• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off-duty Illinois cop fires gun at Winona campsite, WQOW.com SP?

professor gun

And the relationship of this article/incident to open carry or concealed carry in WI is.....................?

fisheyes

I think what he was getting at was had she not been packen , it may have turned out a lot differnt,
But heck I have been wrong before , but thats what I read into it.

J.Gleason

Banned
And the relationship of this article/incident to open carry or concealed carry in WI is.....................?

UhhhhDuhhhhh... She was open carrying the gun. It was not concealed. There are no rules that say open carry only applies to holstered firearms.

I have an even better Idea, why don't you and ********* and the rest of your click go start your own forum?
We got along without you before and I am sure we could do it again.
I mean it is not like you are supportive of other members here. Both of you have made it clear that you stand no one here. You even had derogatory remarks toward Jesus.
Now I realize you will come back with one of your quick witted responses but don't waste your time no one here wants to hear your BS. I am sure WGO is looking for some members just like you.

Spartacus

Banned
UhhhhDuhhhhh... She was open carrying the gun. It was not concealed. There are no rules that say open carry only applies to holstered firearms.

I have an even better Idea, why don't you and ********* and the rest of your click go start your own forum?
We got along without you before and I am sure we could do it again.
I mean it is not like you are supportive of other members here. Both of you have made it clear that you stand no one here. You even had derogatory remarks toward Jesus.
Now I realize you will come back with one of your quick witted responses but don't waste your time no one here wants to hear your BS. I am sure WGO is looking for some members just like you.

LOL you act like you have been here forever and own this forum. You are a sad little man Gleason. Get a life.

J.Gleason

Banned
What's WGO?

Wisconsin Gun Owners, a pathetic "one man Group" that boasts it's importance in the movement when in fact all Cory Graf does is copy and paste info that every other site has already posted.

When confronted, he merely posts the same replies as ********* does. He knows more, he is more important and anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot. For all I know ********* may be his brother.

WGO continuously tries to grovel donations from others and does nothing with them. The entire organization is ran by one man Corey Graf. All he cares about is CCW and he is willing to compromise to get it.

WCI has set a bar that WGO will never reach.

Last edited:
B

bhancock

Relevent

Another non-sequitur post in this forum...

NADA. Typical Dougie

The outcome of an incident like this in how an armed response will be perceived socially. If local law enforcement publicly acknowledge that this citizen was justified in responding armed with deadly force to a perceived threat, one in which there doesn't appear to have been a physical attack on her person, yet a threat none the less, the general public will or may most likely more readily accept that a firearm is a valid and preferred method for ending an assault with the best results. In a situation like this openly carrying the firearm and demonstrating a willingness to use it were probably the most effective actions.

The local law enforcement will have to decide whether or not the situation outweighs the ordinances or statutes that may have been violated in order to provide protection to a potential victim. This is a good measure of how local LEO feel about open carriers or carriers in general. I do understand this is an off duty police officer and there is some measure of loyalty between LEO's, but I still think the response from local LEO and DA is telling.

In this case firing the weapon into the ground apparently ended the altercation without harm to anyone.

M

McX

what's an illinois cop doing with a gun in wisconsin. i thought they didn't allow guns in illinois?

B

bhancock

what's an illinois cop doing with a gun in wisconsin. i thought they didn't allow guns in illinois?

Actually, Winona is in Minnesota. She probably vacations here so she doesn't have to give up her right to bear arms for defense. I wouldn't vacation where I wasn't allowed to carry.

anmut

Off duty cop, approached by two men at the same time shoots a .380 into the ground. Being from another state and without a radio to hail backup and, presumably a rural location, it sounds pretty justified.

J.Gleason

Banned
Actually, Winona is in Minnesota. She probably vacations here so she doesn't have to give up her right to bear arms for defense. I wouldn't vacation where I wasn't allowed to carry.

An off duty police officer is protected under LEOSA and can carry a concealed firearm anywhere in the united states with very few exceptions. I am sure this officer was ccw until she thought the firearm was needed.

Just goes to show that no matter who you are or where you are there may be a time when a firearm is needed. Better to have one along and not need it then to need it and not have one along.

B

bhancock

Just goes to show that no matter who you are or where you are there may be a time when a firearm is needed. Better to have one along and not need it then to need it and not have one along.

That is a fact. Many times when someone asks me why I carry a gun, I answer "just in case I need it".

Given the recent epidemic of off duty Illinois officers (Chicago area) being killed in Illinois, I think I'd be spending my time off away from there as well. Is there some prohibition on off duty officers carrying IN Illinois? I thought that was the case of the officer shot trying to stop the theft of his motorcycle, but his father a retired officer was able to because retirees were allowed.

J.Gleason

Banned
That is a fact. Many times when someone asks me why I carry a gun, I answer "just in case I need it".

Given the recent epidemic of off duty Illinois officers (Chicago area) being killed in Illinois, I think I'd be spending my time off away from there as well. Is there some prohibition on off duty officers carrying IN Illinois? I thought that was the case of the officer shot trying to stop the theft of his motorcycle, but his father a retired officer was able to because retirees were allowed.

All Police Officers, including Illinois Police officers, both active and retired are protected under the federal law LEOSA for ccw nation wide.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are righteous shootings (discharges) and righteous postings - IMHO we have both here.