• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Do I?

SixtyEightWhiskey

You know what I'm tired of? I am so sick and tired of all this California transplant, psycho babel, liberal, leftover hippie generation bull-s!@# about gun control and like issues. I'm also tired of getting asked over and over again why I think I should need a gun, or why I carry it out in public, or why I "brandish" it on my hip, or why I don't cover it up with a shirt. For God's sake it wears me out. If I believe I need a gun, don't question my motives. Ask politely why I carry in the open. Don't automatically assume that I'm some violent war-monger because of my haircut and the fact that I have a pistol strapped to my waist. It just angers me that liberals are the first to get on your a$$ about gun control and related rules and such, but are also the first to look around for someone with a gun to protect them in a violent situation. *sigh* I know, I'm preaching to the choir. Just had to get it off my chest is all.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Yeah, and I bet you get a lot of that out in Arizona... spill over from your western border state.

Here is something to consider. If you ever see someone whom you know is way out there against firearms, who has admonished and chastised you for practicing your God-given rights, who has openly voiced their adamant opposition to the use of force for ANY reason including to repel a violent attack, and who is in the process of being attacked, why not just let them fend for themselves? Turn around and go the other way and let them figure out their ignorance without your help. Why put your life in jeopardy for someone like that? After all, it's not like the human race is going extinct. Something to think about.

As for me.... I don't know what I'd do in such a situation. I don't know anyone like that where I live.

Last edited:

XD40coyote

Have you told them about rural/wilderness carry and mt lions? Those silly CA hippy types banded together and got all mt lion hunting in CA banned. They even went as far as to not allow for someone hunting one out of state to be able to bring their tagged out of state mt lion into CA. Now CA has the highest amount of mt lion attacks of any state. And they still haven't learned.

Then to add insult to injury, the Californiacs that invaded AZ got a ballot initiative passed to ban most trapping on public lands, which I understand is most of the state. Much of the wild areas are blm or national forest, and you have to hunt around for a private ranch if you want to trap coyotes. It is the same garbage they did in CA, except that in CA it doesn't matter if public or private. I guess Californiacs really love coyotes. I hear that SoCal has the highest rate of coyotes that menace or attack children, of any state. The Californiacs also messed up trapping in CO and WA, and I think WA has some stupid law pertaining to hunting bears and mt lions with dogs, which is the most effective way to hunt them there.

Hmm yeah so don't help any of the well known rabid anti gunners, esp if a mt lion is attacking them. They are probably also some sort of bunny hugger peta type. Though lion hunting is still legal in AZ and I think you can still use hounds, so the lions get thinned enough and the rest learn to avoid people. I just hope you don't start getting coyote problems in suburban areas.

That is awful that you have to put up with people asking you these stupid questions so often. Must be annoying.

Dreamer

It just angers me that liberals are the first to get on your a$$ about gun control and related rules and such, but are also the first to look around for someone with a gun to protect them in a violent situation. *sigh* I know, I'm preaching to the choir. Just had to get it off my chest is all.

Oh, you mean radical, gun-grabbing liberals like:

Paul Helmke: Head of the Brady Campaign
Michael Bloomberg: Mayor of NY
Arnold Schwarzenegger: working hard to disarm CA
John McCain: Sponsored amendments to ban private sales at gun shows. Funded by John Soros for 10 years
Richard Nixon: and I quote, "guns are an abomination"
Ronald Reagan: supported the Brady Bill
G.W. Bush: supported re-upping the "assault weapons ban", and signed the Patriot Act into law

Oops... The were all Republicans...

It has been my experience that "hippies" are pretty much equally divided (like the general population) when it comes to firearms. I know a lot of tree-hugging granola crunchers in NH who own handguns and long guns.

It's not a "right v. left" thing. It's not Republican v. Democrat. It's not "liberal v. conservative". Those labels are just that--labels used to confuse, divide, and keep the People from coming together and exercising their true power.

It's about money and power and control...

Powerful people who are FOR "gun control" are all--to a one--eugenicists. They believe the planet is over populated. They believe we need to DRASTICALLY reduce population. They think that ONLY the military and police should be armed.

Do the math...

Too many people + disarmed populace + armed oligarchy-controlled government = easy population reduction.

Does Bloomberg want his rich white buddies at Goldman Sachs to turn in their Glocks and Sigs? No? Then why should the poor, the disadvantaged, and the minorities not be allowed to have guns in NY?

Does Daley want his rich Chicago cronies to turn in all their guns? No? Then why does he want to keep people like Otis McDonald from protecting themselves?

Does Diane Feinstein want her rich, white Hollywood friends to give up their Concealed Carry permits? No? Well, then why does she want to prevent other law-abiding citizens from owning and carrying firearms?

See a trend here folks?

This isn't rocket science.

More like a "minstrel show tapdance"...

Appalling... Racists... Classists... Olicharchs...

They don't want to "control" your guns, they want to control you lives. They want your land. They want your wealth. They want your labor. They want your children.

They want to return to a "more orderly time" where the Rulers rule, and everyone else serves...

Wake up people...

The "right-left paradigm" is a myth.

The REAL agenda is MUCH bigger, much deeper, and much more grim than you can possibly imagine...

