• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A good decision from another Wisconsin DA, DA's are elected, show support for freedom

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
First, thanks to Tyguy for the idea: This email was just send to Wisconsin Carry members and our entire email list.

-----

Greetings in Freedom:

A few weeks ago Jackson County District Attorney Gerald Fox issued a now well publicized memo regarding his decision not to enforce/prosecute many of Wisconsin's carry restrictions. We sent an email regarding that memo on July 2nd. An excerpt from that email is included at the END of this email.

This week another Wisconsin DA has made a notable decision NOT to file charges against a Wisconsin open-carrier who was arrested after open-carrying to church. In the DA's comments which can be read in the following article:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/98865554.html

Waukesha County DA Brad Schimel acknowledges Wisconsin's 1998 constitutional amendment (Article 1 Section 25) clearly specifies residents rights with regard to keeping and bearing firearms. Mr. Schimel's comments:
--
"For one, he said, Sutterfield had no bad intent. She had worn the gun to church services peacefully and was never asked to remove it or leave. She told investigators that a salesperson where she had purchased the 9mm handgun had explained to her that it only needed to be in a case when she was driving.

Further, Schimel wrote, the statute in question, which is a non-criminal infraction that carries a maximum forfeiture of $100, was passed before the Wisconsin Constitution was amended to clearly specify residents' rights to keep guns for various purposes. He said he did not think the facts of Sutterfield's case made it the right one to prosecute in an effort to set the limits of gun restrictions."
--
This is an example of a positive decision by a Wisconsin County DA not to prosecute an otherwise law-abiding carrier for a relatively minor infraction of having a loaded gun in a case in the vehicle. Given that DA's are elected officials and are certainly susceptible to political pressure, please take this opportunity to send an email or letter to Mr. Schimel and thank him for recognizing the constitutional rights of law-abiding Wisconsin residents under the WISCONSIN constitution and choosing not to prosecute this individual.

Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel

515 W. Moreland Blvd, Room CG72

Waukesha, WI 53188

262-548-7076

email: WaukeshacountyDA@da.wi.gov

Its important that we let elected District Attorneys know that they have strong political support for these decisions which honor the constitutional rights of law-abiding Wisconsin gun owners/carriers. This is also a good time to write a letter to YOUR county DA, share with that individual these to items (the Jackson County DA memo and the Waukesha County DA decision) and ask that they too would use their discretion and not prosecute otherwise law-abiding individuals for violating Wisconsin statutes that are likely unconstitutional based on both the Wisconsin Constitution (article 1 section 25) and the 2nd Amendment of the Federal Constitution which recently was incorporated and applied to the states which affirms the right to keep and bear arms a FUNDAMENTAL right.

Carry on!

Nik Clark
Chairman/President - Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
www.wisconsincarry.org

JULY 2nd email to Wisconsin Carry Members:

Jackson County District Attorney Gerald R. Fox has declared that, in light of the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling this week that the Second Amendment clearly applies to the states, he will no longer prosecute people for carrying concealed weapons, or certain other gun related offenses.

Here is a link to the Jackson County District Attorneys office where you can read the memo. The memo is in the second link:

http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/district attorney/district_attorney.html

http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/district attorney/Documents/McDonald vs. City of Chicago.pdf

Here are some links to media coverage with various interesting quotes from area police chiefs, a spokesman for Attorney General JB Van Hollen and others. There is some very good information in the articles:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/97680129.html

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/article_45ea1668-85ef-11df-8084-001cc4c002e0.html

J.Gleason

Banned
For those outside Waukesha County who would like to take the opportunity to use these examples of positive action by DA's to influence YOUR county DA to not prosecute violations of Wisconsin's likely unconstitutional firearms carry prohibitions, use the following link to identify your county DA.

http://public.findlaw.com/library/state-district-attorneys/WI.html

The ones listed in Black print will not accept emails from constituents. Such as the Obamican that is in the DA's Office in Calumet County.
I had already sent him an email asking if he was in support of the newly rewritten Republican platform and he did not answer. In this case I think his silence shines in a negative light. Just another DA trying to make it to the bench and will do whatever it takes to get there, even if it goes against the platform which they swear to abide.

Canard

Done. Generally I believe it's a good idea to tell people when they are doing good work. From my experience most people only hear from the groups with negative feedback. I've made a recent decision to tell elected officials when I believe they have done the rigth thing especially when they are sticking their neck out.

Carry on

M

McX

A D.A. that follows the will of the people is a D.A. that gets lauded, maybe raises, and reelected.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Walkin the walk... I like it.

Fox said his office would no longer accept law enforcement referrals for violations including carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a firearm in a public building or bar or having an uncased or loaded firearm in a vehicle. He also said his office wouldn’t accept referrals for possession of switchblades or butterfly knives.

Inlow was unable to be reached for comment, but Fox said her decision to charge likely was oversight.

“I think that one slipped by her,” he said. “I’m the one who got elected to make policy for that office.”

I'm wondering a couple years ago how many people didn't give a second thought to their DA race, or perhaps even the Attorney General race? Even myself perhaps.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

“However, because he was not engaging in any other illegal activity, I am dismissing the case,” Fox said. “... Had he engaged in creating a disturbance, or used the knife to commit a crime, he would still be prosecuted for that conduct.

Common sense... So rarely seen from elected officials...

Prosecuting actual crimes! What a novel concept!

I must say if this guy is just doing this because he has aspirations for higher office I say..... GOOD!

Freedom train leaving the station. Get on board or get run over.

J.Gleason

Banned
Walkin the walk... I like it.

I'm wondering a couple years ago how many people didn't give a second thought to their DA race, or perhaps even the Attorney General race? Even myself perhaps.

Yeah, me too. If I knew years ago what I knew today, I would have always paid more attention to the DA race. It definitely means something and makes a difference in the county level court system.

D.A. Fox is saving the taxpayers a boat load of money for not prosecuting these petty offenses, especially when the defendants are not charged with any other illegal activity. Just think, if every D.A. took this approach we may not have economic problems in our counties. Or in the rest of the state either for that matter.

MKEgal

don't believe all you read

"She told investigators that a salesperson where she had purchased the 9mm handgun had explained to her that it only needed to be in a case when she was driving."

Someone already asked me about this in a PM.
This statement is not true, and not what I told police.
What they heard, and what they wrote down, and what they passed on to other people is their own problem.

I've seen so many errors in the news reports of this flap that now I only believe about half of whatever story is being told by the media.

But I am happy that I won't be getting a ticket.