• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places you disarm

sol

Hello OCDO community!
My first post, thought I would introduce myself and ask a few questions. While I am new to the forum (lurking a bit), I am not new to firearms. I have a few, but my favorites are my Beretta .40 S&W and Walther p22 (insert jokes here, but it really is a blast to shoot :p).

Given the new laws, I figured it is time to apply for a VA CHP, and currently over 35 days since filing. Seems as if it is taking forever. While I am waiting for that to come in, I thought I would take an opportunity to ask those of you experienced with OC/CC...

Where do you choose to disarm, and how do you do it?

A few examples for you:
Going to the gym or fitness center
Going to the beach with intent to swim
Going into your workplace where company policy prohibits any weapons
Visiting friends/family who don't argee you should be armed during your visit

Do you leave your firearm at home? In the car out of sight (locked glovebox/trunk)?

Looking forward to your insight! :banana:
Cheers!
sol

virginiatuck

I obey the law, and that's that. I'm not at liberty to disclose when and where I am not armed with a firearm; nor where I keep my firearms. :uhoh:

I will say that playing sports or working out do not necessarily require one to disarm, just that you may need to be creative and/or look like a dork wearing a fanny pack. And in those cases where you may not lawfully carry a firearm, you usually may carry other arms. Something is better than nothing.

nova

I try not to go places where I can't carry. For those places I MUST go where I'm prohibited from carrying by law, I keep it in a safe place. Unless it is ILLEGAL, I don't really care what people think about me carrying, IF they even know at all. This is where CC becomes a nice thing.

eta: since this is kind of related to prohibited places, I thought I'd mention something that made me smile. When I was going to the Fairfax courthouse to pick up my CHP they forgot to mail, there were signs posted by the exits of the garage and at other spots in the parking garage that reminded people that state law prohibited firearms inside the courthouse. I smiled not because guns were not allowed, but at the fact that they EXPECTED people to be carrying firearms. I love Virginia. :cool:

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's a hard question to answer for another person. While many people never disarm except in the forbidden places, many of us do disarm for a variety of reasons.

You're in Fairfax. If I lived there and decided not to hang myself....I'd never be without.

As it is, I do often disarm. Last night was a good example. I was at a Board of Supervisors meeting and the Board was none too gun friendly. Had I not left it in the car, I'd probably have been restricted to a corner of the room.

A lot of the time, I'm just doing something too muddy or dirty to wear my gun.
When going somewhere to make an OC point I wear. When I'm in the city I carry unless I'm doing something I may be arrested for like videoing other OC'ers that are having an a problem with police.

A gun is a tool. It's for self defense and you should carry it when you feel it;s necessary. That's a call you have to make.

Many people feel they can't OC while talking to clients or the Boss. That's when a CHP comes in handy.
Otherwise it's either break the law (Not Suggested) or leave it in the car.

t33j

Private property of close friends if asked (only once so far)
Military Bases
Maryland
vomit-smiley-9529.gif

It's nearby while swimming at the beach and elsewhere
I "work out" at home

Hmmm forgot about 1 and 2 below.

Last edited:

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
Disarm:

1. USPS
2. Courthouse
3. School, and the Daycare
4. At my work (secured area of a commercial airport)

I don't normally disarm anywhere else.. I CC at the theatre, mall, and other anti places.. and I OC everywhere else.

Last edited:

XDUser

I do not go places I can not carry for the most part.
USPS is one where I have a lockable container under the seat.
Military bases are another issue. One day I will probably be the test case on that issue.

vbnative73

Where I Disarm

1. Anywhere required BY LAW.
2. When visiting someone's home who has children, unless they have specifically told me that they have no problem with me carrying. (Personal decision)
3. In-laws' house. They asked me not to bring it in the house.

As has been said by others, outside of the law, the rest is a personal decision for each individual to make for themselves.

sol

Great insight, thanks. I was not trying to discover any hidden secrets, just asking out of curiosity.

With the brandishing laws etc, it makes it more difficult to disarm prior to entering a place of work/post office or other place not allowed, especially when motoring around on a motorcycle. I like the idea of the car safe from architect. Are they of good quality?

simmonsjoe

Adendum

1. Anywhere required BY LAW.
2. When visiting someone's home who has children, unless they have specifically told me that they have no problem with me carrying. (Personal decision)

As has been said by others, outside of the law, the rest is a personal decision for each individual to make for themselves.
I mistook we were talking about public and public access areas.
private homes are a different story.

wylde007

Meh. To what particular benefit for them or you?
My in-laws asked me the same thing. Now I don't go over there nearly as much. I call it win-win.

TFred

With the brandishing laws etc, it makes it more difficult to disarm prior to entering a place of work/post office or other place not allowed, especially when motoring around on a motorcycle.
Fortunately, in Virginia at least, the Brandishing statute does take into account a level of "reasonableness". Not to say you couldn't be arrested and charged, but it would have to be a really bad LEO IMHO.

TFred

"in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another"