• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Revenue source for the states and Feds

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Something in another thread reminded of this. He mentioned how the People's Republic of California probably going to legalize and tax marijuana.

Here in Reno, the sales tax rate is over 10%. That means if I buy a $500 pistol at a gun shop, the state gets more than $50. That's a whole lot more than the sales tax on any drug out there would be.

The People's Republic, other anti-gun states, and the Feds should be held to account for their attempts to stifle this source of revenue.

Consider the sales tax on, say, a new MP5K. I am NOT talking about the NFA stamp, because that's an unconstitutional restriction. I'm talking JUST about the sales tax. Figure the market price at, say, $3000, and that would be $300 sales tax just on that one item. Then there is all the other stuff that will go with it -- magazines, accessories, ammo by the case -- and you, Mister Tax Man, will see maybe a thousand dollars on this one sale over the next several years. Can you name anything else that the average person will buy which will bring you this kind of return? A house, sure, a car, maybe . . .but most people only buy one house and a couple of cars. I don't know too many people who own only one or two guns.

Now, multiply that by a few thousand other people buying pistols, machineguns, imported guns, etc., that are currently banned by Federal or state edicts . . .there is probably a billion dollars in sales that the government is preventing, all for feel-good laws which don't protect anyone.

If you want the money, Elect Official, all you have to do to get it is get out of the way between me and the guy who wants to sell. And if you don't, then the next time you talk about being so broke that you need to cut fire and police payrolls, we're going to ask why you haven't taken steps to open up this new stream of money.

nomidlname

FYI. The tax rate for Reno and Washoe County is 7.725% Any city, state, or county that legalizes a gateway drug that is just as or more harmful and just as or more addictive than something they have been trying to make illegal (cigarettes) is complete idiocy. It boggles the mind.

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Any city, state, or county that legalizes a gateway drug that is just as or more harmful and just as or more addictive than something they have been trying to make illegal (cigarettes) is complete idiocy.

I'd rather just get the government out of meddling with people's lives. Every time the government gets involved they just make things worse. Making drugs illegal has caused more problems than it has solved. It is a major cause of crime and a major drain on public resources and justifies the government to be even more invasive in order to enforce their rules.

Sabotage70

FYI. The tax rate for Reno and Washoe County is 7.725% Any city, state, or county that legalizes a gateway drug that is just as or more harmful and just as or more addictive than something they have been trying to make illegal (cigarettes) is complete idiocy. It boggles the mind.

I'm sorry but cig's are way more addicting than pot. When someone quits smoking pot they don't go through 3 months of withdrawals like with cig's. Pot doesn't destroy lives the way alcohol does. When someone gets high last last thing they want to do is go around and fight someone like drunks do.

You should read a little about why it was made illegal in the first place. Just google marijuana propaganda.

Here let me do that for you. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=marijuana+propaganda

wrightme

Something in another thread reminded of this. He mentioned how the People's Republic of California probably going to legalize and tax marijuana.

Here in Reno, the sales tax rate is over 10%. That means if I buy a $500 pistol at a gun shop, the state gets more than $50. That's a whole lot more than the sales tax on any drug out there would be.

The People's Republic, other anti-gun states, and the Feds should be held to account for their attempts to stifle this source of revenue.

Consider the sales tax on, say, a new MP5K. I am NOT talking about the NFA stamp, because that's an unconstitutional restriction. I'm talking JUST about the sales tax. Figure the market price at, say, $3000, and that would be $300 sales tax just on that one item. Then there is all the other stuff that will go with it -- magazines, accessories, ammo by the case -- and you, Mister Tax Man, will see maybe a thousand dollars on this one sale over the next several years. Can you name anything else that the average person will buy which will bring you this kind of return? A house, sure, a car, maybe . . .but most people only buy one house and a couple of cars. I don't know too many people who own only one or two guns.

Now, multiply that by a few thousand other people buying pistols, machineguns, imported guns, etc., that are currently banned by Federal or state edicts . . .there is probably a billion dollars in sales that the government is preventing, all for feel-good laws which don't protect anyone.

If you want the money, Elect Official, all you have to do to get it is get out of the way between me and the guy who wants to sell. And if you don't, then the next time you talk about being so broke that you need to cut fire and police payrolls, we're going to ask why you haven't taken steps to open up this new stream of money.

Don't bet on that statement. Compare any possible drug tax to that on alcohol or tobacco. It is most likely to be near to those. And besides, this is way off-topic.

Last edited: