• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MWAG call:deputies' disdain for Constitution captured by their own recorded comments

eye95

I don't understand why criminal charges are not being pursued against these officers. All the evidence necessary for conspiracy charges are on the tape.

Thundar

I don't understand why criminal charges are not being pursued against these officers. All the evidence necessary for conspiracy charges are on the tape.

Come on Eye95, we know the answer. This happened in California and there were guns involved. Not only were the officers NOT arrested, the gun owner has multiple felony charges pending.

Lots more discussion in the CA forum.

eye95

While that answer may give you a nice warm feeling of self-satisfaction, it does not answer the question: Why aren't these officers facing criminal charges? Can't the feds press charges of civil rights violations? Can't the victim swear out warrants for violating State laws?

Instead of perceiving incidents such as these as symptomatic of system-wide failure, treat each one as an individual crime and pursue it as such.

Deacon Blues

Instead of perceiving incidents such as these as symptomatic of system-wide failure, treat each one as an individual crime and pursue it as such.
Exactly. It is this defeatist attitude that has allowed so many blatant abuses of power to go unchecked.

Mr. Hart seems to have bought into the "can't fight City Hall" lie himself, which is why nothing is being done.

KBCraig

Not only were the officers NOT arrested, the gun owner has multiple felony charges pending.
The charges have been settled. A judge dismissed two charges, and the others were dropped in exchange for pleading guilty to a single misdemeanor (the video didn't say what it was).

The police still have his guns, though.

Mr. Hart seems to have bought into the "can't fight City Hall" lie himself, which is why nothing is being done.
I thought it was more like he bought into the "can't risk a conviction on multiple felonies with just a public defender" attitude. Can't say that I blame him.

cowboy67

I am assuming the misdemeanor was negligent firing of the weapon. Since they stated there were cars driving behind his property.

But still, he should be fighting the county for the jobs of the deputies for all the wrong doings against him.

USMC1986

I am assuming the misdemeanor was negligent firing of the weapon. Since they stated there were cars driving behind his property.

But still, he should be fighting the county for the jobs of the deputies for all the wrong doings against him.

The negligent discharge is considered a felony. His misdemeanor was for resisting and obstructing arrest. These officer's unprofessional conduct makes me sick to my stomach. I'm afraid incidences like this will happen again and it truly saddens me. We need to make it known that we will not stand for it and continue on the fight for our rights.

DJDD

The longer I watched this the more pissed off I got. Not only were 2nd and 4th amendment rights violated, the officer's procedural approach was way off. In a true hostile situation most, if not all, of those officers would have been killed or seriously wounded.

This is what we're up against though. Video evidence of gross rights violations and the victim still gets charged with a crime. Until we can show that we're not afraid to go after corrupt cops its only going to get worse.

AL Ranger

A Sympton of a Larger Problem

When people are deprived of their arms, criminals flourish and that includes bad cops. Theft is theft, regardless of who does it. We now see that armed citizens are needed not only to keep criminals in check, but law enforcement, as well. If their superiors feared the voters, there would have been a different outcome. Obviously, the elitist Sheriff's office has no problem with this. If armed citizens don't revolt, this is what they can expect from their government.