Last edited:

Butch00

oh, you mean radical, gun-grabbing liberals like:

Paul helmke: Head of the brady campaign
michael bloomberg: Mayor of ny
arnold schwarzenegger: Working hard to disarm ca
john mccain: Sponsored amendments to ban private sales at gun shows. Funded by john soros for 10 years
richard nixon: And i quote, "guns are an abomination"
ronald reagan: Supported the brady bill
g.w. Bush: Supported re-upping the "assault weapons ban", and signed the patriot act into law

oops... The were all republicans...

it has been my experience that "hippies" are pretty much equally divided (like the general population) when it comes to firearms. I know a lot of tree-hugging granola crunchers in nh who own handguns and long guns.

It's not a "right v. Left" thing. It's not republican v. Democrat. It's not "liberal v. Conservative". Those labels are just that--labels used to confuse, divide, and keep the people from coming together and exercising their true power.

It's about money and power and control...

Powerful people who are for "gun control" are all--to a one--eugenicists. They believe the planet is over populated. They believe we need to drastically reduce population. They think that only the military and police should be armed.

Do the math...

Too many people + disarmed populace + armed oligarchy-controlled government = easy population reduction.

Does bloomberg want his rich white buddies at goldman sachs to turn in their glocks and sigs? No? Then why should the poor, the disadvantaged, and the minorities not be allowed to have guns in ny?

Does daley want his rich chicago cronies to turn in all their guns? No? Then why does he want to keep people like otis mcdonald from protecting themselves?

Does diane feinstein want her rich, white hollywood friends to give up their concealed carry permits? No? Well, then why does she want to prevent other law-abiding citizens from owning and carrying firearms?

See a trend here folks?

This isn't rocket science.

More like a "minstrel show tapdance"...

Appalling... Racists... Classists... Olicharchs...

They don't want to "control" your guns, they want to control you lives. They want your land. They want your wealth. They want your labor. They want your children.

They want to return to a "more orderly time" where the rulers rule, and everyone else serves...

Wake up people...

the "right-left paradigm" is a myth.

the real agenda is much bigger, much deeper, and much more grim than you can possibly imagine...

amen!

Mike Sexton

Oregon has the same kind of wackos and they banned the hunting of bears and cougars with dogs, now those bear and cougar populations are going sky high. Some day somebodies kid is going to get killed/eaten and then they will howl and blame something else for it. Well DUH what did you expect would happen.

protector84

If someone wants to give me a hostile reaction because I'm lawfully OCing a firearm in a public place, my solution is to simply tell them to f*ck off and mind their own business.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
If someone wants to give me a hostile reaction because I'm lawfully OCing a firearm in a public place, my solution is to simply tell them to f*ck off and mind their own business.

I'm sure I speak for most everyone on this forum who would advise against this sort of behavior. Be the better person, don't stoop to their level, and send a positive message for the rest of the OC'ing community. As hard as it sometimes is to maintain one's composure when under such fire, you will be viewed as having won the argument, and the day, by resisting the impulse to escalate the encounter.

Just a thought.

eye95

I'm sure I speak for most everyone on this forum who would advise against this sort of behavior. Be the better person, don't stoop to their level, and send a positive message for the rest of the OC'ing community. As hard as it sometimes is to maintain one's composure when under such fire, you will be viewed as having won the argument, and the day, by resisting the impulse to escalate the encounter.

Just a thought.

SouthernBoy speaks for me.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Hmmm

Be polite, be courteous, be kind and be professional. There is not greater agitate to the anti's than 'us', the open carry crowd, being nice.

protector84

I normally do respond professionally and nicely to people's questions. However, if someone is being "hostile" I am not going to waste my time with them. I will tell them point blank to leave me alone and if they don't, I will make the necessary scene to get them to stop. Sorry but being "nice" doesn't work 100% of the time. Sometimes you have to be sharp with people. My communication method is generally based on theirs. If someone is polite to me, I'm polite back. If they are rude, I tell them to F*ck off and never speak to me or bother me again. Maybe some of you are different. I don't have the time or energy to treat every ignoramous in our world like a teddy bear. Likewise, just because I OC doesn't mean I should or will attempt to represent the entire gun owner community.

Wastelander

I only recently acquired my first handgun and plan on taking the CCW class (yes, I know this is opencarry.org, and yes, I know I won't need the license after Thursday) so I can conceal if I choose to and do so in multiple states and in establishments that serve alcohol (I don't drink anyway). I have to say that the very thing you describe makes me nervous about OC--I know the law and my right to carry, but I don't like confrontation and would just as soon not be confronted about it. I suspect it's something I'll get over.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm a "liberal" and I won't bug you about why you carry :)

Don Barnett

MANY People Buy Guns for Self Defense and Are Afraid to Carry Them

I RARELY get any response from anyone but if I do I say this:

"It makes no sense to buy a gun for personal protection and then leave it home; that defeats the purpose."

I saw an old friend at Lowes yesterday and he said: "Hey, I see you are armed; good for you!" After I explained why I carry, he said: "I should start carrying mine also."

I suppose that in different parts of the country, people have different reactions because of their perceptions.

In this part of Virginia, it seems to NOT be a big deal to most people.

I definately would not want to be hostile to people as that would cause negative feelings towards us "gun-rights" folks.

Don Barnett

I Just Need to Add One More Thing...

Actually, the NON responses from people here in Prince William County, VA is becoming boring.

One of my errands yesterday, after stopping by Lowes to pick up some fencing rails that broke duing the winter, was to go by Mens Warehouse to get measured for a Tuxedo; my son is getting married next month.

The girl took the tape measure, did all the measurements and had to loop the tape behind the butt of my Smith and Wesson 686 in order to measure my ever expanding waist.

Nothing was said, no negative looks...nothing! As it should be.