom is, they were either brought to the military by the paycheck, or by Patriotism(Nationalism).

Like others have said as well, carrying a gun is an individual choice. Nobody told you to do it. Military men are not used to having individual choices.

Not everybody came from a free state, they may have been indoctrinated in New York, California, or a number of other places. Stack these three things on top of eachother, and you can see why military men are least likely to understand why you do what you do.

SixtyEightWhiskey

I'm in the military too so I feel I can say this: A LOT of enlisted men are dumb, and by that I mean bottom of the barrel dumb. They don't have a damn clue what freedom is, they were either brought to the military by the paycheck, or by Patriotism(Nationalism).

Like others have said as well, carrying a gun is an individual choice. Nobody told you to do it. Military men are not used to having individual choices.

Not everybody came from a free state, they may have been indoctrinated in New York, California, or a number of other places. Stack these three things on top of eachother, and you can see why military men are least likely to understand why you do what you do.

I agree. A lot of enlisted men are dumb. Well put sir, well put.

So the question for today is: How often have you been ridiculed by people who are close to you? How did you handle it? What did you say? Was the conflict resolved?[/QUOTE said:
People who are close to me (that do not necessarily approve of carrying firearms, OC or CC) learned long ago that ridicule was not a good way to air their views. When I was younger, I handled it by putting them in various uncomfortable and/or painful positions while I explained my reasons -- I now handle it with more patience (in keeping with being a Pastor, I guess) taking the time to politely explain myself. If they continue in their behavior, I simply keep my mouth shut, ignore them, and disengage from the relationship (yes, this includes family). I don't have the time or the energy to expend of such nonsense.

All conflict was resolved -- one way or another.

*1911_man*

I think its pretty stupid fail to realize why people OC. They seem to think all of the threats are overseas somewhere far away, and dont see that the immediate threat is here, whether it is some gang banger, or drug addict, or just some insane person that decides to open up on a McDonalds.